neo air xtherm

Retterath

WKR
i see the R-value is 5.7 on these and are pretty thick. Because of the thickness of it and all the air in it, when its cold out does that air in the pad get cold and then make you cold or does it insulate very well even though it thick. Hope this make sense.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
i see the R-value is 5.7 on these and are pretty thick. Because of the thickness of it and all the air in it, when its cold out does that air in the pad get cold and then make you cold or does it insulate very well even though it thick. Hope this make sense.

The pad keep you warm for sure. It works in two ways to keep you warm: 1) heat reflection (the gray/silver lining reflects heat back to your body); and 2) using air to insulate. Remember that air does not conduct heat well, which is why it is a good insulator. So, thick pad means more heat getting trapped. If you use that pad and get cold, it shouldn't be due to the pad. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
To expand above, non-moving air doesn't transmit heat well but air that can move around can. Thus an regular air mattress isn't that warm since the air molecules can move around, where as fiberglass insulation in your walls keeps the air molecules from freely moving around and thus its better R value. The xtherm pad crinkles when you roll it out because their are baffles inside of it that dampen the movement of the air molecules. In addition those baffles are reflective material to bounce back radiant heat which is independent of air movement.

OP
Retterath

Retterath

WKR
The pad keep you warm for sure. It works in two ways to keep you warm: 1) heat reflection (the gray/silver lining reflects heat back to your body); and 2) using air to insulate. Remember that air does not conduct heat well, which is why it is a good insulator. So, thick pad means more heat getting trapped. If you use that pad and get cold, it shouldn't be due to the pad. Hope that helps.

That makes sense, thanks alot

Agreeing pretty much with everyone above. X-therm is very warm and pretty comfy, but it is a little loud and not the thickest. If you are tired (as you probably are after a day of hunting), the noise is unlikely to be an issue. I am a side sleeper, so I switched to a thicker pad with a lower R value because I don't use it past Oct 1 or so.

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider
I believe the Xtherm is 2.5" thick. I'm a side sleeper. I find it very comfortable and warm. A little noisy as others have mentioned.

carter33

WKR
I looked at both the xtherm as well as the sea to summit comfort plus, which has an r rating of 5. After seeing and touching both in person I preferred the sea to summit. Neither are silent but the xtherm had a much more noticeable crinkling sound to it. Also I think I would prefer the inflation system on the sea to summit over the xtherm but haven't actually inflated the xtherm so this is speculation/personal preference.

I've used the XTherm mountaineering in Alaska and in sub zero temps here in the lower 48. It provides excellent insulation. Terrific all-season pad.

welpro222

WKR
Also make sure to use the inflating stuff sack it comes with. I heard that blowing it up with your lungs can introduce too much moisture in the pad and lower it's r value.

Tag_Soup

WKR
I'm a fairly big guy (6'1 250-ish) and a side sleeper. I love my x-therm. Much quieter than an x-lite and have never been cold on it. I tend to under inflate it a bit too.

Tag_Soup

WKR
Also make sure to use the inflating stuff sack it comes with. I heard that blowing it up with your lungs can introduce too much moisture in the pad and lower it's r value.

Mouth blowing won't hurt the performance much as there is no actual insulation. A down pad it will definitely have a large effect due to wetting out the down, but it shouldn't change the r-value of the x-therm much. I use the pump sack as a pseudo dry bag for some gear as it is way too large for the pad, which comes with a normal storage bag. Most of the time I will use the pump sack so that the pad doesn't develop any "funk" inside.

Never had this issue. I don't use the stuff sack at all (weighs too much.) I just roll it up, and tie it up with a super light bungee.

I'm a fairly big guy (6'1 250-ish) and a side sleeper. I love my x-therm. Much quieter than an x-lite and have never been cold on it. I tend to under inflate it a bit too.

I loved my x-therm too and used it for a couple years, but I recently switched to an x-lite and haven't noticed any noise difference between the two (not that either pad is very quiet). As for the others, I have always inflated my pads by mouth blowing and never noticed any issues. The x-therm is a tough pad to beat.

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
Glad some others have mentioned the noise they make. I've only used mine once so far. It seemed comfortable however I move a lot throughout the night from back to side and I was constantly woken up from the crinkling sound. I was hoping there was a break in period. Like boot!!

I keep seeing people talk about the noise but it just does not seam loud to me. I have a MAX and the mummy shape one.

I have tried to use the sack to inflate it and just can't get the hang of it. It seamed faster to just blow it up. I just make sure to add some air after the air I blew into it cools and shrinks up a little. I am also a side sleeper and find it plenty comfy.