New Bikini High Camp 4800 Arrived!

Mudd Foot

WKR
As the title states Christmas came yesterday in case you weren’t aware! Since the wife and kids are in Disney, the unboxing gave me all night to play with the new toys. Here’s the list of what came in the box: Black 26” Bikini, Multicam HC 4800 with HC lid, large belt pouch also in Multicam, UL Mega pullout, and a Gen 2 hanging meat bag. Below is a summary of my initial impressions of the frame and bag. Hopefully this review is insightful for folks unable to put their hands on a new Bikini/Highcamp combo, or those with similar physical limitations listed below.

After reading the instructions and watching some of Aron and Kevin’s adjustment videos on Youtube, the two of us (pack and me) took a mile stroll on a local trail before it got dark. She only had about 40 pounds in her, but that’s because I’m 9 weeks post double ACDF surgery. Having lost 20 pounds initially, and only gained back 5 so far, I’m pretty weak. In my current state, I can't lower myself from the top of the dip bars, so 40 pounds is likely equivalent to 100+ lbs. that you pack mules here are capable of carrying! (My pre-injury weight was 195 lbs. at 5’11, with a 33” waist and 18” torso. Am now 180 lbs with no strength in my upper torso.)

Anyway, from the moment that I put the pack on to the end of the hike, there was absolutely no neck or shoulder weight-bearing discomfort whatsoever. In fact, my neck was stress-free, and I didn’t need to remind myself to relax my shoulder girdle. The height of the 26” standard-back stays and load lifters eliminated strain to this area compared to my packs with only a 20" frame. Having only returned to the gym 3 weeks ago, and with 5 pound dumbbells as the starting point, I feel well qualified to evaluate neck and shoulder discomfort.

As far as the lower back area goes, the frame performed marvelously. Truth be told, I needed to watch all of the adjustment videos in order to shorten the load lifters for a steeper 45 degree angle, and raise the lumbar pad about an inch, but these are the types of additional adjustments that only a hike could have revealed. Kifaru’s lumbar pad and belt is another engineering marvel for those of us with lower back issues. The power pulls make cinching the belt a breeze, and require much less effort than other belts. In combination, the belt system is VERY comfortable, and the best of any hunting or backpacking pack that I’ve personally tried.

The frame itself is more rigid that the Rokslide videos of the Bikini. Not sure if this is an anomaly, or if recent changes have made, but there is no racking whatsoever of my 26” frame like that shown by Aron and Matt in their comparison videos. The standard back frame was my selection, as my lower back has a fair amount of inward curve.

The Highcamp bag and lid bear mentioning, but others have already pointed out the modularity and weight-saving features versus other bags. I like the shape of the bag and positioning of the attachment points coupled with the elastic banding. The HC lid is simple as i dislike having items shifting around up there while hiking. Nuff said.

In terms of engineering to solve load-hauling at sub-five pounds empty pack weight, materials used in the construction, and sensibility of the lay-out, this system is very impressive. As an example for those of you that don’t have any experience with them, the K-connectors are genius for a hunting platform application! They are light, super easy to use and adjust, and quiet unlike clicking buckles.

The only caveat, and one that has been mentioned previously, is the quality of some of the cutting, sewing, and seam work. Please note that what we are talking about here are the cosmetics of the cutting, stitches, and seams. Having sewn my own DIY top quilt last year I understand the challenge of sewing, especially with 30 denier fabric like the KU pullout material. However, some of the work is sloppy, as if the seamstress was fairly new, and my items were not part of the random selection of the QC manager.

The Kifaru labels themselves look amateurish with uneven lines, double-stitched down one side but not the others, and crossing through the name of all places. This is curious given the echelon Kifaru occupies, and superior engineering that has gone into making the best engineered load haulers available this side of hiring a Sherpa. My hunting buddies are unfamiliar with Kifaru, but have heard me wax on about “getting the best” after all of my research. After looking at the labels, they are likely to ask “uh, you paid how much…?”

Of course, once they wear the pack, they will be impressed as the combination of weight-saving carbon laminate stays, customizable torso length, and the height of the load lifters delivers load hauling capabilities only previously found in packs weighing twice as much. One of my buddies is a Mystery Ranch wonk, and I am looking forward to our arguments!

It goes without saying that many of your reading this review are thinking that I need to get this pack bloody in order for this analysis to have any hunting-situation credibility, and you are correct, but that’s a ways off as I am physically incapable of even drawing a 60lb. bow back yet. Forget let-off; I can’t even start to draw the string back.

That said, with my limitations, who better than a emaciated, post-surgical PROFILE like me to give an evaluation of the comfort of a pack under load?!

Overall, my impression of this system and its comfort is 9.5 out of 10. Once Kifaru gets the cosmetic QC issues under control they will likely be the yardstick for all things hunting pack without reservation.

Just my $.02,

Mudd Foot

boom

WKR
mudd. good review..well written.

wishing you a quick recovery! i never even looked at the stitching on my new pack. you have any closeup photos? just curious.

OP
Mudd Foot

Mudd Foot

WKR
Couple additional thoughts that hopefully are helpful.

1. This pack is light! At 4.5 lbs it exactly fits my needs for a pack that can double as both a 120 lb hauler (not that I'm capable at this point!) and a daypack. Not an easy accomplishment, yet the combo performs this role in spades. My elk buddy with the MR 6500 came over yesterday to compare our rigs. He picked up the empty pack, and about fell over in disbelief. My Bikini 4800 is easily half the weight of his rig. At 9 lbs, my entire sleep system (hammock & straps, under quilt, top quilt, mosquito netting, and tarp) is already in the bag while his is still empty. Speaking of daypacks, traditional bows can be easily drawn and shot wearing the combination. Compounds require less rigid attention to drawing form, so if the pack enables trad bow shooting, it is a good measurement of a streamlined design.

2. The HC 4800 is simple. No, not like your wife's Uncle Earl, but in ease of use. The compression straps, K-connectors, attachment point layout, and the use of three-bar sliders as the connectors on pouches is very well thought out as if it was contemplated for operating in low light. Within 1 hour of having the pack, a person could readily adjust or reconfigure it in the dark. Of course some folks prefer sewn-in pockets and dividers to keep gear organized and the HC is just a big duffel. To each his own, but in my mind these add weight. Organizational intentions are like my other good intentions; around the 4th day when exhaustion sets in, everything just gets stuffed in the main bag.

3. The HC 4800 is in the shape of an upside down mushroom. This is the first pack in my collection that has this feature in such a pronounced fashion, and another under-rated detail for the Kifaru line. With proper lightweight but bulky gear placement in the sleeping bag compartment, it serves as a platform or ballast to stabilize heavy loads placed above it.

BTW, the MR 6500 is a great pack with bomb-proof materials, features, and construction. That said the physics of load lifters is undeniable to me at least, and a system capable of comfortable load hauling that starts at half the weight is going to be the winner every time.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Hmmm...for me the NICE 6500 was the only one of the NICE packs that I thought had functional load lifters. Glad you like your 4800 Highcamp though...I really like my 7K highcamp...works like a champ and always carries the weight well.

OP
Mudd Foot

Mudd Foot

WKR
Good point Luke. My comparison of the two bag's lifters was visual, not an actual test of carried weight. My statement should probably read something more like "the effectiveness of frame-attached load lifters appears to be most closely correlated to their height..."

That said, my most comfortable angle of the lifters with the Bikini/4800 is 45 degrees, and in eyeballing the MR I thought "...those might not be enough for me." At a quick glance, the MR frame's length reminded me of my Gen 3 MOLLE; not the most credible assumption on my part!

Bob

Lil-Rokslider
How does a water bladder and hose work in the High Camp?

OP
Mudd Foot

Mudd Foot

WKR
Bob, I haven't experimented with a bladder in the bag yet. Will check it out tonight, and post a note.

Congrats on a nice pack. I don't know where all the quality control issues have come from? I have owned well over a dozen Kifaru packs over the past 15 years. Up until recently I have never seen any issues. Except for some extremely sloppy sewing, nothing has failed so that's good. I guess when you pay that kind of money it is a bit disappointing.

JasonF

FNG
Thanks for the review. Great to see a frank appraisal of a popular product. I still have one at the top of my wish list, but will know what to expect in the QC department now.

Bob

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks! Trying to decide between the Timberline & HC....leaning toward the HC 7K.