Muzzleloader Question

sfcsmart

FNG
Getting ready to pick up a new ML. Contemplating on the Accura LRX in .50 cal. I'm finding that BH 209 is next to impossible find in my rural area. I haven't shot pellets in years. I know it's a personal choice, but any recommendations on powder?

I bought some BH209 when I found it, but still haven't made the switch. At first it was because I couldn't find non-ML 209 shotgun primers. Now it's because my setup with Pyrodex pellets has worked consistenty for years. I'll make the switch when I run out of my current batch of Pyrodex, but honestly I have had nothing but good experiences with Pyrodex and would keep using it without issue if I never heard of BH209.

SloppyJ

WKR
There is BH209 everywhere around me. I bought a few bottles when I got them for $35ea. Still have em and they should last for a while. I use them in my Accura MR-X. I took two deer with it this weekend. 100gr by volume 209, cci mag primer, Scorpion PT Gold 300gr. For as long as a bottle of that will last me, I don't mind paying up. It's hands down easy to work with, more accurate, and much cleaner than anything else.

wyosam

WKR
It used to be expensive when it was 35-40 for a 10oz bottle (compared to everything else that comes by the pound). Now its $80 and they shrunk it some more to 8 oz. That $160 a pound. Eff that, they can keep it. Shoot pellets, shoot loose pyrodex or 777 and don’t overpay unless you just have to have an easier cleaning regimen at the range.

I just bought an Accura MRX, and have a half a jug of BH209 from a few years ago. I’ll probably use that to get the sights close and do some barrel break in, then switch to loose 777 (or maybe pellets if they happen to shoot well).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

$80 for 8 oz of BH209 at 70 grs by wt (100 grs by volume) is $1.60 per shot.

Pretty comparable, really, to factory ammo for most hunting rifle calibers.

BH209 gives (me) the most reloads for accurate shot placement before swabbing the barrel moderately clean, which is what you want in any normal hunting situation.

I will say that I have not tried the loose 777, so can't comment on that one.

Stalker69

WKR

BH209 gives (me) the most reloads for accurate shot placement before swabbing the barrel moderately clean, which is what you want in any normal hunting situation.

In most hunting situations, I can't imagine more than two shots being needed, at the most.

wyosam

WKR

Even really big magnums don’t burn anywhere near 1.60 a shot in powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even really big magnums don’t burn anywhere near 1.60 a shot in powder.

Didn't say they did. They do cost close to $2.75 per shot at a minimum though.

We're talking cost per shot, not cost per component...

I heard another hunter in mz season this year shoot 5 x in one hour. I think he hit bull and was following the wounded bull and shooting again over a small area

Stalker69

WKR
I have several muzzle loaders and shoot goex in all of them ( not knowen as a clean burning powder by any means) . I can easily shoot 6-8 times without running a cleaning patch between shots if needed. Never needed it in a hunting situation, but when at the range to see what it takes for accuracy to fall off or can't get bullet or patched ball to load. By the way, goex is back in production for those that use it.

Depending on your location I'd suggest looking into getting something that'll shoot smokeless. I have 2 smokeless muzzleloaders. You can build them from mild to wild. Once you go smokeless you'll forget about the others. I shot a TC Omega for years, still have it. There's a group on Facebook, I believe called Smokeless Muzzleloaders or something like that to get more information. Jeff Hankins, Jeff Fisk (Only converts TC Omegas, Luke/Arrowhead, Michael Garnett) or some of the builders out there. Any more questions feel free to PM me.

wyosam

WKR
Didn't say they did. They do cost close to $2.75 per shot at a minimum though.

We're talking cost per shot, not cost per component...

I suppose for factory ammo, but for someone who reloads, a ML shooting blackhorn is about as expensive as it gets.

Even at your 2.75 a shot. Depending on what bullet you’re pushing with BH209 you’re probably real close to that 2.75 a shot with powder, bullet and primer (maybe over, depending on how and when you bought primers).

I suppose for factory ammo, but for someone who reloads, a ML shooting blackhorn is about as expensive as it gets.

Even at your 2.75 a shot. Depending on what bullet you’re pushing with BH209 you’re probably real close to that 2.75 a shot with powder, bullet and primer (maybe over, depending on how and when you bought primers).

I specifically stated factory ammo in my first post for that very reason.

The avg joe hunter using factory ammo is the same avg joe hunter using BH209 and Barnes T-EZ.

Sorry, but using BH209 really isn't the end of the world...

Honyock

WKR
#1 BH 209 and #2 Triple 7 pellets. Luckily I have plenty of BH 209 because the cleanup is so much easier with BH209.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved

The avg joe hunter using factory ammo is the same avg joe hunter using BH209 and Barnes T-EZ.

Can't beat BH209 and Barnes T-EZ's

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

wyosam

WKR

Not the end of the world, but if people would let it sit on the shelves it might not be so stupidly priced. I don’t really care, i don’t shoot my muzzleloader for high volume, and it’s getting cleaned afterwards anyway.