Need advice , my pup is getting aggressive ..

Drenalin

WKR
Them pits are wild. We have a mix mostly Great Dane, Great Pyrenees and pit bull, we have our hands full.
Best dog I ever had, but she absolutely needed a ton of stimulation and exercise.

That’s an interesting mix - how big?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Best dog I ever had, but she absolutely needed a ton of stimulation and exercise.

That’s an interesting mix - how big?
Just turned a year so about full grown 50lbs. Looks like a mini Dane. She’s also 2% Chihuahua, we’re guessing that is what kept her small. IMG_8865.jpeg

KurtR

WKR
Anyone ever grab a dog by the back of the neck and back hide and lift them off the ground ? I read somewhere that that is even more dominating than flipping them on their back and grabbing for the throat . Curious if anyone has ever heard of this or used this method of correction
I don’t have to lift him just grab the scruff as he learned that what ever is happening it’s time to stop and sit down and listen.

Oldbuff

FNG
Making the dog submit has been one strategy that has worked for me in the past. Given the age of the dog, I'd be really cautious about punishing that behavior because it probably would make it worse.

jmez

WKR
Anyone ever grab a dog by the back of the neck and back hide and lift them off the ground ? I read somewhere that that is even more dominating than flipping them on their back and grabbing for the throat . Curious if anyone has ever heard of this or used this method of correction
I do this with pointers when breaking to wing and shot. Not mean with it, just lift them and put them back where they started if they move. If it continues you can give them a shake once or twice. Doesn't hurt the dog and most respond pretty well.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
This is a great thread. In my limited experience of gun dog ownership and training (2 GSPs and 5 English setters), I’ve seen and resolved similar problems. From my experiences and reading the thread I want to emphasize a few of my opinions:

1- immediate correction with a collar is better than hitting and physical aggression
2- dogs show much more aggression around kids than adults and I would never want anything but a robot dog free roaming around ANY kids. My own kid/dog included
3-Every dog I know that has ever bitten someone was always first introduced as “oh they’re friendly”
4- crates should be a safe place/home from the moment you get that dog home from the breeder
5-exercising high energy dogs has an extremely positive impact before training, AND on exciting new experiences in THEIR/your home
6-the most important trait I value in dogs is manners, and unfortunately I think 99% of dog owners don’t prioritize that in their canine family member.
7- dogs should never be allowed to “indulge” in our food. It only promotes annoying behavior

Weims are a notoriously difficult breed ever since their genetics were bastardized by puppy mills in the 90’s, capitalizing on the success and romanticization of some photographer who sold a bunch of calendars off his Weims in dumb outfits. There’s a massive discrepancy from one Weimaraner to the next as far as quality breeding goes and when gun dogs are involved it can be the difference between a companion and a massive liability.

Good luck to the OP on finding a good long term solution.

KsRancher

WKR
Squeezing the web in front of the back leg also gets attention.

The first time I met my brother's dumb lab he was a jumper and annoying as hell. I put my hand on his face and pushed him down until he was on the ground saying no all the while. Whenever he lifted his head i'd push it down until he gave up. Then he just laid there until i petted him and let him sit up. If he got stupid it was hand in the face to the floor.

Flash forward almost a year and I go visit and asd I walk in he's jumpoing on everyone and barking until he gets to me. Then he shuts up, lowers his head, and looks at me out of the corner of his eye. Not once does he think about jumping on me. Everyone is stunned.

The lesson is dogs are like kids and vice versa. They need boundaries from day one. And they do not necessarily transfer those boundaries from person to person.

For older dogs I have not seen much that works other than total domination, and sometimes that looks awful because they are so far along.
I thought I was going to get kicked out of Thanksgiving at my inlaws. Thanksgiving was at my wife's grandmother's house. They have goldendoodle that 1yr old. This dog is BIG. It's a house dog but when we got there it was in the backyard. I was sitting in a recliner holding my 10month old daughter. Someone let that thing in the house. The race was on. That dog ran a race all over the whole house, over furniture, jumping on everyone and so on. Well it made a 10ft leap into my lap with my daughter on my lap and started doing circles. I boxed that thing in face. I don't mean a swat. I close fist punched it in the head, and HARD. Knocked it to the floor. The room went quite. I mean you could cut the air with a knife. After a looooooong silence. My wife's uncle spoke up. "Come on doodle, let's go outside". No one in her family appreciated what I did, but no one said anything. I would have left the gathering before I would let a dog jump on me like that again. I know it's not the dogs fault. But unfortunately it gets to suffer the consequences from its owners not keeping it in check.

I had a willful dog once. Tested me often until i broke his will to test me anymore. People nowadays use all that positive reinforcement and treat their dogs like they’re people, that’s bs.

I barked ferociously (verbal reprimand) at him and smacked him sideways each and every time he tested me. Just enough to make it hurt and just enough to get my point across and get him to roll over, bow his head, look away, etc. He had to know i was the alpha and it was non negotiable. Once we settled that he was an awesome dog for the rest of his days.

I think this happens with dogs that were the dominant one in their litter. They rule the roost early on then think they’re the boss forever more. You gotta break that in them.

I thought I was going to get kicked out of Thanksgiving at my inlaws. Thanksgiving was at my wife's grandmother's house. They have goldendoodle that 1yr old. This dog is BIG. It's a house dog but when we got there it was in the backyard. I was sitting in a recliner holding my 10month old daughter. Someone let that thing in the house. The race was on. That dog ran a race all over the whole house, over furniture, jumping on everyone and so on. Well it made a 10ft leap into my lap with my daughter on my lap and started doing circles. I boxed that thing in face. I don't mean a swat. I close fist punched it in the head, and HARD. Knocked it to the floor. The room went quite. I mean you could cut the air with a knife. After a looooooong silence. My wife's uncle spoke up. "Come on doodle, let's go outside". No one in her family appreciated what I did, but no one said anything. I would have left the gathering before I would let a dog jump on me like that again. I know it's not the dogs fault. But unfortunately it gets to suffer the consequences from its owners not keeping it in check.
God i hate dogs like that. Always the result of their owners and those owners are the most likely to lose it on you when you treat their dog appropriately as you did.

*zap*

WKR
Put a leash on him and tell him to down. While he thinks about it hit him with a hard correction to down. No more running free for a while....on leash and demand immediate obedience. Limit free time in the house and put him in a box where he can see you'all. Let him sleep in the box.
See how that all goes and how things are after a month of that.

Fwiw, I trained police dogs for a bit....some pretty dominant dogs went thru my kennel.

KurtR

WKR
Ecollar is a great tool as long as they are collar conditioned. It’s not meant to teach it’s to reinforce already known behavior. If not the dog will get collar wise and have to always have it on.

Squeezing the web in front of the back leg also gets attention.

The first time I met my brother's dumb lab he was a jumper and annoying as hell. I put my hand on his face and pushed him down until he was on the ground saying no all the while. Whenever he lifted his head i'd push it down until he gave up. Then he just laid there until i petted him and let him sit up. If he got stupid it was hand in the face to the floor.

Flash forward almost a year and I go visit and asd I walk in he's jumpoing on everyone and barking until he gets to me. Then he shuts up, lowers his head, and looks at me out of the corner of his eye. Not once does he think about jumping on me. Everyone is stunned.

The lesson is dogs are like kids and vice versa. They need boundaries from day one. And they do not necessarily transfer those boundaries from person to person.

For older dogs I have not seen much that works other than total domination, and sometimes that looks awful because they are so far along.

Good point about them not transferring the same boundaries to each person. My dog doesn’t jump on anyone except one friend who encourages her to do it, which pisses me off to no end.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with putting a leash on him and a prong collar. Proper leash corrections will work way better than beating him. Make obedience a priority and teach impulse control. Exercise the dog, but also work him using obedience and impulse control. If he is truly aggressive keep a dominant dog collar on him. I’ve seen dogs react to corrections by coming up the leash and having something to choke them can help. It doesn’t sound like he is aggressive just needs more structure.
I’ve seen and worked a few “real” dogs, getting physical with them results in the handler going to the hospital.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
Good point about them not transferring the same boundaries to each person. My dog doesn’t jump on anyone except one friend who encourages her to do it, which pisses me off to no end.
I’m constantly angered by that, “one friend” to the depths of my core, yet… I married into a family of them.

tony

WKR
I didn't read all responses
Shock collar, do you have one?
Our Doberman has never once growled with food or taking food/bones from him. He minds my GF better than me. I let him get away with more things than I should and he knows it.
We started training as soon as we could when he was a pup. The collar was used for certain things. Mostly recall now as when he gets on a scent trail he takes off. These dogs have great noses.
You could start out low power or just try the vibrate at first. Use it with the food/treats and buzz or light shock him when he growls. You would be surprised how quick they learn with a shock collar. I just have to get the remote when ours is not behaving and he's doing what he's supposed to as soon as he sees the remote.

TSAMP

WKR
Didn't read everyone's comments but have you tried asking it nicely not to growl?

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
I didn't read all responses
Shock collar, do you have one?
Our Doberman has never once growled with food or taking food/bones from him. He minds my GF better than me. I let him get away with more things than I should and he knows it.
We started training as soon as we could when he was a pup. The collar was used for certain things. Mostly recall now as when he gets on a scent trail he takes off. These dogs have great noses.
You could start out low power or just try the vibrate at first. Use it with the food/treats and buzz or light shock him when he growls. You would be surprised how quick they learn with a shock collar. I just have to get the remote when ours is not behaving and he's doing what he's supposed to as soon as he sees the remote.
I do have a shock collar that was used to train him off leash on our walks , just buzz it and he complies .

Guys , this is a dog that is trained , to the point where he pisses on command . Yes he still has issues , he is very high energy and likes to run like hell when he gets excited . But , he minds great with the exception of wanting to put his paws on you , and people that visit . He uses his paws like hands to try to pull you close to him . I'm working on that .
And the whole growling and nipping thing . It's only been a day , but he knows things have changed , we will se how it works out .

KurtR

WKR
I do have a shock collar that was used to train him off leash on our walks , just buzz it and he complies .

Guys , this is a dog that is trained , to the point where he pisses on command . Yes he still has issues , he is very high energy and likes to run like hell when he gets excited . But , he minds great with the exception of wanting to put his paws on you , and people that visit . He uses his paws like hands to try to pull you close to him . I'm working on that .
And the whole growling and nipping thing . It's only been a day , but he knows things have changed , we will se how it works out .
Sounds like he will be fine. Just be consistent and keep us informed how it’s going. Lots of good advice