Budget rangefinder

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Looking for insight into a budget rangefinder that will range 1,000 yards reliably and do angle compensation. Say sub $400? Does this exist? I currently use a Leica 1200 range master that is 10+ years old and ranging over 600 reliably is tough.

Thanks for recommendations.

For $600 (less if you call around) you can get a Leica 2400-R which has excellent LRF capabilities. It'll give you solid performance on non reflective targets to 1200-1500yd depending on the target and conditions. I would recommend that over any of the econo options as it'll last you for another 10+ years just like your current rangemaster.

Kilo's are fragile, I sent two back that the laser became way off on that were never dropped or bumped. They lived in their padded case inside a pack lid. Sig's warranty also blows to deal with if you do have an issue. I'd never buy one again nor would I recommend them. So many better companies and products out there and there's no reason to.

Raider4044

Lil-Rokslider
Kilo's are fragile, I sent two back that the laser became way off on that were never dropped or bumped. They lived in their padded case inside a pack lid. Sig's warranty also blows to deal with if you do have an issue. I'd never buy one again nor would I recommend them. So many better companies and products out there and there's no reason to.

Surprised to hear that. I’ve had three different models that were treated like red-headed stepchildren and never had an issue. My 5K rides around in my pickup 24/7 down some ROUGH lease roads and hasn’t seen the inside of a case since I bought it. I have heard the same thing about their CS though lately.

JGRaider

WKR
Sig likes to mislead people about their warranty. It's 5 years from date of manufacture, not when you bought them. Found that out the hard way on my RF which I had bought 3 years previously. Also had the laser mis-aligned on my Sig 3K bino/rf's which was actually at 6:30 completely outside of the aiming circle "reticle". Sig CS told me that was well within spec. I sent them back to the dealer and wrote off Sig electronics.

parshal

WKR
I bought the Bushnell Nitro as a backup rangefinder. Even after paying the AB fee to upgrade to full AB it's sub $400.

After I bought mine, everybody that tried it ditched their leupold and vortex ones and bought that kilo. Every single one of them ranged different...

Mine has not been treated kind and has stopped getting readings much past 900 yards. Will be watching this thread, as its time for a new one

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a viper which is $399.99 I think it's $387 on Amazon. Well it's pretty good. I want something with a good warranty. I tested out a few other range finders and I found the viper in the sweet spot. If I spent more it would have felt like I was wasting money. I just got it so I haven't found everything that is wrong with it just yet. It's easy to operate, clear glass, and it's pretty quick. I also called vortex and they said it will operate down to -40 degrees maven is 23 degrees and someone told me maven is realistically good down to 0 degrees. I have not tested it yet but I hunt in sub zero temps and wanted something that would be reliable no matter what.

8grenade

FNG
I’m really liking my Leupold RX-2800.
I’ve seen them for $359 before and they do 1500 to a mile easily and small targets and game at 1000 is a snap.

Meathead

FNG
I have the Sig Kilo and my buddy’s Vortex ranges further and faster, more reliably. Blew my mind.
Which vortex model? I have a ranger 1800 and I’m looking to upgrade. Hoping u have good things to say about the razor hd 4000, non ballistics model

OP
H

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I was able to range some cows the other day at over 2,500 yds just messing around with the 4000.

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
Which vortex model? I have a ranger 1800 and I’m looking to upgrade. Hoping u have good things to say about the razor hd 4000, non ballistics model
I tested the ranger 1800 vortex viper and razor. I saw a huge improvement over the ranger 1800 in speed, I didn't not see a massive difference between the viper and the razor however the razor is a true long range range finder and it is better. It's only $100 more so if you want the best go for it. I got my viper for $319 by chance. You might want to find a used razor if you can. I'm very pleased with the viper. I am able to get 2000+ yard readings on trees without a tripod under good conditions. All I need is ranges out to 1100 yards so I didn't want to spend anymore than I needed. However if there is a sale it doesn't hurt to get the better model.