Need advice , my pup is getting aggressive ..

We started him in a kennel and it was good for a while , but when I started leaving him in it for work he started separation anxiety and destroyed it . That's when we started leaving him in the porch , and he seems to be better with the anxiety .
And I'd never made the distinction between field and obedience , but yes you're right .
Get a crate he can’t destroy.

Axlrod

WKR
On the ranch when i was a kid we had a racoon named George. When he was eating you had to stay 3 feet away or he would F U up! There was no training him we just were trained to stay away.
I truly believe there are no bad dogs, just bad owners. (there are bad racoons!) I also believe anyone that kicks or beats a kid or dog belongs in prison and then hell.

Stop giving the dog treats or table food and he wont expect it or have anything to growl over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
Well , now this has been resurrected , I got a WOKEEN crate from Amazon . He acts like he is scared to death in it , shakes like a dog shitting razor blades ( My dads old saying ) .
We did stop the treats and 24/7 food . And we did put the shock collar on him and it has helped him mind .
The neighbor gave him a treat and he tried to hide it , but I made him bring it to me . He didn't want to give it up , but did without growling . I took it twice , then let him eat it .
I'll keep you updated .

Well , now this has been resurrected , I got a WOKEEN crate from Amazon . He acts like he is scared to death in it , shakes like a dog shitting razor blades ( My dads old saying ) .
We did stop the treats and 24/7 food . And we did put the shock collar on him and it has helped him mind .
The neighbor gave him a treat and he tried to hide it , but I made him bring it to me . He didn't want to give it up , but did without growling . I took it twice , then let him eat it .
I'll keep you updated .
Progress - great news!

We have had GSD’s for the last 15 years, and the one we have now has been the most hard headed of all of them. Mix of German and Czech worki gmlines with protection and herding in the background. Good dog, watches out for anything in our yard, including the chickens. I have had to be pretty forceful with him at times as he was growing, he took to growling when we would take his food, which we had done periodically since he was eight weeks old. I got him by the scruff of the neck, put him down hard, and covered him with my body while yelling at him. Put an instant stop to the possessiveness with food.

Playing fetch, he repeatedly wanted to play keep away once he retrieved the item. He wasn’t getting it when I would put him down and take the item. So I started using two items. Throw one, he brings it back, I make him drop it, then I throw the second one. Now he drops the first item at my feet as a matter of habit.

All breeds have their idiosyncrasies, and it is our job as the master to be smart enough to get the message across to the animal that we are smarter and stronger than they are, and we are a trustworthy alpha. Blows my mind to see the people whose dogs run their lives.

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
I train dogs as a side gig, mostly retrievers, some bird dogs, and, unfortunately, some doodle type ridiculous types for obedience...

I wanted to agree with everything else you said. I'm on my 2nd doodle. Both have been great on pheasant, grouse, my first retrieved a few ducks.

I grew up with Brittany Spaniels, hunted with a few GSPs, a few Goldens/Labs/English setters. I wouldn't go back to any of those.

I have a litter pick/training strategy that works for me and for having dogs that I don't have to beat/shock to have dogs that aren't aggressive.

Growling at my wife/kids would be a red line for me. I'd be on top of that dog right then with my hand down its throat any time it had an inkling of being aggressive with anyone. If it repeated that mistake, it'd be over.

Years ago, I saw statistics showing the expected insurance payment for a dog bite was $10,000. The breed at the time with the highest frequency was a cocker Spaniel, which should give an idea how old those statistics were.

My first doodle put herself between me and a 3 1/2 year old charging bull moose, and turned it and ran it off. The only thing ridiculous is anyone dumb enough to choose you to train a dog you clearly hate...

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Fujicon

FNG
Breed is an obvious factor, but sometimes a dog can just have an aggressive personality. Luck of the draw. Most aggressive dog I ever had was a Maremma. 155 pounds and stunningly beautiful, but not friendly. Excellent watchdog, but a loner. Trust eventually faded and had to let him go. Lesson learned: select the breed's temperament that most closely matches the living situation he is expected to be in. And if the match still fails, let him go to a more appropriate living situation.

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
Well , seeings how this thread got resurrected from the dead , I'll give my follow up -
We followed most of the advice given here , thank you for that , and Buddy is doing much better .
We quit giving him treats , although I have given him some lately , but always in his bowl .
I make him wait until he's released to eat . He sleeps on his bed/cushion on the floor next to my bed , but has a crate on the back lania .
He hasn't growled or shown any signs of aggression since the onset of this thread . I'm not sure if it was a stage or his coming of age and testing his place in the family / pack , but it seems like he's over it .
I still won't trust him around kids or strangers , but he is a great dog . Very protective and smart as hell .

GotDraw?

WKR
The first time it happened I did , boxed his ears and kicked him in the ass . But I'm afraid that will just make it worse ??
So, you boxed your dog's ears? Seriously?
Genius, rookie move that could permanently damage his hearing.
Sell the dog or get yourself to a trainer.
That was not discipline, it was ignorantly cruel and you should be ashamed.
The dog is/was ruling the house, not you.
Maybe things have changed, but it still sounds like you're a bit lost RE control and understanding how to direct your pup.

JL

Last edited:

Lowg08

WKR
Maybe things have changed, but it still sounds like you're a bit lost RE control and understanding how to direct your pup.

JL
I will actually disagree with your premise. I raised hounds for years. Just like youngins. Sometimes discipline is needed. Not beating one down but a good whoopin will help. Best advice I ever got was they have to believe that you will hurt them. Does a youngin look forward to a whoopin. No, but they need them sometimes. If my dogs are doing something they shouldn’t be and they hear or feel me heading that way. They immediately go lay down. I have 2 bulldogs that are over a hundred pounds each and I have complete rule and reign over them. They only had to be disciplined a few times but they are extremely well behaved.

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR

JL
Ok snowflake , go find your safe place :cool: . My dogs have always been the best behaved in the group . I've had pit's , labs and this is my fourth Weimie , all have been great dogs . This guy is a little more wound up and tests me , but he will be fine .
I was asking for a outside perspective , and got plenty , which I appreciate , even yours . However misguided you are , I'm sure you meant well .

GotDraw?

WKR
Say what you will.

I have NEVER heard of, nor seen any legitimate owner nor skilled trainer "Box" a dogs ears in the name of "discipline" when you know full well that this could burst them.

If you need to call me "Misguided", or a "Snowflake"-- for bluntly questioning your training then do so. It fits with your training personality methodology.

JL

Last edited: