My feet do not agree with one another

dec0y

FNG
Last year I bought a pair of Lowa Tibets for a September archery hunt. They worked relatively well, however I had a much thicker sock than I needed on that trip and dealt with some extra heat in the boot because of it. And they were heavier than what I am used to (I generally backpack in tennis shoes). But I didn't blister despite a minor heel lift in the left foot.

Fast forward to present day and I am beginning to edit my gear list for the 2017 archery season. Of course, the boots are a major part component.

In the last several weeks I have tried on several boots from different manufacturers with the same general fact pattern--perfect fits in the right foot, and heel slipping in the left while ascending with a medium weight sock (all were stock insoles). My right foot apparently is tolerant of most boots, but the left I cannot seem to get to fit right in ANYTHING. I've tried the other Lowa offerings, Salewas, the Meindl boots that Cabelas carries, and some other brands. This weekend I'll have a chance to try on the Zamberlan offerings and perhaps Crispi. I believe that I have a wide forefoot and midfoot, with a narrow heel.

Does anyone else have this problem? If so, are there any remedies for a left-right disagreement?

I would say overall that I am not prone to blistering in my heel (30 miles in my Tibets didn't result in a blister, even with the heel slip, but it is annoying), although given my relatively recent foray into boots I'm not sure I'm willing to gamble that on a 7-10 day hunt.

Thanks for listening.

Akicita

WKR
You can try different lacing techniques to get the fit and comfort close to being the same. If your heel is slipping on your left foot try a heel lock box lace above the back-set eye and the first ankle eye from the bottom. I often have different lacing on my boots from day to day depending on swelling or inner boot pack out.

Last edited:

fishslap

WKR
I have the same issue due to a fallen arch in my right foot from a severe sprain in high school. The only two things that work are more stretching and flexible boots. Stiffer hiking or mountaineering boots won't work.

Ghost

Lil-Rokslider
Add a thin sole insert to the right boot. I wear walk fits in both boots, in order to get the right one to fit I have an additional insert as well as the font half of another insert. I can put 14 miles on with a heavy pack and ever have a blister. I pretty much have to do this with all my foot wear because of the walk fits.

The Meindl Perfekt Hunter boot works great for my feet, which sound about identical to the original poster's. Narrow heel, wider in the front, need a lift on one foot plus orthotics. No blisters or issues with the combo. I like to wear them with a single pair of wool socks. Doubling up socks
make them bunch up in steep terrain in my experience.

OP
D

dec0y

FNG
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I found the solution after spending 2 hours at the local REI:

Superfeet orange in size 15(?!?) cut down to size 10.5. Apparently I have VERY long arches. This with a heel lock lace per Akicita seems to do the trick. Hopefully it will hold up over distance!

Glad to not have to invest in new boots just yet. Thanks again.