Nevada Archery mule deer hunt in unit with very little vegetation/cover

cscott925

FNG
Hey everyone! The only info I’ve come across for my unit says deer are in the low crop lands and along the river. I much prefer to hunt the high country, glass and spot and stalk. I see there are several mountains in the unit in the 6,000’ range with some springs and feed but no trees or tall vegetation for cover. Would it still be worth a look up high or are these seemingly baren high Nevada hills too exposed for mule deer? Thanks!

Last edited:

Braaap

WKR
There should be deer. You can PM me the unit and I might have more info but in northern Nevada there are deer everywhere ( not always in large numbers).

I would start High. Nevada deer are accustomed to the terrain here in nevada and make it work. I have had similar hunts here and have had the most success up high. My plan b would be trying to pattern the crop deer going to and from the fields.

You would be surprised at where they will turn up in Nevada. There’s hidden pockets of feed and moisture up in those barren hills. I have kicked up deer up high on barren peaks totally by surprise. Let us know how you do.

OP
cscott925

cscott925

FNG
You would be surprised at where they will turn up in Nevada. There’s hidden pockets of feed and moisture up in those barren hills. I have kicked up deer up high on barren peaks totally by surprise. Let us know how you do.
I’m heading out there Sunday for a couple days and I’ll give a report. Thanks!

OP
cscott925

cscott925

FNG
So how was it? Did you find any deer up high?
I didn’t see a single deer up high, saw some in the alfalfa in the morning but no bucks. Finally got some local knowledge of an archery only area along the river and found the deer. I saw a really nice 4x4 that I spent the rest of the time chasing but couldn’t get in range. I probably wouldn’t archery hunt this unit again I think it’s a migratory area should be better in the late seasons.