Triathlon/Marathon/Endurance Sports Thread

grfox92

WKR
Are you kidding me? WTF.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
You are correct. I didn't see that coming. I've never done a race and wasn't expecting that. I'll have to look into the marathons on Billings and Redlodge and see whats coming up and sign up early.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used to run alot of ultras but kinda got burned out. I have found my groove again though and have a 25K coming up on 4/7. Plan do to an unsanctioned 50(ish)K in June as well. Hoping to work up to a 50M next summer.

WKR
I used to run alot of ultras but kinda got burned out. I have found my groove again though and have a 25K coming up on 4/7. Plan do to an unsanctioned 50(ish)K in June as well. Hoping to work up to a 50M next summer.

One of my lifetime favorite experiences was running across the Winds from Pinedale side at Big Sandy trailhead through the Cirque and on to Sinks Canyon above Lander. 50k, self supported (obviously) and it was so very cool.

WKR
I didn't run at all until I was 30 (mid 30s now), progressed quickly into road marathons with a 2:44 time this past December.

I also completed my first mountain 100k ultra last year at high altitude and caught the bug. I'm fully transitioning over and building up to a 100 miler in July (Montana), with a 100k in 3 weeks (Colorado), and a 50 miler in June (Provo). To top it off I signed up for the Rut 50k in Big Sky in September because it looks like a good time, although the timing sucks, it is appropriately named since it's right in time for the elk rut.

I just like pushing myself to see what I'm capable of. This past weekend I had a 5 hour run on Saturday (ended up doing 29 miles in the mountains) and 4 hours on Sunday (another 24 miles). It definitely builds leg strength and I've never felt better. People keep saying running is bad for your knees, but I tend to hear that from people who don't run.

I'm sure as I get older I'll transition more into cycling or something with less impact, which I do also enjoy. I'm planning to go out of this world with no tread left on my metaphorical tires.
My big goal is to notch a 100 miler. Good luck in Montana!

OP
O
This is what I'm currently doing, 10.5 to 11 minute miles. Soon I will start doing interval sprints.

Yup, did these yesterday and it sucked!

1.5mi warm up run to track near my house.

4- quarters (quarters consist of 1 time around the track, first quarter as walk/light jog, 2nd quarter a pace run, 3rd quarter about 3/4 sprint, last quarter a full-on sprint as hard as you can go.)

1mi (4 times around the track) as fast a pace as you can go.

1.5mi cool down run home.

1jeds

FNG
My big goal is to notch a 100 miler. Good luck in Montana!

You will get there, take it one day at a time and just be consistent. What I like about the ultra races (limited experience) is that it's you vs. yourself. The ego goes out the window. I'm fully expecting to hit some lows during the race, what I'm most interested in is seeing how I respond.

schmalzy

WKR
Great thread. Motivating to see so many other guys getting after it. Haven’t knocked out an ultra yet but in the sights this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
You are correct. I didn't see that coming. I've never done a race and wasn't expecting that. I'll have to look into the marathons on Billings and Redlodge and see whats coming up and sign up early.

Sorry you couldn’t get into Bighorn. I ran there 4 times. 3 50k and that is where I did my 50 m.

The 30k fills within hours.

Favorite place to run. When you run and smell elk that passed through earlier,,,, what more inspiration do you need! So many great memories. Volunteers are top notch.

Finish line in Dayton.

1710905597690.jpeg

grfox92

WKR
It sold out by around noon on the first day last year, I didn't check it this year. It's become very popular.
Yea I guess ignorance, I just had no idea it was like that. Having spent a lot of time in the bighorns it wasn't a place that I thought would exactly "fill up" it's a pretty big area lol.

Paladin

Elk Masher Wannabe
Man those Ultra's are no joke. I started doing Sprint Tri's in the off season which soon led to Olympic distance then Half Ironman, then full Ironman. We always laugh and say, marathon's are crazy but put a 2 mile swim and a 112 mile bike ride in front of it, yeah that makes perfect sense. Would love to do an Ultra one day (next level crazy) but I've got so many "check engine" lights on it may not ever happen.

Good Luck to everyone this race season! Go burn 'em down!

Awesome stuff!

A full Ironman has always been on my bucket list. At 55 I don’t know if I’ll get there but I’m doing the Oregon 70.3 this summer.

To keep me motivated and as a warmup I’m doing the Oregon triple crown gravel series.

In the past I’ve done the Portland marathons once and the Seattle half twice and a bunch of century and farther bike events, but it’s been a few years.

My primary goal is to finish, and not get injured in training.

Great thread!

Got into endurance sports 2 years ago.

I’ve ran a few marathons, done Olympic and half Ironman triathlons.

This year I have a marathon in May, couple Oly distance triathlons throughout summer/early fall. Also have a few local shorter distance races (5k-10k). I like doing the shorter races and really going out and pushing myself as hard as I can and trying to place in the top 10 overall.

Then full Ironman race in November.

I’m in better shape now than I was in my early 20s in the Army.

I’m not competitive in the longer distance stuff. I’m just a middle of the road guy. I’ll never qualify for Boston or Kona. But it is fun to push myself and see myself improve each race.

southLA

WKR
I run a few races a year, 10ks and half marathons. PR'd a 1/2 with a time of 1:39 last weekend. Run 30ish miles per week on average.

LostArra

WKR
Mainly road running in my 20s and 30s. (10k to marathons. 30+ marathons, best 2:49)

Drifted to triathlons in late 30s and 40's. (sprint and half iron man distances)

40's started just road cycling (crit, tt, and road racing) Criterium crash ended racing (broken scapula thru shoulder joint).

Now in my 70's. No running. Cycling is cruising thru the country side or hard hill repeats in HIIT fashion.
A lot of walking and rucking (hunt training). Heavy emphasis now on weight training. Keeping as much muscle mass as possible.
People don't go to nursing homes because of a low V02 max. They go because they are weak, frail and can't get up out of a chair. Don't be weak.

Last boomer comment: be careful out there when you are training. When I was doing all of my road cycling and road running (1970's, 80's and early 90's) people weren't driving cars down the road fondling their damn phones.

A month ago I was cycling on a country road where I usually see one or zero cars. A small white sedan going the opposite direction started drifting to the center line, crossed the center line and ran to the edge of the road on the opposite side she was traveling, right in front of me. I went in the ditch but remained upright. I caught a glimpse of this young woman as she went by and her phone was still on her steering wheel. I now understand the flashing LED headlights and tail lights used by the road cycling groups. Stay safe running or riding!

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Although I am several years from my peak running fitness, I do remember how I got there.

I was a high mileage guy. BUT most on my mileage was 90-105 seconds SLOWER than my marathon goal pace. (MGP) Someone else mentioned similar approach. BUT when I ran a workout, it was faster than MGP. (mile repeats. Tempo runs were my go to)

In 10K's and 1/2's, small problems stay small. When you run marathons and longer, small problems expand logarithmically. For 50-100 milers, problem solving is huge. In a 50 miler you will likely enter the pain cave at some point. How you resume (physically and mentally) is what separates you from the finish line or a DNF. In a 100 miler, expect this situation more than once. (And your expectations are almost always met!)

As to how peak running (or other endurance) fitness translates to backcountry hunting. My cardio and endurance was fantastic and I would not tire. But one of the most important things not often mentioned is mental toughness. Not so much from the actual events (50K or less). But the training cycles. If you can diligently follow a 16 week+ plan, you have battled adversity. I live/train in the upper Midwest. Most of the marathons are April (Boston), May, June. In turn your formal training will start as early as January. If you are able to stick to your schedule (regardless of weather), this mental toughness translates to hunting. Are you going to leave the mtn early with some sleet/cold? (For me, the answer is no. Been there/done that many times when I laced them up and went out the door @ 5:30 AM)

Good luck and enjoy.

OP
O
Awesome stuff!

A full Ironman has always been on my bucket list. At 55 I don’t know if I’ll get there but I’m doing the Oregon 70.3 this summer.

To keep me motivated and as a warmup I’m doing the Oregon triple crown gravel series.

In the past I’ve done the Portland marathons once and the Seattle half twice and a bunch of century and farther bike events, but it’s been a few years.

My primary goal is to finish, and not get injured in training.

Great thread!
I looked into that Oregon Triple Crown series. Looks bad ass! Seems like most of the events are already sold out so I'll be looking into those events for next year. Thanks for mentioning it!