New cell phone

My current galaxy S7 (on Verizon) doesn't have enough memory to hold the offline map for the basemap app. I am looking to upgrade to an S10 or Iphone XS Max.

For anybody that has either one (or both), how is the overall performance of the phone for basemaps along with everyday use? I have read reviews that say both have problems with connections and dropping calls. I know that I can get the 3D view for basemap on the iphone but I don't want to chose it just for that reason.

Thanks.

Mosby

WKR
I am in the process of getting a new phone before the season. One of my main criteria is battery life. I need my phone to last the day on the mountain and apps use up juice. I think the S10 is one of the better phones for battery life. I am also looking at the IPhone XR because it is supposed to have a better battery than the XS but the camera isn't as good. I think its all a matter of what features are more important.

Dropped calls may not be a phone issue. I found a big difference between carriers for dropped calls and connectivity. I switched to Verizon after hunting with guys using different carriers. Big difference between them and Verizon seemed to work better in rural areas than the others, fwiw.

I think the S10 has a faster processor, more RAM and more pixels, so if I had to guess, I would say it would work better for the basemap app, but that is a guess and the % difference might be irrelevant. I think the S10 is a lot cheaper, so there's that too.

Last edited:

Bozz

FNG
Can't you just pop in a microsd card In your s7? use apps to sd or something?

Chris76

FNG
I have the iphoneXR and it awesome. I have a lot of apps a lot of pics and music and I use the onXhunt app for my hunting app. If you don’t have check it out bc you get. 7 day free trail and you will love it. I still have plenty of memory and believe when I say I have a lot of stuff on the iPhone Xr

OP
tim tarras
Can't you just pop in a microsd card In your s7? use apps to sd or something?
Basemaps, OnX, and Gaia all download to to the phone memory and not the SD card. I wish they would but that's not the case.

2ski

WKR
I just got a Note10+. I haven't used it yet because I haven't had a chance to set it up, but battery life is supposed to be insane.

CTR

Lil-Rokslider
Basemaps, OnX, and Gaia all download to to the phone memory and not the SD card. I wish they would but that's not the case.
If you go to your app settings you can move it over to be stored on the SD card instead of internal storage

OP
tim tarras
If you go to your app settings you can move it over to be stored on the SD card instead of internal storage
I emailed Basemaps and below is their response....
Hi Tim,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Unfortunately we don't have a way to change the storage device on our mobile app. Offline maps will be saved to the devices storage. We are planning on adding a feature to allow you to choose where to save the map to but we haven't started work on this feature yet.

Sincerely,
BaseMap Support Team

.50 CAL

FNG
Whichever way you decide to go I'd wait two weeks (or so) Apple is expected to release new phones on 9/20 (Announcement on 9/10) making the current lineup cheaper. If battery life is your main concern I'd go with the iPhone XR (after its replacement is announced) or get the newer version of the XR.

CTR

Lil-Rokslider
I emailed Basemaps and below is their response....
Hi Tim,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Unfortunately we don't have a way to change the storage device on our mobile app. Offline maps will be saved to the devices storage. We are planning on adding a feature to allow you to choose where to save the map to but we haven't started work on this feature yet.

Sincerely,
BaseMap Support Team
Yep, scratch my comment, just downloaded the app and it is now the only app that I can't move over to my SD card, sorry for the wrong info!

Pramo

WKR
Pixel 3a, I've been CTO of three companies so I know and understand technology well. Why pay double instead get the best camera and great battery life for $400

OP
tim tarras
Thank you for the info. I ended up going with the Samsung. The big reason was reception around here. I was talking to my Chiropractor and how she loses reception with her Apple 5 minutes out of town. I then remembered my boss and another at work have no reception with their I phones while my S7 has no problem.

muddydogs

WKR
I just upgraded phones, I use Android stuff, coming from an old 32 GB phone with memory card to handle map storage to a new 128 GB internal storage I noticed that the mapping app runs way quicker pulling data from internal memory then an SD card. I noticed this with the old phone when I was messing around with Gaia, it saves to internal storage then I switched it to SD card storage and maps took for ever to load, decided it was time for a new phone with lots of memory.