Need help staying warm.

Looking for help to keep me warm during stationary whitetail hunts. I’ve read through a lot of posts of layering and this is my go to for November in WVA. This combo has kept me warm during first rifle CO for a few years now. I know the humidity plays into the “real feel” as well, but this setup isn’t cutting it. Temps run in the mid 20’s-mid 30’s

Fl wick 150 top
Peloton 97
Peloton 240
Skre Ptarmigan 850 down

For whatever reason I can’t start warm with this combo. I don’t wear my puffy till I get set up. I can sit for about 2/3 hrs then it hits me. Which layer is causing my problems? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Jbxl20

WKR
PA whitetail
Kiln
Klamath hooded
Kuiu ultra puffy (non hooded)
And the kuiu 240 on top with hot hands in the pockets.

Soj51hopeful

Lil-Rokslider
What are you doing for your feet and legs? You need to keep them insulated too. Your legs may not feel cold but they will definitely circulate cold blood.

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
While I love the 97 and 240 they are really good for and meant for active hunting. IMO you need to add a thicker mid layer and maybe a vest. I use a really think polartec product from fourth element which is really meant for under a dry suit for diving, but it is very warm. Also maybe add a good pair of bibs.

OP
H
Feet don’t really get cold, I use darn tough socks and Solomon uninsulated boots. I wear the kuiu merino base (145?) with either attacks or guide’s depending on temps. I also pack a pair of nomad primaloft puffy pants if it’s super cold. I also have the first lite 320 merino beanie.

Other layers I own
Black ovis 250 merino top
Nomad fleece top
Cabelas brand fleece vest

Obviously the bottom 2 are pretty heavy weight wise which is why I’ve avoided them.

Last edited:

Randle

WKR
How do you stoke the inner fire?
How much I eat prior to the hunt and while sitting makes a difference for me.
Try different breakfast maybe

Soj51hopeful

Lil-Rokslider
Feet don’t really get cold, I use darn tough socks and Solomon uninsulated boots. I wear the kuiu merino base (145?) with either attacks or guide’s depending on temps. I also pack a pair of nomad primaloft puffy pants if it’s super cold. I also have the first lite 320 merino beanie.
Put the puffy pants on BEFORE you get cold!

*zap*

WKR
anything with gortex windstopper in it or a surplus level4 windshirt which will be inexpensive if you get an acu camo on ebay. level 4 has no hood the level 5 has a hood and they are sized to fit your size with layers under it.

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
Your head and legs are your main problems.

Head - First Lite Tundra Cold Weather Balaclava
Kuiu Kenai Hat

Windproof Jacket

Down puffy pants
Windproof pants

Or if you want to buy some dedicated cold weather gear the Skre Guardian jacket and bibs.

OP
H
I don’t sweat much, but walking in, I’m going light and if I do start getting warm I’ll take layers off. i I normally carry a balaclava with me and keep it around my neck. like the idea of the wind shirt and vest. I’ll probably look for those two pieces today on Black Friday sale. Might end up with a different mid layer too and scrap the peletons till elk season or fishing.

Durran87

Lil-Rokslider
I wear multiple hats, multiple neck warmers, mountaineering socks, and lots of wool layers including cabelas wool parka and bibs. These things all really help.