My experience with the outfitter Tim Nelson Alaska Guide service

WMR

FNG
i noticed on Tim’s website that it says the outfitter takes possession of all the meat , unless other arrangements are made. Is this a common thing on backcountry hunts? It seems like a hunter would want at least part of the meat to take home.

Actually and legally, a killed and tagged animal belongs entirely to the hunter. That includes every last recovered ounce of meat. There's no legal way the outfitter can claim or appropriate it as his to keep. If any....ANY outfitter laid that idea on me I would quickly have him know how far he was overstepping his bounds. For me, moose success is actually more about what goes on the plate than up on the wall.

AKDoc

WKR
...For me, moose success is actually more about what goes on the plate than up on the wall.
Well said KD...the adventure, a meaningful life experience, being out there immersed in the world of the animal I am hunting, and bringing home meat to family and friends is what it's all about to me.

i noticed on Tim’s website that it says the outfitter takes possession of all the meat , unless other arrangements are made. Is this a common thing on backcountry hunts? It seems like a hunter would want at least part of the meat to take home.
I've not looked at the website, so that is a disclaimer...

That said, I'm making a benign assumption that what you read is the requirement that a hunter complete a "transfer of possession" form when his/her meat is picked-up in the field by the transporter while the hunter is remaining in the field. That is required by law when the hunter is not coming out with the meat at the exact same time on that flight (might even be required just to transport...I don't know for sure). There is a transfer of possession form on the back page of the published Alaska Hunting Regulations. I fill one out every year as part of my meat retrieval by the transporter at pick-up. Prearrangements are made by me with the transporter regarding what I want him to do with the meat when it comes out of the filed...and it all comes back to me.

If my benign assumption is incorrect....then yikes!

Perhaps if more hunters that got screwed would challenge bad outfitters through the legal system, there would be a lot fewer outfitters looking to do any screwing. Take good notes, jot down specific conversations and take pictures or video of relevant issues. Judges and jury pay very close attention to a well-prepared accuser. If I dropped 20 or 30K on a lame hunt there would be hell to pay and the outfitter wouldn't be in any hurry to repeat the process. Fraud is a crime and that's what the FBI and IRS are employed to prevent and/or prosecute. It's a lot easier than one might think to cause someone a LOT of hardship.

There should be a website for lousy guide services. I've been mostly lucky with the 5 outfitters I've used.

Worst case was my guide was drunk every night, & I had to take the truck keys out of his hands for the ride back. But he was up every morning ready to hunt.

AKPA18

FNG
Alaska BGCSB has (had?) investigator. At a minimum you should report to the board investigator so there is a record. 100%. I personally know a hunter who had a very positive outcome reporting his extremely negative experience. He doesn’t get his time back but did get his $ back.

I_am_Waz

FNG
There should be a website for lousy guide services. I've been mostly lucky with the 5 outfitters I've used
In this case I am not sure this operation would have been flagged as the research indicated no Red Flags prior to booking the hunt... that's why these forum's can be so helpful regarding gear/outfitters/ammo/guns./bows.

Gene