New CD WF21 showed up in the mail today!

Tartan

WKR
@DEW0341 are you shooting yours off the shelf or an elevated rest?

I was able to shoot outside today and can get 400s to shoot off the hump, but the overall weight is just lower than I’d like.

I put a 30oz springy on and the 350s tune great with 250 upfront. Even with aae max vanes I had good clearance and clean flight. Bareshafts and fletched grouped well. arrow is right at 635 grains total weight.

Tried the 300s. Looking like if I crank in the limbs a bit I might be able to get those to tune as well.

It’s odd. With my wf19 and similarly weighted vx+ I got a great tune off the hump, but couldn’t get a springy to tune at all. I’ve got a set of longbow limbs on their way for the wf19 now.

I did play with the brace some. Settled into around 8 1/8 now. Right at the bottom of the range suggested by uukha.

I’ve been shooting bows with a much lower brace lately. Had a border and they’re designed that way. And the wf19 has a lot less deflex than other risers. Trying not to over stress limbs I generally look to leave ~1/2 of string groove visible at brace. It also helps push out the stacking point.

I’ve talked with Calvin a bit and was always amazed they suggest 8.5” with the wf19. It probably works for a shorter draw, with a long draw I feel it’s stressing most limbs.

the wf21 has enough extra deflex I just had to get it out of my head. Took it up to 8.3 and the preload looks fine.

sneaky

"DADDY"
After some shooting today, I may be heading down the wrong way looking stiffer. But it's all over the place right now.

I'm set up dead center shot as well. at 8" brace. 5/8" nock point. Tiller is even. Shooting off the hump. Haven't messed with any of this yet other than adjusting the nock height slightly.

The last two days I've just throwing arrows set ups at it until I start to see adjustments make the change I expect them to.
  • full length day six 350s show very weak with 250 up front, and even weaker with 300 up front. I don't want to go lighter than 250 upfront as I'd like to keep the arrow weight above 600 grains.
  • full length day six 300s with 225-300 up front show weak.
  • full length BE x-impacts 250s with 300 up front shoot semi-straight, bareshaft still show week. With trad vanes on though, I'm hitting my hand and getting horrible flight.

Somewhere I'm getting a false reading. Probably need to move the target in the garage and just shoot at 10 yards so I can get off more than a dozen arrows without my hands being frozen.

I'm guessing I've got something wonky on the bow set-up and once I figure it out I'll be able to make the 350s or 300s work.
A bad release can give you readings all over the place. Your form needs to be 100% repeatable before moving on. It'll save a ton of headaches.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
DEW0341

DEW0341

WKR
@DEW0341 are you shooting yours off the shelf or an elevated rest?

I was able to shoot outside today and can get 400s to shoot off the hump, but the overall weight is just lower than I’d like.

I put a 30oz springy on and the 350s tune great with 250 upfront. Even with aae max vanes I had good clearance and clean flight. Bareshafts and fletched grouped well. arrow is right at 635 grains total weight.

Tried the 300s. Looking like if I crank in the limbs a bit I might be able to get those to tune as well.

It’s odd. With my wf19 and similarly weighted vx+ I got a great tune off the hump, but couldn’t get a springy to tune at all. I’ve got a set of longbow limbs on their way for the wf19 now.

I did play with the brace some. Settled into around 8 1/8 now. Right at the bottom of the range suggested by uukha.

I’ve been shooting bows with a much lower brace lately. Had a border and they’re designed that way. And the wf19 has a lot less deflex than other risers. Trying not to over stress limbs I generally look to leave ~1/2 of string groove visible at brace. It also helps push out the stacking point.

I’ve talked with Calvin a bit and was always amazed they suggest 8.5” with the wf19. It probably works for a shorter draw, with a long draw I feel it’s stressing most limbs.

the wf21 has enough extra deflex I just had to get it out of my head. Took it up to 8.3 and the preload looks fine.

I’m shooting off the hump with an accutune. Will be using a springy rest once it shows up, I’ve been waiting on it through the mail system since Jan 6th the only time I had issues was when I was playing with the solid grip trigger and was getting stiff then weak moving the trigger around in the grip but once I got it where I want it I haven’t had any issues.

How far are you shooting when bareshafting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tartan

WKR
I’m shooting off the hump with an accutune. Will be using a springy rest once it shows up, I’ve been waiting on it through the mail system since Jan 6th the only time I had issues was when I was playing with the solid grip trigger and was getting stiff then weak moving the trigger around in the grip but once I got it where I want it I haven’t had any issues.

How far are you shooting when bareshafting?

I did it at 20 and 30 today. I did add 1/8” of negative tiller too. 30 is usually the farthest I’ll bareshaft.

And then I’ll walk back tune out to 50. Not that my groups are great at 50. But it helps making sure everything is going down the center.

I shot a couple fletched arrows at 40 today. And they were down the middle.

A bad release can give you readings all over the place. Your form needs to be 100% repeatable before moving on. It'll save a ton of headaches.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

great advice. Not to brag on myself, but that’s not my problem.

I triple checked limb alignment and center shot and everything was fine. I did get 400s to tune but lighter than I wanted total arrow weight to be.

I still think it’s weird I can’t seem to get an arrow to give me a stiff reading when shooting off the shelf. I could get a weak reading with a 400 spine with higher point weight. And got a really extreme false weak (contact) with 350s and 300s no matter what I did with point weight or limb bolt settings. Like bareshaft arrow flying sideways and almost missing a matrix target at 20 yards.

i did find a good tune with the springy. Ended up going a little negative in tiller. I suppose it’s possible if I try messing with tiller more I could get it to tune off the shelf.

Last edited:

Tartan

WKR
Sorry. Off the subject of my weird tuning mishaps. And back to the riser.

As to be expected from CD it’s very well made. When some chatter of a wf21 came about I was really hoping they would give it more deflex like they did with the wf29. It’s like Calvin and Dewayne read my thoughts.

it holds very stable, some of that is the overall weight, but the deflex helps too.

I shoot with a vertical bow and prefer the bow to remain fairly upright on the post shot reaction. I was able to get exactly what I’m looking for with the 7oz weight pushed out on the opposite side of the quiver.

I'm sure the heavier weight isn’t for everybody. But I think they nailed the geometry and balance to not require a bunch of extra weight up front.

For me, if I started with a different riser, I’d probably put an 11oz yost up front. I’d also put 3-4 extra 1oz weights off the side to balance with the quiver and end up almost at the same total anyways.

OP
DEW0341

DEW0341

WKR
Sorry. Off the subject of my weird tuning mishaps. And back to the riser.

As to be expected from CD it’s very well made. When some chatter of a wf21 came about I was really hoping they would give it more deflex like they did with the wf29. It’s like Calvin and Dewayne read my thoughts.

it holds very stable, some of that is the overall weight, but the deflex helps too.

I shoot with a vertical bow and prefer the bow to remain fairly upright on the post shot reaction. I was able to get exactly what I’m looking for with the 7oz weight pushed out on the opposite side of the quiver.

I'm sure the heavier weight isn’t for everybody. But I think they nailed the geometry and balance to not require a bunch of extra weight up front.

For me, if I started with a different riser, I’d probably put an 11oz yost up front. I’d also put 3-4 extra 1oz weights off the side to balance with the quiver and end up almost at the same total anyways.

The tuning stuff is crappy to deal with when it it doesn’t iron out Easy.

The riser is very nice to shoot, it I could I would shoot 150 arrows a day just cause I like the set up so much.

I am going to switch my the Jager grip out out for an R core grip though. I feel like I fight that jager a little bit

Tartan

WKR
The tuning stuff is crappy to deal with when it it doesn’t iron out Easy.

The riser is very nice to shoot, it I could I would shoot 150 arrows a day just cause I like the set up so much.

I am going to switch my the Jager grip out out for an R core grip though. I feel like I fight that jager a little bit

i did the same. I had Aris at Rcore make me a custom one based on his “standard” model. It is extra-low with the thumb positioner

1C08AF49-66B4-4C77-9704-297A42A5813C.jpeg

Yeah old thread " I know " wonder which one's of you still owning your CD ARCHERY risers ? Just a hunter n backyard shooter here . I own three of the WF risers , the 19/21 & and the WF25 XTREME. All mine I ordered with the hump. I 'am no spring chicken however like for the last week been "toteing " my WF25 XTREME fully loaded in the field. I " am no giant either . Currently 6'1" 192 lbs. I don’t find even the WF25 heavy . However I realize there not for everyone. It's no secret they also bring heavy duty hardware . All mine I like to run a 9" brace . The WF risers are the " Apocalypse " now risers . Anybody out here hunt with a WF25 and up CD Riser ?
They have also been known to build up your arms and upper body . Making some women drool ! What a fringe benefit . Don't ask me how I know ! Lol ,,,,,

OP
DEW0341

DEW0341

WKR
Yeah old thread " I know " wonder which one's of you still owning your CD ARCHERY risers ? Just a hunter n backyard shooter here . I own three of the WF risers , the 19/21 & and the WF25 XTREME. All mine I ordered with the hump. I 'am no spring chicken however like for the last week been "toteing " my WF25 XTREME fully loaded in the field. I " am no giant either . Currently 6'1" 192 lbs. I don’t find even the WF25 heavy . However I realize there not for everyone. It's no secret they also bring heavy duty hardware . All mine I like to run a 9" brace . The WF risers are the " Apocalypse " now risers . Anybody out here hunt with a WF25 and up CD Riser ?
They have also been known to build up your arms and upper body . Making some women drool ! What a fringe benefit . Don't ask me how I know ! Lol ,,,,,

Still have my WF21. Shoulder injury (gym problems) has had me shooting less volume the past 6 months and I think I’ll get some lighter limbs to help with the rehab getting into shooting shape.
9b14b6171840cf18d803b0f88e724d6e.jpg