My goat packing experiment

Legend

WKR
I wanted to update this thread since I finally got to pack meat with my goats. This was a rut hunt here in eastern Washington that I drew. I was expecting some snow but it ended up being in the 40s and super mild. Great for backcountry hunting, not so great for deer movement. On the morning of the second day I glassed up a decent buck (for this area) that I wanted to go after. I packed up my ridge camp and dropped down to the creek and set up camp knowing I was probably going to be coming back in the dark.

We crossed the creek and started our 1800 foot climb up the other side to get to where I had last seen the buck. Well when we got up there he was 100 yards from where I left him pushing does around. I got into 280 yards and as I was setting up for my shot the goats came up from below me and the buck spotted them. It ended up working in my favor because he sat there and watched them eat while I got steady. I shot the buck and he took a nasty dive off a cliff breaking some tines.

He died in some thick brush which ended up making it super difficult quartering him out by myself. But I did it and loaded the goats up. We got him back to camp just after dark.
The next morning I boned out all the meat and loaded up camp. Most goats were around 30 pounds and one was at 38. We had a 3 mile 2000 foot climb to make. I ended up having to take some meat off the heavy one and putting it in my pack the last half mile as he was slowing down a lot. I should have done more conditioning but we moved in August and I had to build these guys a whole new barn. Anyway we made it after about 2.5 hours. Gave them some hay and headed home.
Lessons:
1. I will never tarp up again, coats are the way to go. So much easier.
2. Tie them up while you are working on your animal, they will get curious and you might have to go retrieve them.
3. This was the deepest water crossing they have done, if you can get one across the rest will come. If you are doing this lead your best goat across.
4. Using 4 goats for a solo mule deer hunt was perfect. Not too much work and able to carry more than enough.

I can’t wait for summer hiking season and getting to do more hunting with them next year.
View attachment 665831View attachment 665830View attachment 665829
View attachment 665832
Looking good.

Not to pick an argument but the coats are just to make the human feel good. We run with no shelter to sub zero temperature and no issues with goats.

The key is to not pamper them at home so they grow hair. Ours have a wind shelter only and this year we saw -37F....goats were fine.

OP
Bachto

Bachto

WKR
Looking good.

Not to pick an argument but the coats are just to make the human feel good. We run with no shelter to sub zero temperature and no issues with goats.

The key is to not pamper them at home so they grow hair. Ours have a wind shelter only and this year we saw -37F....goats were fine.
Do you think there is an argument that if they are spending a lot of energy keeping warm that they will have less energy to pack? That was my thought on the coats as I know they can handle pretty nasty weather.

They don't get pampered too much at home, just a shelter to keep them dry and out of the wind since we get a lot of that. It was supposed to rain and potentially snow which is why I brought them.

GoatPackr

WKR
Do you think there is an argument that if they are spending a lot of energy keeping warm that they will have less energy to pack? That was my thought on the coats as I know they can handle pretty nasty weather.

They don't get pampered too much at home, just a shelter to keep them dry and out of the wind since we get a lot of that. It was supposed to rain and potentially snow which is why I brought them.
They are fine without a tarp or coat. But considering you were expecting rain then a tarp or coat isn't a bad idea. A wild animal can get shelter but our goats are tied and not able to keep themselves dry. That's important thing. A little moisture probably not a problem but wet and cold Can be a problem.

Kris

Legend

WKR

Interesting perspective and it never really crossed my mind that their caloric demand would be higher, which is obviously accurate. My guess is that you would struggle to measure the difference in packing performance. If you bond with them there is nothing that will make them quit.

We always hunt where there is timber and try and camp where there is cover. We just tie them up to a tree.

Goats are amazing and short of saddling an elk nothing is going where they can.

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
Yes I can when I get home. It's nothing too fancy. It's a 12 x 24 lean-to style shelter. Half of it is shelter for the goats, the other half it hay storage for the winter.
Thanks man!

What’s the life expectancy for a pack goat?