Nevada 101-109

My father in law drew 101-109 rifle mule deer. Ive never set foot in any of the units and was wonder what to expect. Terrain, deer quality, weather, and which unit should we focus on.

OP
E
forgot to add. he drew the oct 1-16 season. i understand this is a give and take forum so id be happy to share any info regarding idaho unit 43

mickeyelk

FNG
forgot to add. he drew the oct 1-16 season. i understand this is a give and take forum so id be happy to share any info regarding idaho unit 43
Ruby's are a hard hunt. I started hunting deer there in the mid 90's. Over the years they have had too many tags and the qualtiy degraded. But this area has the highest concentration of deer in Nevada. The early seson means you have to hunt real high. The main untis will be 101/102/103. Most of the areas you'll hunt will be the widerness areas. Theres not many easy areas to hunt . Get your walking sticks and backpack and hike to the top and camp there. Bring good glass and a spotting scope to save your legs after you find your buck and then spot and stock. East side of 101 has access roads in, not many. 102 has more some on the west and east side of the mountain plus to you can hunt in Harrison pass where its a little less mountainess. 103 you can hunt around Pearl mountain which is reach from the west side. Good luck

OP
E
Ruby's are a hard hunt. I started hunting deer there in the mid 90's. Over the years they have had too many tags and the qualtiy degraded. But this area has the highest concentration of deer in Nevada. The early seson means you have to hunt real high. The main untis will be 101/102/103. Most of the areas you'll hunt will be the widerness areas. Theres not many easy areas to hunt . Get your walking sticks and backpack and hike to the top and camp there. Bring good glass and a spotting scope to save your legs after you find your buck and then spot and stock. East side of 101 has access roads in, not many. 102 has more some on the west and east side of the mountain plus to you can hunt in Harrison pass where its a little less mountainess. 103 you can hunt around Pearl mountain which is reach from the west side. Good luck
Thanks for the tips. Ill let you know how it goes.

Defiantly a tougher hunt, but if you are willing to hike, you’ll defiantly find some quality bucks!

You will get out what you put into it. How physically capable is your father-in-law? Deer density is good, terrain is steeper than shit, and the weather could be 80 or 20. Wont know until it rolls around, but its beautiful country man.

OP
E
You will get out what you put into it. How physically capable is your father-in-law? Deer density is good, terrain is steeper than shit, and the weather could be 80 or 20. Wont know until it rolls around, but its beautiful country man.
my father in law is training hard, we may have to go slow, but he will make it up the mountain. thank you all for the replies. much appreciated.

my father in law is training hard, we may have to go slow, but he will make it up the mountain. thank you all for the replies. much appreciated.
I'm hunting that unit in the archery season. Shoot me a text before you head down here and I'll try and point you in the right direction. 775-530-6675

Jhaury7

Lil-Rokslider
Steep country. Seen some good bucks back in there though. Although I stopped seeing bucks when I started seeing goats. 6000’ - 7000’ seemed to be the ticket