Need shed/building interior finishing ideas

Finch

WKR
Looking for ideas for my 12x24 building. I built a building several years ago that houses my mower, table saw, chainsaws, pressure washer, etc. This new building (bought before sky high lumber prices) won't be storing any of that stuff. I'll be putting some hunting stuff in there but I'm actually having the problem with what I'll be doing in there. I know, funny right?

Couple of things....

I'm currently installing an electric panel to have power. It will be a separate meter than the house as this building is really close to the transformer pole and not my house. I also plan on wiring for a welder which I currently do not have but I'll have it prewired for future purposes. Do I put this 240V outlet near the door to weld outside? I assume that would be best.

I'll be installing a minisplit heat/AC unit.

I'll be insulating the walls and ceiling. Should I leave the insulation exposed or put up drywall? Drywall is the most cost effective right now it seems. I wish I would have had them insulate the floor when it was built but didn't. I don't plan on living in there so insulating the ceiling and walls should suffice to keep it comfortable with the mini split I'd say. Too late now anyway.

I guess I envision this as a hangout for me. Maybe a place to process my deer, work on my bow, etc. Definitely will have a mini fridge in there stocked with beer.

What else can I do to make the most of this 12x24 space? Not the biggest size but working with what I got.

20210527_130519.jpg20210527_130544.jpg20210527_130603.jpg

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Shelving is a must, and after several projects in the shed, basement and barn, we now take 3/4 ply and rip them into four 8' pieces. Each shelf will be just under 12" deep, which I have found is plenty deep. Anything more and it gets in the way and is not needed. 2x4's as framing and then tie them together vertically with studs and you can stand on them.
You could have one entire side of your shed floor to ceiling shelves, and be able to organize a bunch of stuff. I'd also have a bench in the back right corner where you would get good light from window, and not take up parking spaces for the mower, quad etc.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Nice. Any reason you don't want to put receptacle for welder outside being you will be welding outside. If you put in a few roof vents, welding inside would be nice during bad weather. Drywall over the insulation would be nice plus adding to the insulation factor. I assume you will be building some shelfs and work benches. It would be nice to have water out there if you water line is within reasonable distance. I see there is the start of rafters which always make nice storage for seldom used items, more never hurts, otherwise it's just dead space. And by all means a lock on the inside to keep unwelcome out..

Last edited:
Good project
I would suggest mineral wool insulation. The increased cost will be negligible in that small space but the ease of handling and fit between the studs make it an easy DIY activity without the pains of fiberglass or enviro concerns of foam.
I would also vote for thick plywood on the walls. Buy it after prices come back down a little or buy it a piece at a time over a few months. The mineral wool insulation is not a problem exposed for a while. You will be better able to hang and install things on a wood wall rather than Sheetrock.

That loft space is nice. You may want to add more to use the ceiling space for storing items not too frequently accessed. I added it all the way around in my shop and it makes for a lot of storage.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Shelving is a must, and after several projects in the shed, basement and barn, we now take 3/4 ply and rip them into four 8' pieces. Each shelf will be just under 12" deep, which I have found is plenty deep. Anything more and it gets in the way and is not needed. 2x4's as framing and then tie them together vertically with studs and you can stand on them.
You could have one entire side of your shed floor to ceiling shelves, and be able to organize a bunch of stuff. I'd also have a bench in the back right corner where you would get good light from window, and not take up parking spaces for the mower, quad etc.
Good idea. I actually have a bunch of 3/4 plywood left over from a previous project. Looks as if lumber is coming down a bit now too.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Nice. Any reason you don't want to put receptacle for welder outside being you will be welding outside. If you put in a few roof vents, welding inside would be nice during bad weather. Drywall over the insulation would be nice plus adding to the insulation factor. I assume you will be building some shelfs and work benches. It would be nice to have water out there if you water line is within reasonable distance. I see there is the start of rafters which always make nice storage for seldom used items, more never hurts, otherwise it's just dead space. And by all means a lock on the inside to keep unwelcome out..
I could put it on the outside. I really don't see myself doing a bunch of welding inside too justify the roof vent idea. Welding is one of those things I've always been intrigued by and thought would be nice to have as a homeowner. There have been a few instances where I've said, "wish I had a welder." Honestly don't know the first thing about them but I would like to have the capability down the road.

My well head is pretty close by but not sometime that is easily doable IMO. I do plan on shelving and a bench on the window end. Thanks

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Good project
I would suggest mineral wool insulation. The increased cost will be negligible in that small space but the ease of handling and fit between the studs make it an easy DIY activity without the pains of fiberglass or enviro concerns of foam.
I would also vote for thick plywood on the walls. Buy it after prices come back down a little or buy it a piece at a time over a few months. The mineral wool insulation is not a problem exposed for a while. You will be better able to hang and install things on a wood wall rather than Sheetrock.
Thanks for wool insulation idea. Did a bit of reading on it. Looks to be a Canada thing and I remember seeing ole Mike Holmes use it when I used to watch a lot of DIY home improvement shows.

Did you add a value vapor barrier? It is just a building but I do try to do things right the first time. Thank you sir!

cnelk

WKR
If you’re new to welding, just get a little wire feed 115v unit. You can weld up a lot stuff with those things.
Buy mild steel flux core wire so you don’t need gas with it

image.jpg

14idaho

FNG
I don't recommend welding is a wood building due to fire issues. You can put receptacle outside or install it inside and build an extension cord. Also, most utilities don't allow 2 services, at least here in PA. FYI I'm an electrical contractor in PA.

I'll second the recommendation to go with a 115V (also referred to as 110V or 120V, which are all the same class of welder just slightly different nomenclature depending on if the reference voltage is nominal or actual) flux-core machine if you're just getting into welding. Some wire feed welders are designed to use flux-core wire or solid wire with shielding gas, but if the aesthetics of your welding don't really matter, flux-core is the way to go so you don't have to mess with keeping a gas bottle full. I've burned miles of flux-core wire with a 115V Hobart Handler 140 welding steel from 22 gauge up to 1/4" (multi-pass).

However, since you'll have a 120/240V split-phase feed from the transformer, you might as well go ahead and wire up at least one 240V outlet in case you do want to eventually step up to a 240V welder (or run a different large tool/appliance). With welding in mind, I'd put the 240V outlet near the door so you can weld inside or outside.

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
You could blue board the floor then add plywood flooring over the top to insulate it … I guess it depends on where your located and if you want to keep it heated. Blue board with plywood will hold up to walking on and probably a mower too.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I've done a lot of welding and miller welders are the way to go. Like a sore dick, you can't beat it.

Thanks for wool insulation idea. Did a bit of reading on it. Looks to be a Canada thing and I remember seeing ole Mike Holmes use it when I used to watch a lot of DIY home improvement shows.

Did you add a value vapor barrier? It is just a building but I do try to do things right the first time. Thank you sir!
I liked the info I found on Roxul and got mine at Lowe’s, had to order due to quantity but they usually have some on the shelf. I did 9 foot walls in a 16x20 space and a 6” deep ceiling under a moderate pitch roof. Did it by myself in a day and a half of easy effort.

My space has some quirks so I did not incorporate a traditional vapor barrier. Look at your cooling/heating plan to figure out your potential for condensation - will you be conditioning the air 24/7 and creating a great differential all the time in summer and winter? Or just cooling and heating while you are in the space? How well can you seal that door for efficient climate control?

I would also suggest putting a screen on the window so you can get air flow with fewer bugs.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
If you’re new to welding, just get a little wire feed 115v unit. You can weld up a lot stuff with those things.
Buy mild steel flux core wire so you don’t need gas with it

View attachment 308499
Thank you for the suggestion. I may be messaging you when the time comes to actually buy one.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
I don't recommend welding is a wood building due to fire issues. You can put receptacle outside or install it inside and build an extension cord. Also, most utilities don't allow 2 services, at least here in PA. FYI I'm an electrical contractor in PA.
We can have two services here.

I was planning on just having the receptacle just inside the door so I could weld outside. Outside receptacle works too. Appreciate the advice.

WCB

WKR
I personally wouldn't do sheet rock...I'd bite the bullet and do plywood at least the lower 4'. Then maybe sheet rock the rest.