New Hunter in Idaho

MrWolf

FNG
I am the first hunter I know of in my family, we all fish but that's it. I have always loved outdoors and hunting has always been something I've wanted to do and at 27 I'm starting to finally hit it hard and learn my way through it. That being said, I have no generations of knowledge to pull from nor did I grow up doing it so I'm cultivating what I can from online and putting it to the field as best I can. I spent two weekends ago scouting and not only did everything i planned not pan out once i got to the field but the areas I thought would be great turned out to not be something i could even climb. I am going hunting this weekend in 43 where I scouted as I did see some trails but am concerned that the areas I saw will be pressured out as they are close to the road. My family spent the weekend in GrandJean and man did I see some good country on the way in so I'm looking at that too possibly.

I am looking for tips on where to look or really just any info I can get about hunting here. I am backpacking in wherever I go and will be doing archery and rifle. I have read some books and listened to hours of podcast but would like to be able to bounce any questions I get off of people.

If you want to PM me so you don't give your secrets away to the internet the great with me. I'm hunting solo so no one else will know hahaha

87TT

WKR
Howdy. Best advice I can give is, is slow down and be patient. As you move, stop and look behind you. Don't get discouraged. It may take a few seasons and close calls before you connect. Learn from every encounter. Watch the game as much as you can to learn how they move. Don't expect to see a whole animal. Might only see an ear or tail flick.

You sound so much like me. 😀 I will be hunting Idaho too for Mule deer and it is my first experience with western hunting. I do have a background of whitetail hunting in Virginia. I know what you mean about things looking different in real life compared to satellite images. I can't give much advice but my goal is to remind myself every day that I'm here to learn and just enjoy the outdoors. Best of luck to you.

elkguide

WKR
Welcome to the best source of hunting info on the web. The combination and variety of knowledge here will astound you. Keep reading here and asking questions. Even with all of the reading you can do, it will be a lot different once you put boots on the ground.

Mostly just have fun. Enjoy this amazing world we live in.
Idaho is a great state to experience.

See you there this fall maybe!

Nickb_00

Lil-Rokslider
Best advice is Glass Glass Glass! Let your eyes do the work! Get to high points where you can see and spend the morning hours looking for travel routes, bedding areas, feeding areas etc. It will be tough in the beginning especially if you're just starting out and may not have a spotting scope or a high power pair of binoculars. I started out 25 years ago with a pair of 8x42s and still find my self reaching for those for the best field of view and of course the lightness, but always have my spotter as well. Remember the more comfortable you can stay in the field the longer you can stay. Take your time and work slowly! Remember it's not the kill but the experience! I just spent 10 days chasing muleys in eastern Utah's back country and even though I didn't connect, I still saw lots of elk and bucks! It's the close calls that keep you headed up the mountain!

OP
MrWolf

MrWolf

FNG
Howdy. Best advice I can give is, is slow down and be patient. As you move, stop and look behind you. Don't get discouraged. It may take a few seasons and close calls before you connect. Learn from every encounter. Watch the game as much as you can to learn how they move. Don't expect to see a whole animal. Might only see an ear or tail flick.

This is the hardest part for me, I am a doer by nature so waiting is hard for me. I want to put in effort to succeed and this is a great reminder that sometimes just being patient is the most import thing.

Best advice is Glass Glass Glass! Let your eyes do the work! Get to high points where you can see and spend the morning hours looking for travel routes, bedding areas, feeding areas etc. It will be tough in the beginning especially if you're just starting out and may not have a spotting scope or a high power pair of binoculars. I started out 25 years ago with a pair of 8x42s and still find my self reaching for those for the best field of view and of course the lightness, but always have my spotter as well. Remember the more comfortable you can stay in the field the longer you can stay. Take your time and work slowly! Remember it's not the kill but the experience! I just spent 10 days chasing muleys in eastern Utah's back country and even though I didn't connect, I still saw lots of elk and bucks! It's the close calls that keep you headed up the mountain!

This is one thing I am constantly hearing, the hard part is the area I scouted is either steep face or heavy timber so trying to find that good glass spot is difficult. I have a pair of 10x42s which worked great but after a few hundred yards I was really straining to tell of that was dirt and bushes or a deer haha
The initial investment for gear killed me so I will be waiting a long while for a spotting scope but one day I hope. I would love to be successful as I really am in it for the meat, but I can never complain about being in the backcountry. Feels like where I belong!

OP
MrWolf

MrWolf

FNG
You sound so much like me. 😀 I will be hunting Idaho too for Mule deer and it is my first experience with western hunting. I do have a background of whitetail hunting in Virginia. I know what you mean about things looking different in real life compared to satellite images. I can't give much advice but my goal is to remind myself every day that I'm here to learn and just enjoy the outdoors. Best of luck to you.

Awesome to know I'm not alone! I have met a few tight lipped people that are multi generational hunters here or people that never hunt, felt a bit alone haha

We should for sure stay in touch man! We can bounce what we learned off each other all season.

OP
MrWolf

MrWolf

FNG
Welcome to the best source of hunting info on the web. The combination and variety of knowledge here will astound you. Keep reading here and asking questions. Even with all of the reading you can do, it will be a lot different once you put boots on the ground.

Mostly just have fun. Enjoy this amazing world we live in.
Idaho is a great state to experience.

See you there this fall maybe!

That's very true, being a hands on learned I felt like I learned more in my two days out then i did in all the preplanning. Although it was probably more to do with putting all that knowledge into practice.

Hopefully! I'd love to run into some other hunters in the field so I can ask questions.

GregB

WKR
I'm in Meridian, hoping to move to the outskirts next year if finances permit.
Depending on what you hunt dates are might be able to work something out to where you could borrow a tripod and spotter. It’s not the greatest but it’s a spotter. My buddy kills a big buck every year and he just takes 10x42s

OP
MrWolf

MrWolf

FNG
A lot of good information here. The only thing I would add is realize that every single person who is successful at this has many many many scouting trips exactly how the one you just described went. Even with experience. I am the only serious hunter in my family and I get that the struggle is real when you are learning on your own. I don't have a group of guys to go with either because all my friends that hunt, hunt with their families.

I am hunting a new unit this year and have gone scouting at least ten times if not more and only a few of those trips were good. Most of them I couldn't get to where I wanted because of cliffs, it was thicker than it looked on google earth, Or there were just no deer in great looking country. So after all that what I am getting at is keep trying and putting in the time just like the rest of us and you will get the knowledge you want. There is no quick way to success unless you get lucky or pay a guide. Time and effort in the field is the recipe.

Thank you for the encouragement, I suppose I will be coming back this weekend with meat and questions or just questions!

Depending on what you hunt dates are might be able to work something out to where you could borrow a tripod and spotter. It’s not the greatest but it’s a spotter. My buddy kills a big buck every year and he just takes 10x42s
I might take you up on that sometime soon! I'll try a few more trips with my binos for now but once rifle comes around that may be very helpful.
Not sure what your schedule looks like this year but pm me. Im from just down the road in mnt home.
Sounds good, I just need to reach the post count to do that first haha!

I was in the same boat as you 5 years ago. The best advice I can give you is
1. Just get out there and hike, hike, hike onx, google earth, avenza, etc. are great starting points, but it never looks the same once your out in the woods

2. buy the best glass you can afford and use em til you go cross eyed

3. don't hike 15 miles in just to pass 14 miles of excellent country, hunt on your way in and hunt on your way out

4. in 43, get away from the dam dirt bikes

5. use all the pressure in 43 to your advantage

6. Be patient and take a moment to enjoy the country your in

7. Make sure to not miss out on the first hour of day light and the last hour of day light

8. Talk to friends or biologists in the area you hunt, explain to them your plan, while avoiding asking them where all the deer are.

Number 3 on egrady's list is one of my biggest suggestions. Although you may be in 5 miles deep, doesn't always mean that there will be game hiding behind every tree. Some of the best hunting is in the urban interface, just above private ground.

OP
MrWolf

MrWolf

FNG
This is such good advice. I found so many more tracks 1.5 miles in then I did 6 miles in so that's where I'm headed this weekend! Is there any tips for that country? Should I be high or in the valleys?

OP
MrWolf

MrWolf

FNG
Also, I should be on channel 6 news. They interviewed me at the new archery range!

OP
MrWolf

MrWolf

FNG
I am new to western hunting as well. Grew up in Michigan hunting whitetail from a tree stand. We are right near you in Star, Idaho!
Nice! I really like Star.
We should all get a beer or something sometime soon.