MY ARROW BUILD/GUIDE: BARE SHAFT TO FULL SEND.

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Fam! Well it took me about a month but I told you I would document my arrow build and most of you wanted to see. Here is a little 49 page guide I put together. :ROFLMAO:

I had to compress the PDF so I could attach it. IF it comes out blurry let me know I can upload the full resolution version on Issuu and link it on here (y)

Attachments

• Arrow Guide Rokslide compressed.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 291
Last edited:
Good lord dude, that must have taken forever to write and document all that, perfect time for it being home on lockdown. Great info and it will help a lot of guys starting out building arrows.

MattB

WKR
Very comprehensive write-up. One question - why clean the inside of the shaft before you square the ends? Seems like carbon dust inside the shaft wouldn't affect squaring, and by shifting the order you would only need to clean inside the shaft once.

OP
WakePraySlay

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
Very comprehensive write-up. One question - why clean the inside of the shaft before you square the ends? Seems like carbon dust inside the shaft wouldn't affect squaring, and by shifting the order you would only need to clean inside the shaft once.

Thank you for looking through it! I like the thinking and you know what I thought about that too! You have a good point. The reason why I went ahead and cleaned the inside of the shafts twice is because after I cut them I wanted to get a accurate reading on each arrow. And secondly because I was doing most of my work inside and kinda wanted to keep things clean lol

You are very right though. If a guy wanted to clean the inside of the shaft just once he could after he squared the ends! Thank you for pointing that out 👊

Last edited:
Thanks for the thorough write-up. I appreciate your attention to detail.

I'm curious about your statement on page 6 that "A low F.O.C. will hold a better trajectory at longer ranges." I've not heard this claim before and would be curious to hear your reasoning.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, thats good.....a little wordy- grin...but good.

Personally I prefer massive FOC- grin <sarcasm>....if my arrow doesn't creak on the release while bending into a pretzel then there isn't enough tip weight.

____

OP
WakePraySlay

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the thorough write-up. I appreciate your attention to detail.

I'm curious about your statement on page 6 that "A low F.O.C. will hold a better trajectory at longer ranges." I've not heard this claim before and would be curious to hear your reasoning.
I appreciate your question and thanks for taking the time to look through it!

Soooo to answer your question let’s just think about the front half of your arrow right now. The FOC % is the percentage of the arrow weight at the front half of your arrow.

A high foc like 30%, has 30% of the total arrows weight in the front half portion of the arrow. the heavier the front half of the arrow the more accurate it will be much like throwing a dart. But what happens when you try to throw that dart over distance? It’s weight up front (high foc) will cause it to nose dive.

now a low foc is just the opposite (Given same weight between arrows). More balanced (low foc) arrow Will pull that weight back towards the back Half of the arrow creating a more balanced arrow but less accurate because there is not a ton of weight up front guiding that arrow. Creating a better trajectory than a arrow with a high foc. i hope this made sense?

OP
WakePraySlay

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, thats good.....a little wordy- grin...but good.

Personally I prefer massive FOC- grin <sarcasm>....if my arrow doesn't creak on the release while bending into a pretzel then there isn't enough tip weight.

____
Haha I bet you’re shooting amazing groups! A pretzel sounds good right now LOL

IdahoHntr

WKR
The FOC % is the percentage of the arrow weight at the front half of your arrow.

A high foc like 30%, has 30% of the total arrows weight in the front half portion of the arrow. the heavier the front half of the arrow the more accurate it will be much like throwing a dart. But what happens when you try to throw that dart over distance? It’s weight up front (high foc) will cause it to nose dive.

First of all, great write up! This would be extremely useful to any person getting into arrow building.

Second, you explained what FOC is incorrectly.

FOC % is the ratio of how many inches the balance point of your arrow is in front of the half way point of the arrow, divided by the total length of the arrow (see the attached image). If FOC was as you described then a 30% FOC arrow would actually have 70% of its arrow weight on the back half of the arrow and not be heavier at the front at all..

I'm not agreeing/disagreeing with your overall theory, but just wanted to clear up exactly what FOC is.

FOC.jpg

I appreciate your question and thanks for taking the time to look through it!

Soooo to answer your question let’s just think about the front half of your arrow right now. The FOC % is the percentage of the arrow weight at the front half of your arrow.

now a low foc is just the opposite (Given same weight between arrows). More balanced (low foc) arrow Will pull that weight back towards the back Half of the arrow creating a more balanced arrow but less accurate because there is not a ton of weight up front guiding that arrow. Creating a better trajectory than a arrow with a high foc. i hope this made sense?
I'm not convinced about the conjectured relationship between FOC and trajectory/accuracy, but thanks for taking the time to explain your thinking.

OP
WakePraySlay

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
First of all, great write up! This would be extremely useful to any person getting into arrow building.

Second, you explained what FOC is incorrectly.

FOC % is the ratio of how many inches the balance point of your arrow is in front of the half way point of the arrow, divided by the total length of the arrow (see the attached image). If FOC was as you described then a 30% FOC arrow would actually have 70% of its arrow weight on the back half of the arrow and not be heavier at the front at all..

I'm not agreeing/disagreeing with your overall theory, but just wanted to clear up exactly what FOC is.

View attachment 166887
No man you’re totally right!!! I was one of those brain farts you have when you think the right thing in your head but put it down differently! Thanks for clearing my mistake up! 30% and 30% does not equal 100% :ROFLMAO: yes 70% upfront! Thank you again!

OP
WakePraySlay

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not convinced about the conjectured relationship between FOC and trajectory/accuracy, but thanks for taking the time to explain your thinking.
No arguments or judging here brotha! To each his own! There is a lot of factors that go into trajectory of an arrow like drag, mass, and acceleration. Thank you for joining in!

Brendan

WKR
So, the whole idea of "A low F.O.C. will hold a better trajectory at longer ranges." might need a little bit more explaining.

In general, a high FOC will track better, not worse. And, given sufficient spine will tune easier. But, while a high FOC arrow might drift less in a crosswind, the tail can get blown out more than the point, causing an arrow to impact off-axis and give you penetration issues.

Where you say "Better Trajectory" - I think you just mean that the higher FOC arrow will drop more at long range than a lower FOC version of an arrow with the same weight (all else equal)? Maybe.... Sort of depends on the arrow speed, fletching, and some other things... Good quote from elsewhere:

The vanes provide drag, which lifts up the front end of the arrow. More speed, more drag, so more torque to rotate the arrow to level flight. FOC provides stability, changes the center of lift position, versus the center of gravity. So, as long as the speed of the arrow is fast enough, there is enough drag on the vanes, to keep the arrow in level flight. When the speed drops low enough, the drag on the vanes is not enough to keep the arrow in level flight, and the arrow will nose dive (just look at any recurve arrow fired at 90 meters...that's 100 yards). A zero percent FOC projectile will tumble...will be completely unstable in flight.