New backpack from Kifaru - The 14'er!!!

New backpack from Kifaru - The 14'r!!!

Disclaimer: I don't work for Kifaru, but I was given the pack in a kind of "pictures for pack" deal. Aron has seen me over the years more than once while out hiking, at Whole Foods (He's always buying peanut butter bars) and before I knew who he was I was always raving about Kifaru packs and how they're really the only pack I can use after I banged up my shoulder, etc. I've purchased more $$$ worth of Kifaru gear than I even want to add up (3 backpacks, a couple of Woobies, stove, shelter, cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching). As a photographer, I've been taking pictures of me using my Kifaru stuff on numerous and varied (yet always unsuccessful) elk hunting trips so at some point I think Aron felt bad for me yet liked my pictures so he let me have a pack he had laying around. Nanner.

All kidding aside, while not a "paid endorsement", I was in fact given this particular pack.

As anyone who has seen any of my photographs can attest, I’m a pretty hardcore Kifaru fanatic; in addition to the new 14’r I’m reviewing here, I've also purchased/own a Molle Xpress, Navigator, and an EMR II (on a 26" Duplex frame) as well as numerous other pieces of Kifaru kit. I’m sure I don’t need to spend a lot of time extolling the virtues of Kifaru to Rokslide forum members, but I am excited to be able to bring you this review of the soon-to-be-released Kifaru 14’r. Note that my pack is in fact a prototype so there will likely be minor differences in the production models and what you see here, which I’ll update as the production model is released.

Vz8tTnm.jpg

From looking a the pictures, you can see that the 14'r is a mid-sized pack. Specifically, the 14’r has 23” stays, and comes in at approximately 26” long (when fully stuffed) and approximately 13” wide. But, with the curve of the 23" stays the actual frame measures in at right at 22" long. So, what I'm getting at, is that the 14'r looks like it will fall within the carry-on maximum dimensions of 22" length and 14" width. Based on way too much personal experience with airline travel, some airlines are more generous than others and as long as you're close you can usually sneak most backpacks onto the plane. Occasionally, I have had to place my carry-on inside a "bag sizer" and if you have to do so with the 14'r, you'll probably be OK. If I seem "iffy" here, it is only because you never know what a particular Flight Attendant will do on a given day so no guarantees.

One of my favorite things about the pack is the ease-of-access, via zippers along either the top or the "main" zipper running down the center of the pack. The end result is that you can stuff it like a top loader, but have the easy-of-access of a panel loader. There is also a zippered pouch on the top (where I usually keep a solar panel, solar-chargeable/USB battery) , and on the inside of the top "panel" there is a zippered mesh pouch for carrying oft-used items like calls, pruning shears, camera stuff, whatever.

R5FgoY7h.jpg

Of course, a great thing about Kifaru packs is the great degree of customization they afford. As you can see in the pictures, there are eight (8) attachment points down each side of the pack, as well as attachment points on the inside for smaller pouches, a water bladder, etc. I’m currently running two long pockets, one on each side, as well as a large belt pouch on the inside of the pack as a sort of “probables” pouch where I keep things like a spare battery for my Olympus M1, lens pen, coyote call, tripod mounts, and other things like that where they are easily accessible.

Uu5wzcf.jpg

You can see the two horizontal compressions straps, and there are also two vertical compression straps on the bottom that not only, well, compress the load, they work perfectly to hold my Woobie and XLite secured inside a Kifaru compression sack. So configured, you can carry quite a bit inside this pack, and the 23” stays and suspension system allow you to carry it in comfort. The new suspension system, particularly the torso pad, definitely lives up to the Kifaru reputation for carrying comfort, but in a very (VERY) lightweight, and efficient package.

U7Rv0kP.jpg

The new torso pad, seen in the picture above, is one of those things that works so well you don't even know it is there. More so than on the other Kifaru pads/packs I've used, the pad nicely "free floats" a bit against the pack and a hip belt attaches in seconds. I've carried lighter weights without the belt but for a pack with 23" stays I'd definitely go with a hip belt. I don't have a belt attached on the pics above but you'll see some pics where I attached a (Multi-cam) hip belt from my Molle Xpress.

ZdVJJAR.jpg

As I mentioned, I have three other Kifaru backpacks - a Molle Xpress, Navigator, and an EMR II (with 21”, 24”, and 26” stays, respectively) and the 14’r really hits a nice “sweet spot” between them. The 14'r carries significantly more weight (comfortably) than the 21" Molle Xpress, and unlike the Navigator I can confidently use it as a carry-on.

I have used the 14'r for more than a month now on everything from day hikes, overnight mountain biking scouting/fly fishing trips to multi-day backcountry turkey hunting excursions and the 14'r has continued to impress me. A cool thing (well, depending on whether you're a Mule Deer or not) happened shortly after receiving the pack - I saw the remnants of a Mule Deer road kill. I didn't see the hit itself, but while out on a quick morning bike ride there wasn't a dead deer in my way, and on the trip home there was...so, after doing some quick math I was pretty sure the time of death was somewhat recent.

I made a quick call to CO Parks & Wildlife for a roadkill permit, and then made it home to grab my kill kit, and hiked back a mile or so to the deer. While it was "my first road kill", I was surprised at how it didn't seem all that weird as I dragged the buck off as far as I could to the side of the road and went to work. I opted for a gutless quartering, as the deer looked like it got hammered pretty hard in the rear quarter area and I was worried that things inside could be pretty smashed up. Long story short, it was a quick quartering job and the 14'r was comfortably able to pack out about 60lbs worth of Mule Deer (x4 quarters and backstraps) for the mile or so trip home.

Lo8k8Z3.jpg

Thanks to the draconian "Max of 8 images per post" limit I can only fit two more pictures, so here are a couple more shots of the pack in use on a mountain biking scouting trip in CO and a recent hunt in MO to chase turkeys.

CCgCuuo.jpg

YYinUzy.jpg

While I haven't actually killed a turkey yet, technically that isn't the 14'r's fault...and there is still some time in the CO season, and the snow is starting to melt. So, time will tell but *hopefully* there will be a "Part II" to this review that includes an actual pack-out (*fingers crossed*).

While I don't know whether or not I will kill a turkey, I *do* know that the Kifaru 14'r perfectly lives up to its intended purpose as a pack that is small enough to use for everyday carry, as an airline carry-on, and even for multi-day backpacking trips and even pack out a deer. I'm continually impressed at how Kifaru continues to refine and improve their gear, and the 14'r seems to be the perfect blend of prior generations combined with subtle improvements to raise the bar even higher for hard-use packs.

The only real "con" I can see is pretty much the same as any quality gear - the price. I'm not sure what the final price will be (I'll update this once the final price is established) but I'm sure it will be more expensive than a lot of packs that look similar, and I'm sure it will be worth every cent.

You can purchase the Kifaru 14'r here -

https://store.kifaru.net/14r-2400-ci393-liter-p209.aspx

Composite stays - $434
Aluminum stays - $394
Carbon fiber arrows - $376

Last edited:

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
MH Thanks for a fantastic review. You did a great job. Got me definitely wanting to jump on buying one of these when they go live. Appreciate Aaron and his technique in finding a regular guy who takes great photos doing a review on the Kifaru gear. You pretty much embody what Kifaru Customer's are all about and you nailed a lot of the great points we would ask questions about. Cant wait to see this pack in action and it may just replace my Pointman.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
This pack looks great (as expected) your review got me excited for its release. Can't wait to check it out in person

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
Great review, but I don't think these new packs actually exist. They are all just a figment of our imagination...:D

OP
Medal Hunting
Not familiar, but I'm willing to bet the last few words of my review are appropriate -

"...I'm sure it will be more expensive than a lot of packs that look similar, and I'm sure it will be worth every cent."

Last edited:

LBFowler

WKR
Price has nothing to do with it.
Dunamis is a small, custom maker with a good reputation. I've never owned anything from him but I remembered the foray pack because it was a very unique design.

OP
Medal Hunting
Long shot: Did you happen to test TarryAll too? :cool:

Nope; I wish I could help, up I'm not even familiar with the "TarryAll."

Regarding questions about comparison to other packs and/or manufacturers such as -

Welpro222 said:
"Are they switching to a Hill People Gear style shoulder harness?"

I'm honestly not sure how to answer them. And, in a lot of cases I simply don't know if it is even fair/correct to accurately refer to a design feature as "Company X style" regardless of who "Company X" happens to be. Just my personal opinion here, and I make no claims about any sort of "insider knowledge" or status, but it seems a LOT of what I've seen out there from other manufacturers looks a LOT like stuff put out by, well, Kifaru not long before "Company X" who then made a slight tweak and called it their own.

This certainly isn't directed towards welpro222 or anyone else in particular, I'm just letting you know where I'm coming from as to why I don't go down that path. Whether the question is about lineage or future direction, I simply don't have the insight to provide an accurate answer.

More importantly - Thanks for the comments/likes/views!!!

Last edited:

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Are they switching to a Hill People Gear style shoulder harness?
I had Bender make a couple yoke type harness systems for me, but I don't know that we'll pursue them or not.

The new packs have our standard shoulder straps.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk