Need floor tile setting advice

basket8

FNG
Using a photo from google because it shows my dilemma better than the photos I tried taking myself. Is it possible to lay ceramic tile over a concrete “slope” like this? Or do I need to level the floor before tiling. Any advice is appreciated. IMG_8619.jpeg

It's easy peasy, if you know what you're doing. But I'd stretch that slope out alot. Or get rid of that pour around the door and just have a step down.

ElkNut1

WKR
Level the floor. You'd have to have some small tiles that would mold to that slope like you'd use on a shower floor! Too, use a fiberglass mesh on the slab before tiling.

If considering larger tiles you'll need to level/flatten floor to accommodate their size!

ElkNut

OP
basket8

basket8

FNG
Level the floor. You'd have to have some small tiles that would mold to that slope like you'd use on a shower floor! Too, use a fiberglass mesh on the slab before tiling.

If considering larger tiles you'll need to level/flatten floor to accommodate their size!

ElkNut
Any advice on how to go about leveling it?

You can grind the glue out down to the concrete. Pull out the curved metal that held the edge of the carpet down. Then let us see more pictures

ElkNut1

WKR
Ahh, you need to do as Bubblehide mentions & remove the metal edging. Assuming you are removing or laying over existing tiles you then will need to pour self leveling mud to perfectly flatten out the rest of the floor to the existing tile on the floor, assuming you want to tile everything with new tiles?

When using self leveling mud you will need to caulk/tape all avenues/openings/cracks at the walls that are to be tiled to eliminate this loose mud seeping out. It finds its own level once poured & easily pushed around. This mud is awesome & leaves a perfectly flat floor. No fiber mesh needed!

P.S. I've been a Tile - Masonry Cont. for the last 40 years.

ElkNut

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Ahh, you need to do as Bubblehide mentions & remove the metal edging. Assuming you are removing or laying over existing tiles you then will need to pour self leveling mud to perfectly flatten out the rest of the floor to the existing tile on the floor, assuming you want to tile everything with new tiles?

When using self leveling mud you will need to caulk/tape all avenues/openings/cracks at the walls that are to be tiled to eliminate this loose mud seeping out. It finds its own level once poured & easily pushed around. This mud is awesome & leaves a perfectly flat floor. No fiber mesh needed!

P.S. I've been a Tile - Masonry Cont. for the last 40 years.

ElkNut
Does he need to remove carpet adhesive first?, I think I would.

ElkNut1

WKR
To date I've never seen a single crack in all my years. If you do this it is generally pouring it over concrete that has existing cracks. The fiber mesh I mentioned between the original concrete & the pour will eliminate this.

I've poured self leveling mud on both OSB & Concrete substrates for years, never a crack!

GSPHUNTER, I would if it was ridiculously thick & would protrude through the finish height. Other than that not a big concern. Self Leveling mud is the bomb, not cheap but my goto when I need super flat surfaces for 12". 24", 36" & 48" Tiles on larger areas where flatness is a must along with tile leveler spacers.

ElkNut

Yoder

WKR
I would do waterproof vinyl plank flooring instead. It still needs to be level, but it's way easier than tile. I put it in my basement over the slab and it turned out great.

maya

FNG
Another idea... you can rent a concrete grinder for the high spots, fill the low spots & do self leveling epoxy coating. Wouldn't need to be perfectly flat, just close

cnelk

WKR
Do it right and put floor joists in and bring the floor up to the existing floor height.

Then put whatever floor covering you want but you can’t go wrong with LVP.