New Cot I tried this fall

Ray

WKR
primitive, have you looked at the therma-rest luxuryLite cot? After reading some of Larry Bartlets comments on his, I went looking for one and found them at a decent sale price at Sierra Outdoors. They have a way of setting them up with fewer cross pieces at each end that keep the weight below the 2 lbs 12 oz for the regular size. They do keep you close to the ground and make a huge amount of squeeking when getting in and out, but for a back problem they are the bomb.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
yes, primitive, as pointed out on the thread and you, there are much lighter cots than this one and like most lightweight gear- about 3x the money. I'd only suggest this cot for road camping, horse camping and at 89 bucks, it's a good value. But not for backpacking.

primitive

FNG
Robby the cot you demonstrated looks way more comfortable than the helinox or thermal rest ones. The price is right too!

cowboy300

WKR
We use a very similar cot from Sportsmans Warehouse that runs about $50. Very worth it when horse packing and easy to pack because they break down to a little smaller than the size of your average folding camp chair.

greentimber

Lil-Rokslider
I've used one of these (may be a different brand) for three years now and it is soooo much better than sleeping on the ground. That said, I've been in a base camp of one form or another. I might pack it in a mile or two, but not much further and not if it was a rough hike in. When I have the chance, I use it, though. I actually bought it so I could have a cot in my 4-man Kifaru. My larger outfitters cot from Cabelas is way too big for the 4-man.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Yes greentimber, for the money, way better than the ground. If I wasn't using horses, I'd probably never backpack it though. There are lighter options for that, but so much more money.

Wojo14

WKR
I know I am late to this thread, but I am looking for a possible cot to use in my floorless shelter.
So, What is a good liteweither backpacking cot?
Quiet, easy to set up, approx 3 pounds?
~Wojo