My DIY Cargo Panel!!

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
Incredible job! What weight cordura did you use? Did you add any PALS to the inside? Very impressed with your work. You should be proud!

OP
ckossuth

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider
Incredible job! What weight cordura did you use? Did you add any PALS to the inside? Very impressed with your work. You should be proud!

Thanks Colby! I used 1000D cordura for the inside and outside. I have not added any PALS to the inside yet. I plan to though.

Lukeyn

Lil-Rokslider
So was it 72 inches before folding over to sew together? ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

mhedlund

FNG
Where did you source the 3 bar sliders? I can't seem to find the metal ones to attach the panel to the bottom of the frame.

Thanks
Mike

Where did you source the 3 bar sliders? I can't seem to find the metal ones to attach the panel to the bottom of the frame.

Thanks
Mike
Milspec monkey used to carry them but haven't in a couple months

I found some here:
*ITW Rounded Oval Slider 1" 08090-22 Tan Hudson Supplies buckles for straps

They are a Canadian company, so shipping is a little more expensive. They have a lot more buckles/hardware as well so I just stocked up on stuff like that to make the shipping not such a hit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

OP
ckossuth

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider

Thanks
Mike

They came from Hudson Supply. Like Don Carpenter said, try to order a good amount of product to help offset the shipping.

mhedlund

FNG
They came from Hudson Supply. Like Don Carpenter said, try to order a good amount of product to help offset the shipping.
I ordered last night. It wasn't tough to put together a good sized order. That have lots of great stuff!

Is there a standard plastic buckle? Is there a way to get some to work work existing buckles on the frame?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Last edited:

skindaddy

Lil-Rokslider
for those who have made one of these,
did you double up the material as in 2 ply it looks like the kifaru might be?
also how many points of attachment do you have to the kifaru harness? my harness has some extra loops sewn on it in the middle and such but my bag only attaches at top and bottom straps.

ckossuth what did you use for the edges around that panel? i forgot the name of it, remember where you bought it

marcb

FNG
for those who have made one of these,
did you double up the material as in 2 ply it looks like the kifaru might be?

ckossuth what did you use for the edges around that panel? i forgot the name of it, remember where you bought it

If you look at the first pictures whats happening there is that he has it full length, then folds it in half to finish it. So its two ply in that way.

The edges use grossgrain if you google up milspec grossgrain you'll find a number of suppliers.

skindaddy

Lil-Rokslider
ok thanks, yeah i knew it gets folded ,it just looks like maybe kifaru was actual 2ply but maybe not.

The Kifaru Cargo Panel is two layers with each layer having its own edge binding with grosgrain, with exception on the bottom which is just folded and stitched.

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
What size grossgrain? Are you just folding and grossgrain in half and sEwing it to the cut edge of the pannel?

What size grossgrain? Are you just folding and grossgrain in half and sEwing it to the cut edge of the pannel?
Thats what i do, i have heard of guys ironing the grosgrain first to make the sewing easier. 7/8" or 1" would be my choice. 3/4" is short when folded over.

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
Don,

Can you explain how you attached the loops to the pane? Does the Kifaru panel integrate the loops as part of a continuous pals webbing?

Don,

Can you explain how you attached the loops to the pane? Does the Kifaru panel integrate the loops as part of a continuous pals webbing?

I am a visual person, so I hope this helps you. It appears that the loops are a continuation of the PALS, however, I for the life of me cant figure out how they got the grosgrain over the webbing. When I made my cargo panel I actually cut and burned slits in the grosgrain and pulled the loops through.

skindaddy

Lil-Rokslider
ckussoth or don carpenter what color is that grosgrain? coyote? you get i t at rockywoods? ive seen the vendors just trying to find a color to replace the one i wanted, cannot seem to find the green close to kifaru.

also do you use straps to hold the outside(further from your back) panel to the frame? so you can adjust to different thickness loads i assume?

ckussoth or don carpenter what color is that grosgrain? coyote? you get i t at rockywoods? ive seen the vendors just trying to find a color to replace the one i wanted, cannot seem to find the green close to kifaru.

also do you use straps to hold the outside(further from your back) panel to the frame? so you can adjust to different thickness loads i assume?

The grosgrain color match for Multicam is coyote brown. Rockywoods should have some, but so should other suppliers. You can really use any color which is what I do most of the time. You can find 7/8" black grosgain at Joanne Fabrics.

The straps that attach from the frame to the panel use Kifarus K-clip connection system. The straps don't need a K-clip but I think you would be hard pressed to find a more modular and lightweight sytem. Lots of ways to skin that cat though.