Need more finished forum threads it seems.....

lowpressure

Lil-Rokslider
As i pour through forum after forum ive come to realize that there are very few people that finish a forum thread..........Its akin to reading multiple books that all seem to be missing the final chapter. Makes my OCD tic lol. Im writing this after reading tons of posts on here (mostly by guys like myself) who are new to the diy backpack hunts that have "drawn tag X in unit X" looking for information. Most of the time one or two of the old dogs will chime in a give some cryptic info and probably better info with a PM. With all of this said, I would really appreciate it if people would come back after their hunt whether it was successful or not. Not all successful hunts in my opinion need to have a kill included. I just want to hear about the hunt. Was the area tough terrain? Were there animals present? Did you see or do anything that you havent done before or this time just stuck out to you as something special? I guess yall are getting what im saying but I had to get on my soap box for a second.

If by chance i do draw one of these lightning in a bottle draws that im putting in for and when i do ask all of the same questions posed by my predecessors I will make one promise......................I will come back and tell the story no matter how unsuccessful or by gods grace successful it ends up being.

Steve

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
For what its worth.. the guys i have PMed have written back to me to tell me how it went and vice versa.

Beendare

WKR
You want detailed info on a hunt unit over the internet?

Maybe think of it this way, If a guy in unit XX says he was overrun with elk in Bear canyon....it's almost guaranteed that bear canyon will be a bomb the next year- guaranteed. PM is king.

We hunted a particular canyon 8 miles in an OTC Co unit one year that was fantastic, tons of elk. We ran into a guy in there Rich...comparing notes laughing about how good it was. Well the next year, the place was overrun with hunters. Seems Rich blabbed about it to many guys at a certain Bowshop- and the 10 guys we talked to all heard about it there. Of course the activity ran all of the elk out of there.

What is it they say in the Navy....Loose lips sink hunting units?

___

MtGomer

WKR
You want detailed info on a hunt unit over the internet?

Maybe think of it this way, If a guy in unit XX says he was overrun with elk in Bear canyon....it's almost guaranteed that bear canyon will be a bomb the next year- guaranteed. PM is king.

We hunted a particular canyon 8 miles in an OTC Co unit one year that was fantastic, tons of elk. We ran into a guy in there Rich...comparing notes laughing about how good it was. Well the next year, the place was overrun with hunters. Seems Rich blabbed about it to many guys at a certain Bowshop- and the 10 guys we talked to all heard about it there. Of course the activity ran all of the elk out of there.

What is it they say in the Navy....Loose lips sink hunting units?

___
In a few books, Duncan Gilchrist says don’t tell your best friend about a game pocket. Because he has a friend and his friends have friends.

Lowpressure, I totally agree... Beendare makes a good point, but a story can be told without divulging too much info. One of my favorite parts about forums are the stories, win or lose, it's fun to read.

I like pics too, but the story is the best part to me. I like hearing the strategy of others, the emotions of the highs and lows, the adversity... All of it.

I get not wanting to bring more attention to a region, but I think most could share some of their hunt without doing so

How valuable is your area? PRICELESS! Who can you trust? NOBODY!

I helped my brother out after he was striking out. I lived in Pa. He lives in Montana!

Next thing I knew he had work friends, hippie buddies, drinking buddies you name it stomping my holes. Not that my mother wants to elk hunt but I wouldn’t tell her my spots. She has bingo buddies... screw that! Haha

On the other hand I have always enjoyed passing on general information about my strategies and philosophies for finding elk that work for me. Different things work better in different areas but I’d like to think I’m pointing some new hunters in the right direction.

It is pretty lame that a lot of people don't report back on hunts after receiving helpful guidance. Obviously details would need to be provided carefully in a public setting. PMs are better for building a relationship and getting significant help and/or response to help provided.

OP
lowpressure

lowpressure

Lil-Rokslider
The story. Thats what im looking for. I dont need detailed info since i happen to have lived right in the middle of elk country and still have friends that live there. I have access to some fine "secret spots". I just enjoy hearing the experiences. Was it snowing? Was so freaking hot that even a camel was dry humping? Bears? Birds? Snakes? Ex Wife messed up the hunt? Really just looking for anything but the lack of finality.

OP
lowpressure

lowpressure

Lil-Rokslider
For what its worth.. the guys i have PMed have written back to me to tell me how it went and vice versa.
I did the same for the couple that aided me by pm this season also. Even met up for a beer after the hunt. Great way to make new friends