My CVA Optima V2

Buzby

WKR
For an upcoming CO ML hunt, I pre ordered a CVA Accura MR-X. When I found out it wasn’t going to be available until Aug, I purchased an Optima. Seems to be a good gun for the price. I had to do something about the looks. Also put a set of Williams peel sights on it. Hoping to get some loads dialed in soon.46155CA9-3BB2-4088-ABC7-6F3411E408DC.jpeg
317F9D13-4A07-4A75-9DD7-6BE38009F1BC.jpeg
6D8C1961-3FE9-40FC-BA0C-BB42116150C6.jpeg

Last edited:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looks nice, you rattled the barrel too right? Looks like a dark green rather than nitride. I have an optima that shoots quite well, planning to order another optima/accura shortly to set up another for the kids (have an old CVA to send in for trade in also). That Accura MR-X had caught my interest, didn't realize it wasn't yet released.

OP
Buzby

Buzby

WKR
Looks nice, you rattled the barrel too right? Looks like a dark green rather than nitride. I have an optima that shoots quite well, planning to order another optima/accura shortly to set up another for the kids (have an old CVA to send in for trade in also). That Accura MR-X had caught my interest, didn't realize it wasn't yet released.
Yes, painted the whole thing OD, before I did the sponge camo. The MR-X looks great, but according to muzzle-loaders.com CVA told them they won’t be in from Spain until mid Aug.

Carr5vols

WKR
Got a new optima and it's been at the smith since I got it changing a few things. What load workup do you guys find work well in it trying to reduce range time. I got the LR 50 cal option.

Fatcamp

WKR
Excited to shoot this one. Maybe tomorrow. My wife has an Any Deer tag here in South Dakota.

KIMG3855.JPG

OP
Buzby

Buzby

WKR
Got a new optima and it's been at the smith since I got it changing a few things. What load workup do you guys find work well in it trying to reduce range time. I got the LR 50 cal option.
What are you having changed?

Carr5vols

WKR
What are you having changed?
Main item is barrel drill and taped for open sights ( putting williams peep system on but having the end globe modified ( holes drilled in it) to allow more light in, paint inside white, and glow in the dark paint on cross hairs)..even though CVA recommends no bullets over 400 grains I am pretty sure I am going with no excuses 420 grains (.504 fit best for this barrell), and start with 80 grains of Blackhorn and work up...have not decided on wod or not...Thor bullets is my other option I am looking at but ???

OP
Buzby

Buzby

WKR
I tried 2 different bullet sizing packs on the Optima. First was Thors. The .500 pushed in with very light pressure. The .501 almost got stuck about 2/3rds the way down! The .500 looks like it had hardly engaged the rifling, while the .501 was a nogo. I’m not sure what’s going on there. I then tried the No Excuses pack. From .500-.504 they all pushed down relatively easy (I’m not sure any reached 10lbs of pressure), and showed progressively more rifling engagement.
434105D2-BAEC-4CD0-BF07-8EA2E11E101D.jpeg
5AD79124-C7B9-4AE1-831D-384BA22DAEC4.jpeg

Carr5vols

WKR
I tried 2 different bullet sizing packs on the Optima. First was Thors. The .500 pushed in with very light pressure. The .501 almost got stuck about 2/3rds the way down! The .500 looks like it had hardly engaged the rifling, while the .501 was a nogo. I’m not sure what’s going on there. I then tried the No Excuses pack. From .500-.504 they all pushed down relatively easy (I’m not sure any reached 10lbs of pressure), and showed progressively more rifling engagement.
View attachment 306861
View attachment 306862
I had the same issue with NE bullets the .504 was the best but still not as tight as I would have liked. But that is what I am going with. They are 420 grains and cva says not to exceed 400 grains...oh well.

eltaco

WKR
View attachment 306861
View attachment 306862

It seems to me the Thors flare out slightly on the skirt, in my rifle they only seem to engage on the skirt end. That said, I’d go with the 0.500 in your case. The bullet will expand out into the rifling when it gets bumped by the powder.

OrangeHat

FNG
Main item is barrel drill and taped for open sights ( putting williams peep system on but having the end globe modified ( holes drilled in it) to allow more light in, paint inside white, and glow in the dark paint on cross hairs)..even though CVA recommends no bullets over 400 grains I am pretty sure I am going with no excuses 420 grains (.504 fit best for this barrell), and start with 80 grains of Blackhorn and work up...have not decided on wod or not...Thor bullets is my other option I am looking at but ???

Williams just came out with a fiber optic peep, it’s awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLATHEAD

WKR
I just put the EAB peep on my .45 Optima Pro,,,3 shots later it was dead on.
Using original front sight.
80gr. of Pyrodex Select and a 260gr. 40 cal, saboted Precision Rifle Bullet.

eltaco

WKR
Williams just came out with a fiber optic peep, it’s awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody know the fiber and post size? Every other globe I’ve seen has been too large for precision shooting, IMO.

I see they have a set for the Knight Uktralight, but I’m wondering if I can use just the front glove with my Williams FP without height issues. May order one to try it out, as I like the FP adjustability for longer range shooting

Last edited:

02sedona

FNG
How are you liking the sights on the optima? I have the factory fiber optic and it worked ok this season. I saw these where available to replace the factory sights and was wondering how they worked out for you

OP
Buzby

Buzby

WKR
How are you liking the sights on the optima? I have the factory fiber optic and it worked ok this season. I saw these where available to replace the factory sights and was wondering how they worked out for you
810AB34D-1EEC-423D-9C5A-26C04D02B034.jpeg
I actually changed up the sights. The front globe was great in good lighting, but washed out real quick in lower lighting. Swapping back to a fiber front worked much better in low light, and nearly as good in good light. I also picked up a Knight and did a similar setup. Although with an open hood and a smaller diameter fiber. I feel like allowed for a bit more precise aiming. The setup worked well last season, and I was able to kill a mule deer on an evening sit

Attachments

• D6F92254-308F-4263-8AC9-EDF6A621B109.jpeg
    D6F92254-308F-4263-8AC9-EDF6A621B109.jpeg
    264.2 KB · Views: 26