Need help staying warm.

Jakeb

Lil-Rokslider
Anything from mid-low 30’s i just break out the fanatic bibs and jacket. Sitting in a tree with high humidity is a whole lot different then hunting out west as far as staying warm is concerned. I have layers that can get me into the 20’s in a tree but it’s just easier/simpler to throw on my fanatic with a light base layer and not even worry about being cold. If it does get a little warmer, I’ll unzip them some and I’ll be good. You will die if you try to walk in it though.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
There's a reason why I can't sit for long.......my body just doesn't generate heat unless I'm moving. But once I'm moving, the furnace is ON. For me, fleece is great as a midlayer when I'm on the move in the cold because it breathes well. But sitting, I'd need some real insulation.

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
For warm insulation you want down. And before when I mentioned windproof pants I should have said windproof bibs. Also the Pnuma heated vest is instant warmth for hours.

Kryptek Aegis is the only thing that will keep me warm on cold whitetail sits. Ive tried systems and pieces from all the high end companies, and this is the warmest “quiet” pieces of clothing I have ever put on my body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
My layering for tomorrow, PA opener.

UA 2.0 top and 3.0 bottom.
Fleece vest I picked up in Canada, unbranded other than "Scouts Canada"
Cabelas bibs
Some relatively generic medium weight coat. I'm unsure of brand.

Wigwam liner socks, Peoples Choice wool socks.

Accessories will be Arctic Shield boot Blankets, a big hand warmer muff, a FL gaiter and a UA storm blaze beanie.

I'll have a light blaze vest on as well.

yfarm

WKR
Normal high activity clothing to walk in, oversize full side zip well insulated camo coveralls strapped to your pack, put on once you are in the stand. Keeps me warm at 10-15 for all day. Preferably with a hood, lots of heat loss around your collar. Alternatively sit in a cheap sleeping bag, helps with your feet. Arctic Shield makes a tree stand bag with side zips and a hood.

rclouse79

WKR
I underestimated the hand warmers for a lot of years. Do $/pack math on a Costco box and you won’t bat an eye at opening up a bakers dozen on a cold morning. Stuff them anywhere that gets cold and you will be good for 6 hours. Open more as needed.

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
As a mid layer it is a non issue and as an outer layer for gun hunting it is usually not a problem.
I have not tested this and could be wrong but down seems to be a bad choice for a mid-layer and it would get compressed and lose some of its ability to do what it is designed to do.

As for gun hunting maybe overlooking fields it could work. Where I hunt 50 yards is my longest shot and on opening day here in Michigan, I had a buck at 30 yards when I could first see him and 20 before I got a shot.

Been deer hunting close to 40 years and I really do not recall seeing a hunter in Michigan wearing down.

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
I have not tested this and could be wrong but down seems to be a bad choice for a mid-layer and it would get compressed and lose some of its ability to do what it is designed to do.

As for gun hunting maybe overlooking fields it could work. Where I hunt 50 yards is my longest shot and on opening day here in Michigan, I had a buck at 30 yards when I could first see him and 20 before I got a shot.

Been deer hunting close to 40 years and I really do not recall seeing a hunter in Michigan wearing down.
If your goal is to stay warm with the least amount of weight down is your friend when deer hunting from a stand. Under a fleece shell it does not compress and is fairly quiet. I‘ve killed deer down to 30 yards in it. Honestly when I am getting ready to kill a deer at close range the noise from my down clothing is the least of my worries.

I’ve been deer hunting 51 years and have gone through the fleece and wool phases for cold weather hunting. Over the last four years I‘ve made the move to down mid layers, parkas and bibs and wish I had done it many years before.

Peloton 97 is very good. Peloton 240 is a wind resistant layer but not terribly warm when static.
I also don’t think merino does a great job of insulating.
I would go peloton 97 next to skin or over a synthetic short sleeve, heavier grid fleece designed to trap more warm air over the 97 or a 200-300 weight fleece, down, synthetic vest (heated vest would go under the fleece), then some kind of jacket with a quiet outer and ideally with wind stopper. You can always add the ptarmigan under the jacket.
Ptarmigan or any 5 oz ish down is only good with a base and mid layer down to 40 degrees after 2 hours or so. Your results are tracking.
Head and neck sounds like you have items but need to start using them.
Add the oversized jacket, mine is an off brand I got from sportsman’s warehouse 10-12 years ago on a sale rack.
Add an insulating or heated vest.
Use the down pants as soon as you get on stand and at a minimum get some insulated boot covers and throw a hand warmer in them.
You may not feel the cold on your legs or feet but based on your layers you are dumping heat there.
Eat on stand, drink on stand ideally warm liquid, flex and hold different muscle groups before you are cold.

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
Cold here in the East with high humidity is a different issue than out west… it amazes me how much less it takes to stay warm when the humidity is low.
That said, the best thing to happen to tree stand hunters is the heated vest. Tons of models with various capabilities but nothing beats hitting the on button once you get settled. (Especially since I have a bad back.)
I agree on the hand warmers and boot warmers but I don’t go for a stand hunt anymore without a heated vest!

Murphy

Lil-Rokslider
Get a heater body suit. It's the only thing I've found to keep me in the woods in colder weather. You will feel kind of dumb getting into it at first. Once you get past that it's super warm and dead quite. It's directly responsible for a lot of dead deer over the last probably 15 years for myself.

Proper layering…ie merino, mid and a good down jacket. I really like the under armour jacket but anything with a quality down would work. I also agree with others in that hat, gloves and socks will help.

I’m down with the down….
Kuiu Super Down Pro

Sat for several hours 3 weeks ago on a river in Kodiak bear hunting in my Super Down Pro set. I’m a cold natured female. My two hard-cord hunting male companions wearing synthetics had to retreat after a while due to the cold. I wasn’t feeling a thing except a warm hug from my well-chosen layering system.
I could have sat all day. Temps in the 30’s, cloudy, winds 5-10.