Need advise-Dry bag for hanging food

gostovp

WKR
I need to get a dry bag for hanging food away from camp during a backcountry hunt. Looking at Sea to Summit dry bags.
3-5 days of food, each day in its own 1 gal zip lock ( each days is one Peak meal, one pack pop tarts, a few protein bars, two individual packs peanut butter, pack of trail mix, and a bagel)

What size dry bag? 8L or 13L?
Which sea to summit bag? The Lightweight Dry bag (70d nylon) or the Ultra lite Sil Nylon bag (30d nylon)?

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Now that I think about it, I’m thinking I’ll need at least a 20L

I used a 13L last Fall and I pushed it to 4 days once but that was it's max. You'll want the 20L, I picked one up earlier this year and used it on a recent backpacking trip. That will have the space you need. I have the Lightweight in both those sizes and its solid, just beware of the small screws holding in the clip, I had one fall out once.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I need to get a dry bag for hanging food away from camp during a backcountry hunt. Looking at Sea to Summit dry bags.
3-5 days of food, each day in its own 1 gal zip lock ( each days is one Peak meal, one pack pop tarts, a few protein bars, two individual packs peanut butter, pack of trail mix, and a bagel)

What size dry bag? 8L or 13L?
Which sea to summit bag? The Lightweight Dry bag (70d nylon) or the Ultra lite Sil Nylon bag (30d nylon)?
Check out FORLOH: 100% sourced and made in America

TaperPin

WKR
A big sleeping bag stuff sack lined with a garbage bag is much lighter.

Legend

WKR
I like cheap mesh bags. That way in the morning I can see where I need to dig for the coffee.

I’ve used various ones to include sea to summit. I just picked up a Stone Glacier dry bag and used it this last week and it was great. Strong and big with great connectors to hang from tree with 550 cord.

No matter what direction you go - a lot of stuff will work. I will advise that if you have too much food (weight) for one bag - it becomes cumbersome to get up in tree off the ground. So maybe even two bags works better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legend

WKR
Yeah digging for the coffee sucks but having wet food sucks worse!
To each their own. I have spent 25 years and a lot of nights in the backcountry using a mesh bag, which on a side not is also very light weight. Not sure I understand why the need for a dry bag. Almost all backcountry food is in a package. If it isn't it is inside a ziploc.

OutHeavy

FNG
This may be a moot point if you already placed your order, but if you've got ziplocks inside why do you need a dry bag? Go with a dyneema stuff sack and save the weight. Also check out OPSAK bags instead of your standard ziplock for minimizing smells.