New back country hunter. pack weight

KurtR

WKR
That looks like my pack the first year i went out. First thing i did when i got back
Eberlestock turned into kifaru
dont bring spotter got lighter tripod
depending on water i filled my bladder and kept it at camp used a nalgene while hunting.
To much food i could still be living out there since last october haha
i always bring to much clothes the what if fairy kicks my ass it was my third year last year and she still whipped me.
No bipod on rifle
I have now made a list if i used it that stays if not its out of the pack.

BenFrank

FNG

LaHunter

WKR
That 85 mm spotter is the first place I would cut weight.
I carry a 65mm spotter, promaster tripod, & Suiri fluid head and that is a significant load. But when I need it I need it, so I pack it.
Late November, depending on your location, can get pretty cold with some snow. Your bivy sack may not be enough protection. Not sure what type of weather conditions you will see in a 'high desert' environment.
Your empty pack wt is heavy. You could save wt there obviously. Also, a better pack would be more comfortable with the same wt.
Most cases, light wt = more $$, as long as the light wt doesn't sacrifice on function/performance.

MikeG

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking into getting a katadyn BeFree to use to refill water since it'll roll up into your pocket, weighs next to nothing or you can fill it up and your bladder bag
I use the befree coupled with a 3l bag and love it. Filters very quickly and is super light and simple.

MtGomer

WKR
Neo air pad is a good way to save a little weight. Save 4 pounds with a different pack.
No need to carry your camp all the time

Sounds Heavy man. Here is a list of my base weight pack. No clothes, food, water, or weapon as that changes. But, this is close to what you need. I could cut some more but, I ain't changing frame or pack bag, my quilt, or my pad. I like them. This is a solid setup while not being over run with name brand expensive stuff. However, everything works and performs flawlessly.

Attachments

• Pack List.pdf
    139.5 KB · Views: 59
Cheapest option is to get stronger haha But some others would be:
1) Sell the tripod! That’s a really heavy set up. I understand the importance of a tripod but can get a carbon set up for about the same retail as yours and cut the weight by 50%.
2) Ditch the spotter. High desert is big country but unless trying to determine between a 180 and 185” deer, it’s not worth the weight. Binos on a tripod and scope should be plenty.
3) Carry minimal water and plan ahead to camp around possible sources. Leave the life straw and get a steripen/sawyer/trail shot, take your pick, all around 5 ounces.

Those are the big ones. Little tips would be:
1) if your Rifle has a bipod, ditch it, shoot off your pack
2) really inventory your med kit, anything happens out there you will be pretty limited on what you can do. I’ve seen people carry a lot of dead weight in med kits. It’s important to be prepared, but also need to be realistic.
3) your choice of insulation (vellus) is super heavy. I would go with a much lighter down or synthetic jacket. A down jacket and lightweight rain jacket would probably be half the weight of just the vellus jacket alone. I would leave pants, have good base layer and whatever pants you hike out in. One trick is if get cold glassing or sitting around camp take out sleeping bag and slip it on.
4) nerd out on food, start looking at calorie densities per ounce. Most people could cut 1/2 lbs per day of food if trying.
5) plan on boning out meat in field and carry fewer game bags if you weren’t already

Sorry if long winded. I started doing the backcountry thing 4-5 years ago, went out with 70lbs on my back into a wilderness area above 10,000 ft and got my ass handed to me. Now I usually pack out for 5-6 days at 40ish lbs. Wish I would of done some more research and someone told me these things but had to learn the hard way! Good luck.

You'll get there in time. Just weigh every single item that you take. As you look at replacing things, get the weights of the new items and the price, and then figure out the weight savings per dollar spent. This will help you decide if replacing said item is really worth it or not (unless you just want the new gadget).

And nerd out on food

The key is to slowly cut your weight over time. Pick one or two things each year to upgrade or better yet, leave at home. It’s hard to know what you truly need until you go. You can also break things down into a cost per ounce to upgrade and see if it’s worth it. Most of the time you can cut a ton of weight by leaving nonessentials at home. My best friend brought a full size mag light on his first backpacking trip haha. He felt like it was really needed but obviously next time it stayed at home.

OP
Cowboyup1357
All the info here has been fantastic. In the last couple of days since first posting this I have been able to shave off 4 pounds without changing my pack or rifle ( maybe 5 pounds once i weigh my rifle with no bipod ) so i'm still not where i want to be but definitely getting there

Jimbob

WKR
Every ounce counts when you are cutting weight. A few changes from last year and I am able to cut a bunch of weight.

As I need to buy more items for my whole family to hike it only makes sense to upgrade to ultralight stuff. I need 5 sleeping pads so I might as well upgrade to lighter weight, same goes with bag. This justifies new purchases as I am not just upgrade for weight.

Also little things like switching rope, no redundancies, drying out baby wet wipes, different knife, different water bottle(empty Gatorade over nalgene). Once you have a scale and weigh everything you will be shocked at the amount of ounces you can cut.

Last but not least, do not be afraid to chop up your stuff. Remove needless fabric and straps from items. Remove leg sections from tripod or pieces from tripod head. Don’t be afraid to explore this option.

Don’t forget that in the end this will not make or break your hunt. You can enjoy yourself just as much as anyone else out there, that the mental part that is way more important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
Dyneema/Spectra/Amsteel cordage is lighter and stronger than 550 at the same diameter. Get some with tracers in it to see better at night. 50' might be excessive, depending on what you're envisioning you might need it for.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Every ounce counts when you are cutting weight. A few changes from last year and I am able to cut a bunch of weight.

As I need to buy more items for my whole family to hike it only makes sense to upgrade to ultralight stuff. I need 5 sleeping pads so I might as well upgrade to lighter weight, same goes with bag. This justifies new purchases as I am not just upgrade for weight.

Also little things like switching rope, no redundancies, drying out baby wet wipes, different knife, different water bottle(empty Gatorade over nalgene). Once you have a scale and weigh everything you will be shocked at the amount of ounces you can cut.

Last but not least, do not be afraid to chop up your stuff. Remove needless fabric and straps from items. Remove leg sections from tripod or pieces from tripod head. Don’t be afraid to explore this option.

Don’t forget that in the end this will not make or break your hunt. You can enjoy yourself just as much as anyone else out there, that the mental part that is way more important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SmartWater water bottles are easier to deal with than Gatorade bottles. Fit in pouches really easy and lots of filters screw right on

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SmartWater water bottles are easier to deal with than Gatorade bottles. Fit in pouches really easy and lots of filters screw right on

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Walmart has an Outdoor Research Model that weighs literally nothing, for a whopping $3 apiece. I've used these the last two years and they work great. You can't get lighter after taking the 'biner off and they pack up SO small. I replaced ny 6 liter dromedary bag with two of these and two of the sawyer bags. Cut a lot of weight and allows one to pack better around the four full bags if need be. Versus the bigger bags.

Wrench

WKR
I use gatorade bottles to get me to my "base camp" (tipi and gear dump). I then save my mountain house bags. One becomes garbage bag, the rest become water bladders. I'll haul water back every night to keep up on the hydration and have it handy to clean up, cook with etc.

I wouldn't be caught without aqua mira drops. They don't taste bad and I've been in some suspicious water over the years and never let me down. I think a legit filter is worth it's weight. When you pull water from a wallow and it is clear and smell free....you realize it's a bargain at 4 oz.

Take a piece of paper and a pencil and write down what you wish you had, what you know you didn't need and what you used most.

For me I'm at 47lbs for a week in early season with a load of food and 2qt water.

I'm not brand loyal to anything and I am a hodgepodge of color, bit it works.