Nallo 3 GT

Heading to Kotz next September (3-10) for a caribou drop hunt with one buddy and planning on picking up a new shelter for the trip, I keep finding myself considering the Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT at the top of my list, we are planning on sharing the shelter...we talked about going with 2 solo tents but pretty sure we both prefer to just take one and share, I've shared a two man tent with him several times and never had a problem (I'm also a small guy, 5'8"-135 lbs) This purchase would likely be used in the future for a Kodiak blacktail hunt and also other western style backpack hunts and camping here in the North Carolina mountains with my wife and little girl, but I have never used a hilleberg before and have a few questions

1: Is a footprint necessary with hilleberg tents? The nallo 3 gt is listed at 7 pounds and 1 ounce which is at the upper end of what I'd really consider for a backpacking tent with one other person, the footprint adds another pound and 6 ounces...the weight isn't really an issue on the Alaska trips but that's getting pretty heavy for a backpacking shelter...also how comfortable would you be taking just the outer tent and the footprint on a backpacking trip to save some weight?

2: For those of you that use the tunnel style hilleberg tents, how much trouble is it finding a suitable campsite? The nallo is 13' long with the extended vestibule and that concerns me some about trying to find an area big enough to pitch it

3: I've always used a freestanding tent, how hard is it to find a place to pitch it as far as driving the stakes in and them holding? Anybody struggle to find a place in rocky or sandy areas?

4: For anyone familiar with hunting out of Kotzebue, is this tent a good fit for the weather/terrain? Any major problems I'm overlooking or is there a much better option that I don't know about? I've toyed with the hot tent/tipi idea as well but just not sure how good of a fit that would be for me

Thanks in advance

sneaky

"DADDY"
The footprint will keep a lot of the condensation problems at bay. Without the inner tent you'll have basically a bomber single wall shelter, you can run it with or without the footprint, that's up to you. There's a Nallo 3GT for sale in the classifieds right now, as well as a 3GT footprint... might be a sign lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Been a while since I've been through Brevard, I'm from Ocoee originally. Y'all been getting hammered with rain, and we can't buy moisture out here.

OP
119bowhunter
The footprint will keep a lot of the condensation problems at bay. Without the inner tent you'll have basically a bomber single wall shelter, you can run it with or without the footprint, that's up to you. There's a Nallo 3GT for sale in the classifieds right now, as well as a 3GT footprint... might be a sign lol.

I’ve been keeping my eye on the one in the classifieds, trying my best to keep from impulse buying like I tend to do...I still have a year to go though so I could buy it used, try it out and see what I think without taking the hit of buying new...or use it for that trip and then sell it if I don’t think it’s for me

Yeah the rains been ridiculous here, I’m a mechanic at a marina and we had 4 boats sink in the past two storms...plenty of insurance work to keep us busy for the next little while haha

I personally think in wet terrain with my Nallo GT 2 it is worth the weight of the footprint. I will normally try my best to split up the weight between my and my hunting partner. I have not had much trouble finding area to pitch the tent. I dont worry to much about wind direction unless i see extremely high winds in the forecast. I have been toying around with the idea of making a DIY tent footprint to the exact dimensions of the tent and use the tent pegs as anchors.

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
A few years back was in a kinda similar boat. Decided on the Kaitum 3 for me and buddy. Used it backpacking into the Frank Church. Even split up it was to heavy, and got pretty ripe lol. From then on went with solos I got an Akto and him a big agnus copper spur. Much prefer the solos.

I'll run the kaitum with my younger kids when we go out.

GPool1842

WKR
Picked up the new Helags 2 this year and have had it at the boundary waters, on a backpacking trip with my wife, and elk hunting trip with my brother. We haven't had any issues finding places to pitch it, even at the boundary waters where tent pads can be small and very limited. For us, the vestibules don’t need to be on level ground, just the tent actual tent portion. We don’t have a footprint but may look into one for helping with condensation, as we are trying to get that under control. Never had issue with the tent not being freestanding.

Overall, we love the tunnel design. Wife and I spent a lot of time in the high alpine inside last month with altitude sickness or rainstorms and were both really comfortable.