Need to find a hunting partner

Wireman07

WKR
Hey everyone, I'm still looking for a hunting partner for next year. I'm really wanting to hunt the haul road but not having any luck finding anyone that wants to do it with me. I'm in Watertown, South Dakota, if anyone is interested send me a message! Thanks!

I've seen some solo people up there. Pick up One Man's Wilderness by Dick Proenneke or Alaska's Wolf Man about Frank Glaser and go solo!
It's probably a good thing you're looking for a hunting partner. It's a long drive and there are lots of variables. However, there are plenty of people around in August. There are a few spots where people congregate to camp. Remote, but not crushingly isolated.

PRSHunter

FNG
Actually it looks like I need to wait 7 days and have 10 posts before I can PM anyone. It's your thread! Happy to chat. I just did the haul road hunt this season for Caribou and live in AK.

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

WKR
I'm getting these messages from Rokslide's forum, probably because I'm a FNG....

"This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors."
We'll see when the flood gates release lol
Haha, oh ya I forgot about that!

PRSHunter

FNG
Haha, oh ya I forgot about that!
Well hey! Looks like you can see my posts so I'll just chat alongside in here and I guess wait for the 7 day holding period before PM'ing.

Anyways - what are you looking to do for a 'bou hunt?

I miss Watertown and Pheasant Opener, which I think is in a couple weekends for you guys. I have family there we'd visit all the time for birds and walleye.

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

WKR
Yes sir, resident opener is this weekend, but I have kind of gotten out of the pheasant hunting game about 5-6 years ago. But I still fish walleyes and perch about every weekend I'm not hunting! Well I'm looking for about the cheapest caribou possible, and have it narrowed down to the haul road in unit 26b. Are you from Watertown?

PRSHunter

FNG
Yes sir, resident opener is this weekend, but I have kind of gotten out of the pheasant hunting game about 5-6 years ago. But I still fish walleyes and perch about every weekend I'm not hunting! Well I'm looking for about the cheapest caribou possible, and have it narrowed down to the haul road in unit 26b. Are you from Watertown?

I'm originally from MN, but haven't lived there since 2012 thanks to Uncle Sam.
The haul road has its own hidden costs that could make it more expensive than other hunts here. Are you looking to use rifle, bow, or both?

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

WKR
I'm originally from MN, but haven't lived there since 2012 thanks to Uncle Sam.
The haul road has its own hidden costs that could make it more expensive than other hunts here. Are you looking to use rifle, bow, or both?
I gotcha. I planned on taking my bow and rifle along.

jimh406

WKR
If you haven't tried it, I'd try becoming active at a local archery/gun range. Logistics would be easier, and you can evaluate people with similar skills/interests easier.

Good luck.

PRSHunter

FNG
I gotcha. I planned on taking my bow and rifle along.
Would have been nice to have you in our group this past hunt. We were rifle hunting only, had to hike in 5 miles, but saw the biggest bulls about 1.5mi in :) That's just how it goes right? Not saying this is to be expected, but we even named the biggest bull we couldn't shoot - "Sampson".

I’m considering this hunt for next year. I’m not sure if my hunting partner is will be able to come, so it’s not a bad idea to have another person come along. DM if you’re still looking for someone and we can talk.

I too am waiting the 10 posts game but very interested in this hunt as well. I’m from Kentucky about 1hr 45min south of Louisville

I’m out of Anchorage, I’ve been up the haul road once. We went in mid August and missed the migration completely, miraculously found a loner bull on our last day but definitely learned our lesson to never be overly ambitious.