Need your opinions on what to do

crumy

WKR
I drew a pretty good elk tag in Wyoming and it is going to be a helluva pack in and out. So weight will be be a big deal. I am considering leaving my spotter at home and just taking in binos. Yet I want as much viewing range as possible and I don't think think my 8x42 leuopolds are going to cut it. I am considering some new binos and i am partial to Vortex. . Idon't think I can justify the Kaibabs so looking at 15x50 Viper HD

Do any of you forgo the spotter for binos? Does it work ok or do you wish you had the spotter? I think I read that with 15 you probably need a tripod. Is this true?

Thank you all in advance..

Jim
"crumy"

AZ Vince

WKR
I'd jump up to the new 20 X Kaibab binos if it were me.
I've got the Minox 15 x 56 binos now and combine them with a pair of 10X Vortex to cover most situations. When I get up to 15 power I appreciate the larger objective of the 56.

B

BowHunterJake

I was had a similar situation and I decided to get a lighter and in my case much better, spotter and tripod. Got the Vortex Razor 50 mm and tripod. I like having 8x or 10x binos. I am not steady enough for anything over 12. My new spotter & tripod fit the bill for size and weight.

Good luck.

if your going for a trophy class animal take your spotter, if not take your regular binos. me personally I never leave the spotter at home, I really enjoy getting close looks at game I spot I also use it as my telephoto lens for my camera. if you plan on taking bigger binos IE 12x or larger you will need your tripod anyway. so your sacrificing 3ish pounds and a lot more optical range on a tag that probably took you a couple years to draw. only you know how you hunt but there has never been a hunt where I wish I left the spotter behind. I run a 65 and before this season I will be going up to an 85. the 85 may change my mind.

OP
crumy

crumy

WKR
See there you go applying logic and making me think. You have some very valid points. That is why I am torn.

mcseal2

WKR
I have a Nikon ED50 and a cheap Slikk Compact II tripod I pack elk hunting to compliment my 10x42 binos. The area I hunt I hit late in the season and many bulls are broke up. I don't really use the spotter much locating elk but it is sure nice to judge them. I might want my better tripod if I was spending a lot of time behind the spotter but for what I'm doing this works great. My spotter & tripod weighs 2lbs 10oz total, so it isn't to bad to pack.