Vehicle cell booster

SDHNTR

WKR
I know this has been covered before but I cannot find the thread. If someone could link it, that would be fine, or what I am looking for is a recommendation for a cell phone booster to put in my car. I don’t want anything that is difficult to install or permanent. I hate tech installation stuff. Is there an idiot version?

Darryle

WKR
This one

I use a Weboost and quite like it. Very easy to install and seems to give me an extra bar or two. Won’t help if there is no service at all.

Raider4044

Lil-Rokslider
Weboost reach. I have the OTR with the big pear burner antenna, but they make models with smaller magnetic antennas. I’m in west Texas and it’s a gamechanger for me. You see tons of them on oilfield pickups around here.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Ok, thanks all. So Weboost makes a bunch of models and antenna options. Which one do I want? Toyota 4Runner, if it matters. Does a lot of off road, and remote travel but also needs to go into a parking garage regularly too.

Weboost reach. I have the OTR with the big pear burner antenna, but they make models with smaller magnetic antennas. I’m in west Texas and it’s a gamechanger for me. You see tons of them on oilfield pickups around here.
Exactly what's made me think I want one!

Darryle

WKR
I have the OTR drive version, it comes with antenna bracket and spring. I use it with the short section of rod and spring mounted to the bed corner, barely above the cab.

I also have the RV version for the 5th wheel, I have been extremely happy with reception with both.

IMG_9005.jpeg

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Is that antennae flexible? Like if you whacked it on an overhanging branch? Can you fold it down when not in use?

Raider4044

Lil-Rokslider
Is that antennae flexible? Like if you whacked it on an overhanging branch? Can you fold it down when not in use?

It’s mounted on a spring so it can flex. I haven’t had an issue hitting trees. The OTR comes with a fixed mount, but I believe they make an overland model that comes with a folding mount. I think there’s a few companies that make aftermarket mounts as well.

8332b79065fee514b795d052d3fba1c5.jpg

I've seen multiple OTR Drive antennas break just from doing 80 on the interstate. We mostly use the small antennas. Make sure you research antenna placement. My newest work truck gets crap signal now because of how they installed the outside antenna.

I do have a large antenna for days like today when the small antenna won't cut it. I hook it up while I'm sitting here so I can find the end of the internet again.

wyosteve

WKR
The standard DriveReach comes with a fairly short antenna. About 4 inches or so and is magnetic. For a few bucks more, they offer a 12 inch magnetic. For me the 12 in. is perfect because I can move it from vehicle to vehicle.

Meshnasty

Lil-Rokslider
We used the weboost without issues, but always had them off a tool box or in the bed behind the cab so they were protected. If you have a slip tank/tool box that is steel you can rig up a magnet connection so you can move it around if you want. We did that so we could take them off and hide them if we had to go into town or park at the airport.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Ideally a QD mount antennae that is flexible would be ideal. They got anything like that? I want to mount it on my roof rack.

I've been looking at the weBoost too but I was worried it wouldn't help enough to make it worth it. Do you guys typically see pretty good results, or is it kind of hot or miss?

I've been looking at the weBoost too but I was worried it wouldn't help enough to make it worth it. Do you guys typically see pretty good results, or is it kind of hot or miss?
I was on a location with really bad service. Randomly you could receive a text message and that was it. I got the big antenna for the WeBoost and I was actually able to snag a 3rd season mule deer tag off the reissue list on that same location. They definitely help.

Raider4044

Lil-Rokslider

I pretty consistently gain two bars. I very rarely drop a phone call in places where I had little to no service before.

CCooper

WKR
Weboost Drive is what we have installed in all of our company vehicles and they work pretty well, however they are not magic as others have mentioned. Make sure the antenna is above the roofline for best results- we have tried multiple configurations. Our installer will couple them with a ram cradle, vehicle specific cradle mount, and a hard-wired charger which makes a pretty unobtrusive/ clean/useful package.