My thoughts on the Kowa BD ii 6.5x32 XD

My initial thoughts after unboxing them, I noticed that there was a small amount of slop in the focus wheel and a touch of a gritty sensation while focusing (I expected that it will get smoother with use and I don’t know how to explain it). I did get to play with the focus and check it out under different lighting conditions and glare. It focuses well extremely close (very impressed). They feel solid in hand and very well built. Just from observing in the house, I can use most of the field of view to read size 16 or so font from edge to edge at 15 feet away without an issue and I hardly notice the drop in resolution (maybe starting to become noticeable at about 70% from the centre, I do not find it an issue with it though as the field of view seems so big).

OP
S
A day after the unboxing:

When inside and directly underneath artificial light I do notice a touch of glare. When outside it was not as noticable.

Looking from the objective back through, it is a perfect circle, but when you look closely you can see the diagonal line of the prism.

Measured close focus is 1 meter. I can easily and clearly read writing and see high resolution detail at this distance. Very impressive to me.

When focusing, if I focus on something at 70 meters away, the resolution/focus is still great on an island that’s 1.2km away. I love this, exactly what I was looking for out of them.

The sweet spot as stated in yesterday’s first impressions still holds true... the beauty is I really have to look hard to find the area of diminishing resolution (if I look out then naturally, it is not noticeable). Very impressed with the sweet spot.

The focused grittiness has become smoother, and focus slop is slight.

I am loving the feel, ergonomics and size of these binoculars.

Field of view is phenomenal as expected, and I did not notice any rolling ball effect when panning.

So far, exactly what I was looking for.

When compared side by side to some old bell and howell 8x40 porro’s that I have kicking around the house, there is a noticeable difference in clarity and contrast (to the favour of the Kowa’s). Looking forward to comparing these to my meopta MeoStar b1.1 8x56’s when I get to giving them a go. I feel the Kowa’s and Meopta’s will give me all I need in binoculars. I will also be comparing these to fujinon FMT SXR 7x50s and my bosses Bausch & Lomb’s in January.

I do not have the experienced eye with optics when it comes to finding the small details to review them, but what I do know is they work incredibly very well for me. They are very relaxing on the eyes and so far a joy to use.

OP
S
Another follow up:

After a full day of use, I did notice some glare as I stated before at the bottom of my field of view. It was manageable though and still allowed ease of use for what I chose them for. The sweet spot is around 60% from centre ( a slight move of the focus wheel brings the outer 40% into focus). I would say I can read the aforementioned font to about 85% from centre.

I still haven’t found the opportunity to really look for CA. Not enough contrast where I was today.

It might sound weird, but while using them the day after getting them I didn’t notice any slop in the focuser, the gritty sensation was also gone... nice and smooth.

The feel of these binoculars in the hand is great, and the build quality seems exceptional for chinese made binoculars. The eye cups have great tension when twisting them out and hold the chosen setting well.

Still enjoying them. Serving the purpose I had for them well!
- low profile
- great field of view
- Easy on the eyes
- easy to use (doesn’t require much focusing)
- just the right amount of magnification to keep this smaller binocular perfectly useable in low light
- great depth of field and focus
- great for scanning a big area quickly
- exceptional close focus distance
- at the sale price of 340 USD a great price for what it is

Downsides for me so far:
- glare shown on the bottom of the field of view under certain conditions

OP
S
Alright, I got to use the binoculars while there was snow on the ground and an abundance of leafless alder and birch. I didn’t notice any CA when I wasn’t looking for it, when I did look for it, it’s hardly noticeable in the centre and noticeable but not exaggerated on the outside of field of view.

From 95+ % the field of view from centre the field of view darkens to become unusable (not a big deal at all, since you really have to look to notice it.

The only thing that is a bit of a pain with these binoculars is the rain guards. They are as troubadour said: tight fitting.

I will live with it. Not about to go buy replacements.

Anyways, that’s my final virdict.

Love them. They are exactly what I was expecting and are a joy to use. Perfect for scanning big areas while hunting.

OP
S
Urbannaturestore.ca has a Black Friday promotion. Jumped right on it. I believe Ontario telescope may still have them on sale for 475+tax

OP
S
My uncle used them this fall while moose hunting and had no issue. He used glasses with them.

low light, they are as you would expect, not quite at the level of my MeoStar 8x56, but honestly, perform very well, as well as any 8x42 I’ve used.

OP
S
One other thing to note, the eye relief appears to be greater than the advertised measurement