Need help finding good value rangefinder

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking to get a rangefinder that is good out to 600 yards on game during legal hunting light. 1000 yards for targets under favorable conditions would be nice. I can confidently shoot out to 600 yards on steel with first round impacts on a 8 inch target, realistically I likely will not be shooting past 400 on game. I live in western US and will have opportunities to shoot past 400 regularly if conditions are favorable, which sometimes the wind blows pretty hard in which I will pass. I shoot a lot. I practice with a 223 and 308 on a regular basis and probably go through 2000 rounds a year. My hunting rig is in 300 win and it is braked and weighs about 8.5 pounds fully loaded. I hunt elk, pronghorn, deer, coyote, pdogs, and anything else that I can legally shoot. I will mostly be using the range finder on pronghorn which with the lack of trees 600 yards I'm guessing won't be hard to get even in poor conditions.

My budget is whatever it takes, I'll buy once cry once. I don't want to go crazy and buy the nicest range finder, but I also don't want to buy a paperweight. I have a 300 win so I have a little forgiveness. The load I'm using right now leaves the barrel at about 3050 fps. I don't have a problem with budget gear, it just needs to work. I'm not interested in paying twice as much for a 10% improvement (looking for good value). I'm sure there are folks on here who have owned multiple range finders. I've found that specs are good for reference but they are no substitute for expirence with brands and equipment. I already have a range finder but it is bottom of the barrel, I bought it for $80 several years ago. I use it as a go/no go as it is only reliable out to 300 yards on game which in my setup requires no adjustments. I think even a budget vortex is going to be a huge improvement. However the cheap one I got is supposedly good to 1000 yards lol not from my expirience.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks for your help!

The Sig's are a pretty good value, IMO. I got the Sig Sauer KILO1800BDX on sale for under $200 in 2021. It feels like a $600 rangefinder to me.

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
This is what you want

I feel like this is more than I need. It says 5-4500 yard. I really don't need past 1000 yards. Is there a benefit to have it go out to 4500? Does it work out to 4500 yards or is this just marketing. Just want your thoughts on why I should go with such a nice model. Not trying to say you're wrong. I'm not a rangefinder expert. Looking for good value not necessarily the best.

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
Maven and Vortex might be the only "buy once" companies with lifetime warranties on rangefinders.
I've now come across a few people who preach maven as better than vortex. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
I've now come across a few people who preach maven as better than vortex. Do you have any thoughts on that?
I do not use rangefinders and have never used a Maven product, but recognize many on this forum prefer Maven over Vortex. I operate a small gun business and primarily sell pre-owned optics. I have sold quite a few Vortex binoculars and firmly believe you get what you pay for. The Razor HD and UHD series are very good. I'm sure the upper end Mavens are comparable.

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
I got a used Vortex Ranger 1000 several years ago and it's worked great for my needs. Seems to top out closer to 700 yds, which is fine for me. Really like the red illuminated display.

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
I do not use rangefinders and have never used a Maven product, but recognize many on this forum prefer Maven over Vortex. I operate a small gun business and primarily sell pre-owned optics. I have sold quite a few Vortex binoculars and firmly believe you get what you pay for. The Razor HD and UHD series are very good. I'm sure the upper end Mavens are comparable.
Thanks for the input!

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
I got a used Vortex Ranger 1000 several years ago and it's worked great for my needs. Seems to top out closer to 700 yds, which is fine for me. Really like the red illuminated display.
Seems like I can expect 70% of the marketed rangs. So if I go to a 2000 yard I should be covered.

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking forward to the responses - I’m also in the market for a better rangefinder in this range. The word consistently is the hard part.
Yep that what it seems. The marketing says 1000 real world might be 300... So do I need a 3000 to get 1000? The mfg specs seems overly optimistic.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I dont recommend Sig. Once it gets to around 30 degrees and lower it only works when it wants to, and I've only tried it down to 15 or so. I have zero faith in it, my buddies vortex display is much better and seems like a much better unit in general.

BLJ

WKR
I’m happy with the Vortex Ranger 1800.
Grassy hillsides at 1200. And relatively fast. IMO.

Is it good to 1000 yards consistently?

That's a tough one. General rule of thumb, take the advertised range and cut in half. I definitely get hits on animals north of 600 yards all the time. Sometimes I'll shoot terrain farther than that but not too often. Our use cases are different. Maybe a better model would be better suited for you. I do perceive Sig's are a great value, would expect the Maven to be 'better,' and then after that maybe a Leica.

ETA: I've had no issues with cold, but haven't used it a ton in the cold. Maybe only a handful of days below 15. Lots of days between 15 and freezing. It is quite fast. But a $200 range finder is probably not a 'buy once cry once' kind of rangefinder.

fatlander

WKR
I bought a middle of the road Leopold about 6 years ago 350ish bucks. It cramped out last year. Leopold sold me a discounted upgraded model for 250ish bucks because the warranty was up.

In the long run it would’ve been cheaper to buy a Leica.

“Im too poor to buy cheap” and “Buy once cry once”

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a middle of the road Leopold about 6 years ago 350ish bucks. It cramped out last year. Leopold sold me a discounted upgraded model for 250ish bucks because the warranty was up.

In the long run it would’ve been cheaper to buy a Leica.

“Im too poor to buy cheap” and “Buy once cry once”
Too poor to buy cheap is a good one!

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
After seeing a lot of these posts I'm thinking a diamondback or a maven 2000 yard would suit my needs. Any thoughts?

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
I starting reading reviews and it looks like the maven 4500 and vortex viper are actually going to consistently do 1000 yards whereas the diamondback is more 600-800... Not sure if it's worth it but if I upgrade now it's $400. If I buy and regret it's $300 + $400. I've already blown $80 on a piece of crap...