New Hornady bullet

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
No one using Ballistic Tips these days? The front end explodes but the solid base blasts through. V-Max were cool but I found they didn't perform as well as the ballistic tips on coyotes.
I agree with you. Ballistic tips are a far superior bullet over the vmax.

Riflman

FNG
I agree with you. Ballistic tips are a far superior bullet over the vmax.
I was using the old design, the Nosler Solid Base™ bullets from the late 80's, that are identical other than the polymer tip they added on the rebrand to Ballistic Tip. I was shooting a wildcat my friend developed called the 257 Dynamo Mag and we were getting 3400 fps out of a 20" barrel using the 100 grain solid base and deer would look like they fell into a hole, or sometime flip right over if shot in the chest. Devastating. When the 6mm balliistic tip came out in 55 grains at over 4000 FPS in the 6mm/243s I jumped into 6mm and I literally slaughtered hundreds of coyotes out at insane ranges. It is a laser beam. Lol I tried vmax in the 204 ruger and it would not put them down reliably. Nosler BT was better, but got rid of the 204 and stuck to 6mm.

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
I was using the old design, the Nosler Solid Base™ bullets from the late 80's, that are identical other than the polymer tip they added on the rebrand to Ballistic Tip. I was shooting a wildcat my friend developed called the 257 Dynamo Mag and we were getting 3400 fps out of a 20" barrel using the 100 grain solid base and deer would look like they fell into a hole, or sometime flip right over if shot in the chest. Devastating. When the 6mm balliistic tip came out in 55 grains at over 4000 FPS in the 6mm/243s I jumped into 6mm and I literally slaughtered hundreds of coyotes out at insane ranges. It is a laser beam. Lol I tried vmax in the 204 ruger and it would not put them down reliably. Nosler BT was better, but got rid of the 204 and stuck to 6mm.
I've seen more runners from vmax's than any other bullet. But you get crucified by the vmax cult if you say anything.

Jamescb77

FNG
Have a 100 of these waiting for my Grendel. I think it will be a great match for the velocity

Reactions: Duh
OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
I just got some too. Loaded them up for the 22-250 the other night and they’re long. That’s next to a 53grain vmax for comparison

Attachments

• IMG_7146.jpeg
    IMG_7146.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 30
I just got some too. Loaded them up for the 22-250 the other night and they’re long. That’s next to a 53grain vmax for comparison
If I remember correctly you have a Tikka 22-250 with a 1-8 twist? How fast are you shooting the 53’s from it?

It’ll be interesting to see how the 62’s do for you. I’m thinking of loading some up for the 22 Creed and seeing how they do.

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
If I remember correctly you have a Tikka 22-250 with a 1-8 twist? How fast are you shooting the 53’s from it?

It’ll be interesting to see how the 62’s do for you. I’m thinking of loading some up for the 22 Creed and seeing how they do.
53’s are maxed out at 3445fps with Varget. Start getting pressure signs if I load any more powder. Tikka barrel is a little slow.

I’d be happy to get somewhere in the ballpark of 3,350fps with the 62s.

53’s are maxed out at 3445fps with Varget. Start getting pressure signs if I load any more powder. Tikka barrel is a little slow.

I’d be happy to get somewhere in the ballpark of 3,350fps with the 62s.
I ran some numbers the other day looking at the 53 Vmax and the 62 Vt in a 22 creed. It looked like they were close to the same drop/drift with a 400 fps difference. If you can shoot them @3350 fps it seems like a solid improvement over the 53's for you.