New guy from Utah

Hello, I’m a new member from the Ogden area of Utah. I was at a gun range today and one of the gentlemen at the range recommended this forum to me. I’m 19 years old and have always been an avid gun enthusiast, and I’ve always wanted to go hunting, but don’t have anyone in my life who I can go with to show me the ropes. This gentleman I met mentioned that there are people on this forum willing to teach and take newer guys with them, and I was wondering where I would go on this forum to find that. I apologize if this is the wrong category for this post, still learning how to navigate the forum

OP
C
Did you put in to draw any big game tags?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I did not. I’m still working on getting gear at the moment. I’m a complete novice when it comes to hunting, and don’t know the first thing about it other than I need to get a hunters safety permit to do anything. I know a fair amount about firearms, but I know very little about hunting

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can buy a spike elk tag in June but you'll need your hunter safety card. I'd focus on getting the class finished up as soon as possible.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is a lot of places to hunt spike elk in Utah.

What do you have for a vehicle?
Any camping gear at all?

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

OP
C
There is a lot of places to hunt spike elk in Utah.

What do you have for a vehicle?
Any camping gear at all?

I have a Ram 1500, not 4WD unfortunately but I got a really good deal on it. I have some basic camping gear. I have a good backpacking tent, sleeping bag, backpack, and most of the camping basics. No hunting gear though

Sled

WKR
Get hunters safety done but there are loopholes Utah introduced to where you can go with a licensed hunter. Between here and the Utah wildlife network you should be able to find some good help.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a Ram 1500, not 4WD unfortunately but I got a really good deal on it. I have some basic camping gear. I have a good backpacking tent, sleeping bag, backpack, and most of the camping basics. No hunting gear though
You can over think it for sure(I do it every year lol). I have piles of nice stuff but all that stuff isn't essential to get out and find opportunities to kill what I'm hunting for.

A pair of good fitting boots, two pairs of nice wool socks, and some mid grade binoculars are what I recommend you start with.

CorbLand

WKR
If you do the spike hunt and the cache is where you go, shoot me a PM. There’s a lot places you can go that don’t require 4WD.

I did not. I’m still working on getting gear at the moment. I’m a complete novice when it comes to hunting, and don’t know the first thing about it other than I need to get a hunters safety permit to do anything. I know a fair amount about firearms, but I know very little about hunting
Are you a church member? That could be a great way to meet up with other folks who might be willing to help you get started.

WBrim

WKR
Utah has not only the spine elk OTC, but also branch antler bull (in open units) this year they went to unlimited rifle tags for second half of general rifle season. They’ve always been uncapped for archery as well.
Get that hunters Ed done and start figuring out where you want to go. If anyone is willing to provide tips and info, take them up on that. That can make a huge difference (like CorbLand offered) very generous of him.

Hello, I’m a new member from the Ogden area of Utah. I was at a gun range today and one of the gentlemen at the range recommended this forum to me. I’m 19 years old and have always been an avid gun enthusiast, and I’ve always wanted to go hunting, but don’t have anyone in my life who I can go with to show me the ropes. This gentleman I met mentioned that there are people on this forum willing to teach and take newer guys with them, and I was wondering where I would go on this forum to find that. I apologize if this is the wrong category for this post, still learning how to navigate the forum
Welcome! I'm in Southern Utah. If you have any questions, feel free to send a dm.

wmr89

Lil-Rokslider
Even though you missed this year's draw, if you can get your Hunter's Ed done quickly then you should be able to put in for big game points between June 7 and June 22. That way you will be better set up to draw a deer tag next year. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about how to do that.

spectrum

Lil-Rokslider
I put in for the Utah draw for Elk but was unsuccessful. I'm intrigued by these OTC branched antler tags in open units. Are these hard to hunt units with very little elk residing in little pockets here and there? I don't mind this type of hunt as I've done unit 23 elk in New Mexico and if anyone else here has been on that hunt they know how tough it is. I'm interested in doing the Archery hunt in Utah. Any advice? Can swap info for Arizona deer, elk, javelina, antelope, bears in the pears.