NEW American Rifle Company Coup De Grace Action $899

id_jon

WKR
Which is what? I can’t even decipher that much. And is it flush mount?
AW. They're a 10 round double stack. Not flush mount, as you said, they weren't designed for carrying in hand hunting, they were designed to hold 10 rounds.

ID_Matt

WKR
Which is what? I can’t even decipher that much. And is it flush mount?
It is "optimized" for AW mags, which are generally 10 round double stack, not flush. Looks like it can be used with aics with small modification of the latch. For a flush setup similar to the bdl, you would get an M5 bottom metal and a flush mag from mdt or whoever makes them. Or if you are using a chassis, just a flush mag.

See? It’s absurd. It should take any interpretation or modification to find something that properly holds bullets and feeds them into the chamber.

It’s especially confusing if you come from a strictly hunting background and find tacticoll stuff offputting. All this stuff seems to be based off of weird space age firearms from accuracy international. Those aren’t hunting guns. I have zero interest in learning about them. Give me something I understand.
So you're actively opposed to learning about how this action (and the two most ubiquitous forms of precision rifle detachable magazine) work, therefore it's absurd for a company to make something with them? Not everything new is tacticool, some of it just works better than traditional stuff and that's why people use it.

SDHNTR

WKR
It is "optimized" for AW mags, which are generally 10 round double stack, not flush. Looks like it can be used with aics with small modification of the latch. For a flush setup similar to the bdl, you would get an M5 bottom metal and a flush mag from mdt or whoever makes them. Or if you are using a chassis, just a flush mag.

I guess I just don’t understand how an action marketed for hunting is designed for such a tactical magazine.

SDHNTR

WKR
So you're actively opposed to learning about how this action (and the two most ubiquitous forms of detachable magazine) work, therefore it's absurd for a company to make something with them? Not everything new is tacticool, some of it just works better than traditional stuff and that's why people use it.
No, It’s simple. This is an action marketing for hunting guns. A magazine holds bullets. I generally love learning about how things work, but this is a simple task. Beyond holding and feeding ammunition, I don’t see the need to reinvent the wheel. Learning about a new magazine option does not enhance my performance. I’ve learned the advantages of FFP scopes and vertical grip stocks, so I’m not a total Fudd, but I don’t see the need to make a magazine system complex. A magazine either works or it doesn’t. And assuming it works, one type or the other is not going to make me a better hunter. A hunting rifle should not have a dingdong hanging down several inches from the bottom of it. And it doesn’t need to hold 10 rounds. In order to have a magazine that is flush mount and works in a hunting rifle, I shouldn’t have to make modifications. That’s just my take.

If this won’t work, there’s plenty of other options without such complexity. It’s just too bad, because the price point here is very attractive. Offer it with BDL or M5 (without mods required) and problem solved. Those are hunting rifle options, imo.

Last edited:

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
I like the action and I am confident that LRI can build it into something crazy accurate…but I am not a fan of detachable mags on hunting rifles.

ID_Matt

WKR
I guess I just don’t understand how an action marketed for hunting is designed for such a tactical magazine.
I don't read anything in the product page about hunting, so it may just be marketed for NRL hunter competition types. Either way, with the options on the market now like that MDT flush mag and the Hawkins hunter mags, i don't see a need or advantage to a BDL. BDL have always been fairly finicky for me.

No, It’s simple. This is an action marketing for hunting guns.
Correct. This is an action marketed as a base for a precision hunting gun. And precision shooters overwhelmingly prefer AICS and AW magazines.
Beyond holdin and feeding ammunition, I don’t see the need to reinvent the wheel.
You can't think of any reason at all why those magazines are preferred by people who do a metric ton of shooting?
A hunting rifle should not have a dingdong hanging down several inches from the bottom of it. And it doesn’t need to hold 10 rounds.
Again if you just tell them you want it AICS compatible they'll ship it that way and you can use 3 round AICS magazines that don't protrude at all.
In order to have a magazine that is flush mount and works in a hunting rifle, I shouldn’t have to make modifications. That’s just my take.
And ARC agrees with your take, hence why you can let them know you want it to come from them that way.
If this won’t work, there’s plenty of other options without such complexity. It’s just too bad, because the price point here is very attractive.
Most of the complexity seems to be imagined on your part and not in any way connected to the design of the action.

SDHNTR

WKR
I don't read anything in the product page about hunting, so it may just be marketed for NRL hunter competition types. Either way, with the options on the market now like that MDT flush mag and the Hawkins hunter mags, i don't see a need or advantage to a BDL. BDL have always been fairly finicky for me.
Perhaps I misread things, or was overly eager to see this and think it could’ve been used for hunting. But I thought I saw it marketed as their hunting action option somewhere.

People say BDL can be finicky, but in my experience with SAAMI cartridges, it’s a non-issue. With dozens of rifles, I’ve only had one single problem, and that was when I was trying to get long bullets loaded into a 300 WSM to feed through a short action. Other than that obvious challenge, never had a problem with a floor plate.

Last edited:

ID_Matt

WKR
Perhaps I misread things, or was overly eager to see this and think it could’ve been used for hunting. But I thought I saw it marketed as there hunting action option somewhere.

People say BDL can be finicky, but in my experience with SAAMI cartridges, it’s a non-issue. With dozens of rifles, I’ve only had one single problem, and that was when I was trying to get long bullets loaded into a 300 WSM to feed through a short action. Other than that obvious challenge, never had a problem with a floor plate.
What do you see as the disadvantage to the flush fit mags i mentioned earlier?

SDHNTR

WKR
Correct. This is an action marketed as a base for a precision hunting gun. And precision shooters overwhelmingly prefer AICS and AW magazines.

You can't think of any reason at all why those magazines are preferred by people who do a metric ton of shooting?

Again if you just tell them you want it AICS compatible they'll ship it that way and you can use 3 round AICS magazines that don't protrude at all.

And ARC agrees with your take, hence why you can let them know you want it to come from them that way.

Most of the complexity seems to be imagined on your part and not in any way connected to the design of the action.
You make fair points. There’s a difference between hunting and shooting. And I am not really interested in what people who do a lot of shooting, just for the sake of shooting, utilize. I do a lot of shooting also, but it’s strictly for the purpose of practicing to hunt, with hunting be the only end goal.

That said, I didn’t know I could customize it. if I could simply order it with a flush mounted magazine of some sort, that is known to work properly, that’s all I need. Don’t care about the letters. I just wish they would market it as such.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
What do you see as the disadvantage to the flush fit mags i mentioned earlier?
I guess I’m wrong, because it’s not abundantly clear in ARC’s marketing materials, but I was under the impression that if you used an M5 bottom metal, which is the only DBM type that I am familiar with that offers flush mount mags, you had to modify the bottom metal to accommodate the trigger hanger. Which is also something else that is arguably unnecessary in a hunting gun, but that’s a whole other subject.

Wrench

WKR
My neighbor has been shooting one for a couple months now. I am impressed enough to buy a couple myself.

If you spent enough time going down the CDG rabbit hole when it came out you would know it was developed specifically to run off AIAW mags (accuracy international arctic warfare rifle magazines). Why? Because they are a true double stack 10 round mag and they feed super smooth because there is less spring tension binding the rounds up in the mag. The idea of a super smooth action doesn’t mean much if they don’t feed rounds from the mag smoothly. The magazine has a lot to do with smoothness of feeding. Ted chose base this action off AW mag because he feels those are the best mags. Other magazines will work but might need a few minor tweaks. He is making a lighter version due to demand. Ted did not set out to build the ultimate hunting action with the CDG.

SDHNTR

WKR
If you spent enough time going down the CDG rabbit hole when it came out you would know it was developed specifically to run off AIAW mags (accuracy international arctic warfare rifle magazines). Why? Because they are a true double stack 10 round mag and they feed super smooth because there is less spring tension binding the rounds up in the mag. The idea of a super smooth action doesn’t mean much if they don’t feed rounds from the mag smoothly. The magazine has a lot to do with smoothness of feeding. Ted chose base this action off AW mag because he feels those are the best mags. Other magazines will work but might need a few minor tweaks. He is making a lighter version due to demand. Ted did not set out to build the ultimate hunting action with the CDG.
Your last statement is a bummer. Because he’s close. I’m not aware of anything else that is lightweight, has an integral lug and rail for under $1000. If he optimized it to work with a hunting style magazine, he would have built a better mouse trap, imo.

NSI

WKR
Your last statement is a bummer. Because he’s close. I’m not aware of anything else that is lightweight, has an integral lug and rail for under $1000. If he optimized it to work with a hunting style magazine, he would have built a better mouse trap, imo.
I believe the Kelbly Nanook on sale comes close to your spec.

I’m not a 700 guy but this LW CDG interests me for an NRL hunter gun. It’ll go up against the UM BAT Vesper short action whenever that is released with a 70 degree throw.

-J

I believe the Kelbly Nanook on sale comes close to your spec.

I’m not a 700 guy but this LW CDG interests me for an NRL hunter gun. It’ll go up against the UM BAT Vesper short action whenever that is released with a 70 degree throw.

-J
for half the price of the Vesper.

Does nobody else have an issue with where the rail is on the LW action? I don't think i could mount any of my scopes as far back as I need them to be for proper eye relief with how far forward that rear rail is..

Isn't ARC kind of infamous for having a bunch of revs of every action to work out the bugs from the original releases?

SDHNTR

WKR
for half the price of the Vesper.

Does nobody else have an issue with where the rail is on the LW action? I don't think i could mount any of my scopes as far back as I need them to be for proper eye relief with how far forward that rear rail is..

Isn't ARC kind of infamous for having a bunch of revs of every action to work out the bugs from the original releases?
Does the rear rail ever really limit scope travel front to back? It’s the forward rail that usually limits fore/aft travel by hitting the objective bell.

Does the rear rail ever really limit scope travel front to back? It’s the forward rail that usually limits fore/aft travel by hitting the objective bell.

For me, yes! the whole housing where the turrets are frequently runs tight on my rear ring. I must have a short neck or something, always been that way. I'm average as can be @ 5'10" with normal arms.