New hunters. Cheap vs expensive? What do I actually need and what are realistic expectations?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I truly don’t think money holds back that much hunting. A few years ago I got to know a new hunter halfway across the country from a non-traditional hunting background. They did not have a ton of disposal income but I offered if they flew to meet me I would lend all the gear they needed for the hunt and take them to our usual public land spots. Without hesitation they bought a cheap flight and a deer tag. Long story short they flew out, killed a great first buck and did the whole trip for around $500 total. In the following years they prioritized budgeting to repeat that trip and made it happen while they accumulated, borrowed and were given hand me down gear. Ultimately they wanted to learn to hunt and their drive eventually found them people that could help them out. I have offered similar hunts to other people and few have ever followed through.

As far as budget guns go there are now so many great budget rifles between $400-$800. Cheap hunting clothes are now mostly synthetic and budget optics are better than they have ever been. I feel like access is the biggest barrier to entry with hunting.
That’s what I love about so many in the hunting community!

The most basic Savage Axis I have shot is almost always a 1 moa gun or better. Optics are almost always the weak link a system for long range.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Can we stop with touting Christensen rifles as “top tier fit and finish” to newer shooters and hunters please. It’s not a great starting point for a delivery system at all if you plan on really using your equipment daily.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can we stop with touting Christensen rifles as “top tier fit and finish” to newer shooters and hunters please. It’s not a great starting point for a delivery system at all if you plan on really using your equipment daily.
Very very few are using this piece of equipment daily.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I own a Christensen Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC. It is very accurate and has functioned flawlessly. Is it any better than my Browning HCS or Tikka T3 SL? No, but mine is not a bad seed. It is not an entry level rifle nor would I recommend for a new hunter but there are a lot of high end and expensive rifles that many have problems with. To each his own.

My first rifle was a ruger m77 in 308 think it was 500$ Leupold vx1 $150 I saved for months to acquire this I was 20 years old.

I think if your buddy could budget for it he should certainly be able to afford something like this.

Or get a side job. I’ve been Shovling roofs for side money. If there is a will there’s a way.

He just has to want it bad enough

Get a cheap rifle and whatever glass you can afford(I hunt with a 200$ leupold). jb weld bed the action g2g
if you can swing it get a stainless rifle drives up the cost but I think its worth it. if not rattle can the rifle, cheap rifles bluing dont seem to last and rust

fshaw

WKR
Lots of good deals to be had on the for sale forums here and on other hunting sites. Just as a new hunter’s first car likely wasn’t a brand new luxury model, his first hunting rig doesn’t have to be either. Entry level Savages and Rugers have taken a lot of game.

Last edited: