New Celestron Hummingbird spotting scope

peddler

Lil-Rokslider
I was talking with an old friend yesterday who is the sales manager at Celestron and he told me about two mini spotting scopes that they just introduced. One is 7.5-22 X 50 and the other is 9-27 X 56. Maybe something for the ounce counters.

Maybe I can hook Matt up to do a review.

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
I would like to see a review on that 56mm. ED glass on a little scope looks slick.

OP
P

peddler

Lil-Rokslider
I was able to get Matt together with Celestron and it looks like he will be reviewing the new Hummingbird Spotters soon.

jr87mustang

Lil-Rokslider
Actually looking forward to this, got tired of lugging around a full size spotting scope and sold it. Vortex Razor is in first place right now for my replacement but it never hurts to look at something else.

WRM

WKR
Don't know about these particular models, but Celestron is a quality UK manufacturer. The bird people are pretty high on them and they don't get excited by much short of perfection. Good price point. Look forward to seeing the review.

bosox2850

FNG
Actually looking forward to this, got tired of lugging around a full size spotting scope and sold it. Vortex Razor is in first place right now for my replacement but it never hurts to look at something else.

Just being honest on my experience I wasn't happy with the small Razor Spotter, for the size to weight comparison and how well I felt it worked I'd prefer just using the Kaibabs and leaving the spotter at home. The Kaibab 20's believe it or not you can still throw them up not on a tripod and use them if needed for a quick glass with in a few hundred yards.

GotDraw?

WKR
I would love to see a Celestron review vs 11-33 Vortex.

I would encourage original poster to consider the following--- Are you backpacking? Gun or Archery hunting? Bivvy hunting? How heavy is your backpack w/o food and what do you carry? While I hear "bosox2850" wasn't happy with the Razor and I know that binos on a tripod are far less tiring... I note that Kaibob 20's weigh 44 oz... almost 3 lbs. If a hunter has to "throw them up" on 2+ lb tripod in order to quickly glass at a couple hundred yards, then that's a 5 lb system, that'd be equivalent to my tent or hammock/tarp plus my 15 degree bag. Not to mention time to pull the tripod and set it. Whew!

I archery hunt, run the Vortex 11-33x Razor (25 oz or so), love it and can use it w/o a tripod on low power for a quick look, or on a u/l trekking pole based 3 leg/4 oz tripod system on higher power for a longer look. To each his own for sure, but 5 lbs is heavy if you're bivvy backpacking. I carry a set of 10x-25mm Bushnell Legend Ultra UDs for typical "quick" glassing. They stay in my right hand belt pouch, accessible in seconds. These things have an amazing value prop for price-to-image quality. 8.1 oz. and about $150. Exit pupil could be bigger, but then I could carry my 24 oz Nikon 10x42 hd's if I wanted to... If I need more exit pupil, I can set up my Razor and get it.

It is cool that we have so many choices, but the Germans have a saying: He who has the choice has the pain...

Great saying! Best of luck to you, original poster- Peddler! If you are in DC, MD, PA near Philly, or northern VA, I will lend you my 11-33x50 Vortex to try out if you want.

PM me with questions any time.

JL

Last edited:
OP
P

peddler

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in upstate NY on the south east corner of Lake Ontario. Matt Cashell is a friend and I thought a review by him for you ounce counters would be neat. An old friend from Kowa now has connections with Celestron and since I hooked Matt up with Kowa review I figured the Hummingbird might be neat. I have no horse in this race just trying to help bring something new to the forefront.
No need for the Vortex I still have a Kowa 88 so I'm way over scoped where I hunt.
My longest shot where we hunt is maybe 350 yds.
WE are about 5 miles south of Cape Vincent, NY where Lake Ontario empties into the St.Lawrence River on its way to the Atlantic Ocean.

Take a look at a map I'm 6 hours from that NY!!!!!

I also hunt the western Adirondacks on occasion.

Don't use the Creedmoor there usually a .308.

Last edited: