My 300WM Load Dev - Tikka CarbonSix Featherlite setup

philcox

WKR
Starting load dev. Did my first 10 rounds down the pipe on the new barrel. Not to start the load dev. I get very confused as to the SO MANY ways to do it. I am going to do the following:
  • 175g Barnes LRX, Ramshot Hunter, CCI 250, Nosler Brass
  • COAL is to fit the Tikka Magazine
  • I loaded 7 rounds: 74.0, 74.5, 75.0, 75.5, 76.0 ,76.5, 77.0
I will shoot those @ 300y and use my Magneto Speed to get velocity. See if I can Identify a flat velocity node (and look at impact) and pressure.

Assuming a velocity node somewhere in that set, I will do another set to better refine the load, and then do a couple 5 group shots to validate.

Will post what I come up with here....

I have done a few different methods of load development including what you are describing. Honestly I think optimal charge is the way to go, followed by a seating depth test. At the end of it all use the magneto to measure velocity without paying too much attention to ES. Test at the farthest range you would hunt. Many times you will find better groups that do not necessarily have the best ES, but it will not matter inside of 1000 yards and may not matter beyond that either.

Paper doesn’t lie, but the chronograph can sweet talk you into the wrong powder charge.

Marble

WKR
Instead of half grain increments, I prefer .3 grains. Too easy to skip it that way. Good luck
I've actually been doing .2 and had good luck. But with suppli8 so tight it'd hard to do it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I've actually been doing .2 and had good luck. But with suppli8 so tight it'd hard to do it.

Supplies are tight which sucks. I ran thru 5 pounds of rl22 and swapped to h4831sc as I wasn’t getting the results I wanted. Satisfied this far tho and under 15 shots with the 4831. Had 2 nodes with a variation under 20fps. The node I went with was about 6fps across 3 shots and .3 increments. Quite a bit slower than the 22 tho.

Marble

WKR
Supplies are tight which sucks. I ran thru 5 pounds of rl22 and swapped to h4831sc as I wasn’t getting the results I wanted. Satisfied this far tho and under 15 shots with the 4831. Had 2 nodes with a variation under 20fps. The node I went with was about 6fps across 3 shots and .3 increments. Quite a bit slower than the 22 tho.
Glad you found what you needed.

I actually have a PRC I am going to be finishing up with shortly. If I get 3 loads .2 apart with some what decent ES, I'll just pick one and load up 10 rounds. I'll go hit the range and see what they do at distance. Sometimes doing this and fine tuning seating depth finds what I need.

All im looking to acheive is to keep it around a softball plus some, at 600 yards off the bench. If my gun is close to that then I'll I need to do is my job which has way more room for error.

I’ve been loading in 1 grain increments to find pressure then back down from pressure in small increments. Saved a good amount of components this way lately

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
What projectile you using? What recipe?

What projectile you using? What recipe?
Fed 215 gold medal match primers, Norma cases, 178eldx, 73.7 gr is h4831. Obviously work up to the load. It’s not the fastest. It’s pretty tame honestly. But it shoots good. This was my seating depth test. 9A8BFAFE-AC48-45FD-B63B-2538F08AA986.jpeg

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
Ok, after a BUNCH of trying with the 181 Hammer Hunter, I ended up with 175 LRX, 73.3g RL23, ADG, CCI 250, 3.360 OAL @ 3100fps. The Hammer was the best load by far (1/4 moa) but it was too much pressure, and backing it off spread the groups. I opted for the 175, shooting sub-moa, so it works. I may try another load if components get more available, but at this point, that is the load I will be using.