Neck injury...thoughts?

The last couple months have been pretty bad. I have been fighting through a neck injury. I've done all sorts of physical therapy, chiropractic and even acupuncture to help me out. After a long avoided MRI I've now accepted the large hernia pressing into my spinal cord is not going to just go away.. The last three weeks when I'm usually getting ready for season I've been completely sidelined. My fitness is horrible now as working out especially at normal intensity hasn't occurred in months.

Tomorrow I start injections... Obviously it's nerve racking for me because I try to avoid the knife/needles or even modern medicine. Either way I told my doc I still plan to hunt and he said I can however he didn't want me constantly backpacking. I normally pack in and go from there. I realize that's probably not good for me. So I'll pull out plan B...I'll fast pack light and fast from truck.

I guess I'm curious about others with similar injuries and what you guys do? Any one have any injections? We're they good? Not sure I wanna hear the bad..is there something you do in the field that helps you...? I know I will get through this as I've conquered alot in my life...I've overcome injuries alot of others wouldn't...I won't allow myself to fall apart however I know I have to be smart..the Dr has told me how bad this could be if I dont do the right thing...

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have degenerative disc disease in my neck which cause headaches and blurry vision and tingling (almost burning) in my left arm. No where near as serious as your issues I'm sure. Packing doesn't hurt me at all, in fact it seems to help but maybe that's mental. Neck support to sleep is necessary. I'm not one for the knife either so I've decided if it comes down to it, I'll just have them fuse my vertebrae with my head looking left so I can still shoot :)

I have degenerative disc disease in my neck which cause headaches and blurry vision and tingling (almost burning) in my left arm. No where near as serious as your issues I'm sure. Packing doesn't hurt me at all, in fact it seems to help but maybe that's mental. Neck support to sleep is necessary. I'm not one for the knife either so I've decided if it comes down to it, I'll just have them fuse my vertebrae with my head looking left so I can still shoot :)
I had a serious neck injury 15 years ago went through a year of therapy everyday , the injections were a god send . I was in so much pain didnt think I could go on . What helped me was 2 sessions of Injections along with excersize with the rubber straps , I would do the electronic therapy on neck and a warm pad everyday, for 15 minutes . I still have to use a chiropractic foam pillow for neck support. Its alot better now but has never been the same as it was before the accident. I woukd just do light exercise until your stronger. Then do what you can as you feel better . The excercise is super important always helps me get better than if im not exercising. GOOD LUCK , I know it can very very painful , hope all goes well for you

OP
W
Thanks guys for the feedback. You both have Gone and still going through some serious stuff. Started some PT. Doc wants me to change alot. No more weightlifting for 6 months. But he liked the idea of rucking when I walk. So that's a win in my book. He thinks if I take it easy and let the swelling disapate. Hopefully with a complete change I can manage everything and avoid the knife.

Good luck to you guys this season.

tttoadman

WKR
My doctor told me I could be paralyzed if I took a bad spill because the bone spurs were pushing my spinal cord. I saw the risks as about the same. I fused C5-C7 about 8 yrs ago, and I have been great ever since. I gave away 30% mobility, but that you can get used to.

Good luck in your battle.