My Unit is on Fire...and not in a good way

The Indian Butte started just south of where I hunt on 9/12 here in Idaho. It has spread rapidly and is now over 12k acres burned. Looks like it will hit the forest and then....

So right now all the roads in that area are closed except for those that need to go retrieve campers (which is only until 10am this morning. It does not look like they will contain it any time soon, but will be watching the updates throughout the day and into tomorrow as I was planning on going in Saturday evening and hunting through Wednesday.

So do I wait it out, move some vacation time and hope that the fire gets under control so I can hunt the area I have been hunting the last 2 weekends and know that there are elk? Or do I move locations to an area I have not been to in 3 seasons? I am lucky that I live only 2 hours from both of these locations, but I do have limited vacation time so I want to put my eggs in the best basket.

oopslala

FNG
InciWeb the Incident Information System

This should have the most information you’ll find on the fire, but I don’t see an Indian butte fire updated yet which is odd, normally any fire that gets around 5k or larger is posted.

Did the fire just start up within 24 hours? They’re normally on top of it with 12-24 hour updates on fires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a big zone. No guarantees the fire dies down soon. I'd be making a plan B. It's always a good idea to hit new areas even if it's harder the first couple times going on.

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
There is a ton of country in that unit, and that fire is only chewing up a little part of it. It’s 20% contained and may be more contained by tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I once killed an elk in a part of the unit I had never hunted nor scouted. I wasn't having any encounters in my usual area. Not exactly the same situation as you are in, but the end result is the same: Go exploring.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I just looked and it says 50% contained now, but looks like bad conditions for Sunday

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk