New Jacks R Better quilt

wyodog

FNG
I received a new quilt from Jacks R Better today. I'm impressed how quickly they got it to me. It only took 5 days and that included the labor day weekend. I ordered the Mt Rogers model which is rated for 20 deg. My first impression is that the quilt seems to be exactly what I was hoping for. I need to point out that I am a ground sleeper and not a hammock user. I will be using the quilt on a 10 day backpacking hunt starting this Friday. By the end of the hunt I should have a good idea of the performance. I'll update this thread when I get back.

rfc86

FNG
Cool. Never heard of Jacks R Better before but just checked out their site. What was the reason you decided to choose Jacks R Better over some of the other brands of quilts? Thanks.

OP
wyodog

wyodog

FNG
Cool. Never heard of Jacks R Better before but just checked out their site. What was the reason you decided to choose Jacks R Better over some of the other brands of quilts? Thanks.

Mostly because I believed they had a good product after talking to both owners who happen to be named Jack. They were concerned about selling me a product that would work for me not just something that everyone else wanted. Also they were able meet my schedule and deliver a quilt me before my trip.

Last edited:
My 10* is a JRB. I only use it on really cold hunts, but I've really liked it. Really well made, I have no worries about durability with it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
wyodog

wyodog

FNG
Well I'm back from my deer hunt and I had an opportunity to use it in different weather conditions and temperatures. Over the trip I slept in balmy warm, cool windy nights and also snowy and rainy weather. Pretty typical for Sept in the Wyoming high country. Keep I'm mind that have not used any other quilt brands so my review is only based my experience with the Jacks R Better Quilt. Prior to buying a quilt I used a sleeping bag completely unzipped and layer over me like a quilt. I did this to help determine weather or not I would like using a quilt instead of a sleeping bag. My original reason was because I wanted the weight savings that can be gained using a quilt. Turns out I would chose a quilt over a sleeping bag if they weighed the same because I enjoy being able to control my sleep temp and I move a lot when I sleep and for this reason I find sleeping bags too confining.

As I mentioned above I chose the JRB quilt because I had a short time line before my trip and they could meet my time line. Also talking to the owners gave a level of comfort that they could provide a good product. The quilt comes with a hook and system and a drown string that when used creates a foot box at the bottom of the quilt. I chose to use it this way. The rest of the quilt I just put over me like a blanket most of the trip. When the temps dropped I actually put the foot of my sleeping pad inside of the foot box. When it got really cold and windy I could feel drafts so I tucked the quilt sides under the sleeping pad and used the draw string on the head end to secure the undo the pad by my head and also to close up the bag to hold in some heat. This worked quite well and kept me toasty. The coldest night temps dropped to the 20s and it snowed. I had a lot of condensate build up in my tent because my vent wasn't propped open, I still stayed warm even though the surface of the quilt got damp from condensation. The bag was nice and dry by the next night. I also need to point out that I didn't ever wear a jacket to sleep in. Mostly just my skivvies until it got cold then I wore my base layer except for one night when I was just too tired to take my cloths off.

If there was any thing I would change it would be to add a loop on each side to allow for a cord or strap to tie under the sleep pad in the center. But this is a small thing to me because most of the time I prefer to not tuck it in. Over all I am very happy with my JRB quilt.