My son got a nice Elk in Eastern Idaho!

OP
IDShane

IDShane

WKR
Well let's see if he will the following is from my son...

4:30am and me, my girlfriend, and her dad are woke up by the the bull. We got up while he was still screaming and quickly got within 100 yards. As I was rounding a corner of the woods and meadow line I was met face to face with a calf which essentially ruined the morning hunt. We continued upwards as that was the way we heard the bugles until he shut up. He bugled again at 11am while we were sitting about mid mountain and we headed in a direction that we thought would give us a vantage point to see him for the first time. That never worked. Instead we found a wallow about the size of a small pond and no elk for the next three hours... Finally my girlfriends dad decided to get out of there for a sec and bugle uphill to see if anything was coming or in the area. Over the radio of a garmin rhino 750 we heard that there was two bulls screaming above us. Almost running up the hill we closed the distance where I identified that this was our bull from the morning by glassing up the same calf that blew the morning. A few hundred yards later I could hear him screaming and once again confirmed it was our bull. I stripped off my pack and headed up with a rifle and a shooting tripod. At the bottom of a clearing I saw him walking away from me at about 200 yards towards his cows. He turned broadside and I fired the first of three from my 300prc. He was knocked on his back with the first and the last two were used to finish him off with only 20 minutes left in the day.