Review of Zen bivy lite

geriggs

WKR
So just got done with a 5 day hunt in Wyoming. Weather was pretty mild. Lowest it got down to was 20s. I was quite warm in the zen bivy light 10 deg. I had a pair of goose feet that I had to kick off almost nights because my feet were too warm. The comfort of this system is vying anything I have ever run. I had a WM terra lite and I loved that bag but the convenience of rarely if ever having to adjust the pillow or never having a draft in a quilt setup was great. I think I have found my permanent system. I also ram the new memo tensor extreme and it was plenty warm. No cold spots but again didn’t really test it. Overall it was a great system and I don’t feel I will ever need to change it. One side note. A couple times the bottom of bag was frozen to sawtooth from condensation freezing…..I didn’t feel a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanC

WKR
I finally was able to use mine for 7 days in CO. Temps were pretty mild, lows were in the 30s. I have the 25 degree lite bed and like you, I think I have found the ultimate sleep system. I use it with my S2S Ether Lite XT pad, no problem getting the sheet over the Large pad. All the reviews say how comfortable and soft the material is and they were spot on.....very happy with it and looking forward to spending more nights in it soon.

Lando

WKR
Good to know. I've only got a few nights in mine so far and none of them have been very cold.

mx1alex

FNG
I finally was able to use mine for 7 days in CO. Temps were pretty mild, lows were in the 30s. I have the 25 degree lite bed and like you, I think I have found the ultimate sleep system. I use it with my S2S Ether Lite XT pad, no problem getting the sheet over the Large pad. All the reviews say how comfortable and soft the material is and they were spot on.....very happy with it and looking forward to spending more nights in it soon.

What size etherlite pad did you use? And just curious, what made you go with the S2S pad and not the zenbivy pad?

I used an etherlite pad with a s2s topquilt for the first time a few weeks ago. Got to down to upper 20s. Topquilt did great but I definitely felt cold from the ground so I'm looking into getting a warmer pad. Maybe the etherlight extreme or zenbivy pads.

RyanC

WKR
What size etherlite pad did you use? And just curious, what made you go with the S2S pad and not the zenbivy pad?

I used an etherlite pad with a s2s topquilt for the first time a few weeks ago. Got to down to upper 20s. Topquilt did great but I definitely felt cold from the ground so I'm looking into getting a warmer pad. Maybe the etherlight extreme or zenbivy pads.
I have the Large (Tapered not Rectangular) S2S Ether Lite XT pad. I already had that pad before purchasing the Zenbivy bed. I've never seen or tried the Zenbivy pad but I can say that the Ether Lite XT is a very comfortable pad. Much better than the Thermarest Neoair I had prior.

So just got done with a 5 day hunt in Wyoming. Weather was pretty mild. Lowest it got down to was 20s. I was quite warm in the zen bivy light 10 deg. I had a pair of goose feet that I had to kick off almost nights because my feet were too warm. The comfort of this system is vying anything I have ever run. I had a WM terra lite and I loved that bag but the convenience of rarely if ever having to adjust the pillow or never having a draft in a quilt setup was great. I think I have found my permanent system. I also ram the new memo tensor extreme and it was plenty warm. No cold spots but again didn’t really test it. Overall it was a great system and I don’t feel I will ever need to change it. One side note. A couple times the bottom of bag was frozen to sawtooth from condensation freezing…..I didn’t feel a thing.

So you used this as a standalone without a tent? Just the pad and the bivy?

BBob

WKR
So you used this as a standalone without a tent? Just the pad and the bivy?
One side note. A couple times the bottom of bag was frozen to sawtooth from condensation freezing…..
He used a Kifaru Sawtooth.

I think the use of “bivy” in the name is a bit of a misnomer since the Zenbivy isn’t really a traditional bivy at all. A traditional bivy gives some sort of full coverage over yourself. The Zenbivy is just a partial coverage bed system.

He used a Kifaru Sawtooth.

I think the use of “bivy” in the name is a bit of a misnomer since the Zenbivy isn’t really a traditional bivy at all. A traditional bivy gives some sort of full coverage over yourself.

Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah i was a bit confused by the name.

Radford

FNG
Thanks for the review. I’ve been thinking about this setup or just adding a new bag to my current setup.

OP
G

geriggs

WKR
You are welcome. And yes I was using a sawtooth with a tarp for a floor

cjdewese

WKR
I got mine about a month ago and love it so far. I have the 25 degree bag and our temps just dropped for the 1st time this year and am looking forward to trying it out in colder weather. From a comfort perspective I think it would be hard to beat though.

6.5x284

WKR
Never heard of these. Heavy setup, but seems like a great sleep on easy trips! May need to try it for shorter 3-5 day trips. I toss and turn a lot and hate the draft of a quilt and the tightness of a mummy! This is similiar to some Sierra designs bed with basically the sheet part built in but this uses good down. Interesting. On my radar now!

I wish I'd got one of these right from the start to try rather than piecing together something similar like I have.

Seeknelk

WKR
Yes. Absolutely love mine and it's worth a few more oz over an ultralight setup to sleep and actually recover well,TO ME. Used with S to S ether light extreme rectangular pad and with the thermarest neoair. Feels like a real dang bed. Plan to try it out in more cold stuff on a fishing trip or two this winter for sure.

6.5x284

WKR
I like the concept. I think I'll try their Zenbivy Lite 10 quilt with the fast sheet (uninsulated hood) instead of the Lite 10 sheet. I think that'll be the best of both worlds for my early fall trips. I can pickup the Lite 10 sheet down the road if I use it with a hot tent later in winter this season.

Dobermann

WKR
I was an 'early adopter' of half-bags back in the mid-90s, as a way to cut weight (was doing solo peak-bagging).

The one I had was designed to slip in one of the old-school thin Thermarests. It worked well down to moderately cold temps, but didn't have anywhere near the flexibility of a Zenbivy - and those thin T-rests don't get any more comfortable as you get older.

The Zenbivy is incredible for the warmth if fully closed, the ability to side sleep, and the use of a thicker sleeping pad.

Just one of many recommendations I've seen here (this one via @Formidilosus) that has been a home run.