Needing expert advice

Hunting last night and spotted a stud at about 1.5 miles with 10 or so cows, couple spikes and calves. They had just got out of the bedding area. This is a very open unit in antelope country and they were bedded in a dry creek bed.

Made the stalk to 100, called him to 60 but he was behind a pinion bush and wouldn't come out either side or move closer. I'm solo. He never spooked, just walked off with his cows and I shadowed the herd for about 200 yds until it was to dark to see my yardage indicator.

Question is, I'm set up 200 yds down wind of the bedding area and have been here since before sunrise. I had a lost calf come by looking for the group and something is telling me they got busted up during the night. Anyone have any insight on what could possibly be going on?

OP
B
Picture of bull for reference. He is the herd bull. Trying to confirm movement in the bedding area before I cut to shooting distance from the closest cow and wait it out. The lost calf running through the bedding area without stopping has me worried

Attachments

• 20230918_182033.jpg
    20230918_182033.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 60
OP
B
No expert can tell you if he’s still there or not. That looks like an ambush spot to me. Get in front of them with good wind and hope for the best.
I spotted them from a ways out and the only way I could play the wind right was to loop around them, which I was trying to cut them off, just never had the right line to make it happen fast enough. Whether he is there or not isn't the question, the calf running through the bedding area doing a frantic lost calf call is what I would like everyone's take on.

kirkflynn

FNG
I hate to be the one to say it, but quit calling at them. Get 100 yards and hold tight for a couple hours if you have good wind. Those bulls will tend to roam around and you will have a better chance killing them without letting them know where you are.