My hammock set up my last trip

blgoode

Lil-Rokslider
My hammock set up for low of 20 in high winds didn’t let me down. I thought I’d share my setup.
The unequipped protector is basically a wind block for your insulation hanging on the bottom. Most situations you don’t need this piece. And the outer material on the under quilt is adequate enough.
What I like about this size tarp is it is plenty of rain protection and it still has a small footprint and light weight. I’ve had bigger tarps and larger doors and they are just simply overkill and large. Ironically my heaviest rain storms have been with a smaller tarp than this with no doors and zero issues were present. it’s all about the pitch!
The Underquilt protector is not most of the time used.
I still think the 20° top quilt would have been fine without supplementing the 40° with it. But for this small amount of weight the added insurance was worth it.

Blackbird original 22.45 oz
Thunderfly 13.4oz
Hammock Gear 0 UQ 26.68oz
Underquilt protector is 5.4oz
20 TQ - 21oz same as ground shelter I
40 TQ - 15 oz same used as ground shelter

Stakes are maybe 2 more than ground shelter I used.

So total for the hammock, tarp and UQ are 62.53 oz (basically 4lbs total) not much different than my old ground setup total weight. Not enough to matter anyways and the added comfort and ability to sleep over rocks and water running in on you, sitting to put boots on, etc., have made my life much much easier in the woods.

Us hangers are the minority here. I prefer my bear burrito in serious cold when I'm w/o a stove. Much easier to stay toasty in a smaller space and I sleep quicker and better.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 27
OP
blgoode

blgoode

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. We are the minority in this forum but oh man does it work for me in NC. We have so many trees it’s like the Bivy for the south east!!