National Forest Camping Ethics

Question for the group....

I'll be hunting in a National Forest come early archery mule deer season. As it so happens, I'll be working in the same state the week prior. I plan to go over to my unit to get some scouting in, but my ethics question is as follows:

As I understand the rules in this National Forest, I can camp for 14 days in a 30 day period. Is it poor taste for me to set up my camp the week prior knowing I will not be back until opening day?

I understand the risks associated with leaving my camping gear in country for the week leading up to the opener, but I'm more so concerned with the general consensus on "staking my claim" to a camp site. Thoughts?

Shoot straight.

Archeryisking

No , i think folks do it all the time . Not sure what thread it was on , but it sounds like the forest service was gonna start cracking down on people leaving campers longer than they should . I think for a while it has been a law but not necessarily enforced . Hear the bighorns in wyoming are famous for the "permanent" summer campsite program

no don't do it? or no its not poor taste?

I'd say its poor taste, but these days all bets are off lol. there are guys who set up weeks before and hunt the whole season. rules are only suggestions these days so if you don't do it, someone else will. FTW go have fun lol

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
When I am in this type of situation I find it useful to switch the positions.

If you showed up to your preferred camp spot and a camp was set up but unattended for a week while you were there, how would you feel about the unoccupied tent in your preferred spot?

Its 2023 anything goes as far as ethics . Dont bring your own camp . Just "squat" in someone elses camper . Lol
No kidding! I don’t know how many times I wished I had the balls to hook on to campers that have been in the same spot for the whole summer. There should be a 14 day limit with a first come first served salvage period.

11boo

WKR
I’ve been up all September and seen campers that were obvi pre positioned for rifle season. No activity around them all month, except I noticed FS stuck some note or ticket on them.

The way I look at it, since it's prior to season, an unattended camp is really no different than an attended camp. Just because a person isn't there, it's no different than if some chuckle head was just sitting there every day, drinking beer and ripping rotten farts, waiting for the season to open.

sndmn11

WKR
no don't do it? or no its not poor taste?

I'd say its poor taste, but these days all bets are off lol. there are guys who set up weeks before and hunt the whole season. rules are only suggestions these days so if you don't do it, someone else will. FTW go have fun lol

No =
Another "no, it isn't unethical or immoral to do so" vote from me, too.

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
Ive gotten a couple warnings from forest service after leaving my camper longer than 14 days during spring bear season. I think the rule is you just have to move 5 miles so I do that. When I leave the camper, there are usually no other camps around for miles. not sure why forest service feels the need to warn me, there's nobody looking to take my spot when it occurs.
If it is crowded/going to be crowded during season, I dont think it is unethical or immoral to save your spot so long as you are following the 14 day law. When it isn't going to be busy, I dont think the 14 day law should be in place.

I'll note that I understand why the rule is in place, but shouldn't be enforced if you're not squatting or taking a spot somebody else would be looking to camp.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I also don’t see a problem with it during the 14 days. Once you hit 14 days then just move to another spot. I know some people will say you are taking their spot but it is public ground so first come first serve. Or you can really pull a good one and pull your camp, go to town and come back the next day and reset in the same spot if someone else hasn’t set up there yet. 🤣