New Kahles 328i FOV

Xycod

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe the fact the patent is running out or isn’t valid in some brands is why they’re getting a leg up on the competition with the new wide angle Kahles. I would think swaro will incorporate the same eyepiece in their z8’s. I believe they’re already doing an lpvo in a swaro and a Kahles to go along with the new 328.

And yeah the field stop ring just ruins what should otherwise be a great optic imo, personally would not pay big coin for a straw like fov no matter how good the glass is.

Imo it’s always been one of their, the Europeans, big advantages as scopes go optically, that they’ve always had over the Japan and America scopes.

Steiner and Burris 30 and 34mm tubes both along with the vortex razer gen ii/iii’s mostly have the big 24 degree fov’s, even the pst gen 2 if I’m not mistaken. So looks like it’s all over the place as to who is doing what in regards to the patent.

JakeM51

FNG
I don't want to beat a dead horse but government workers do things all the time that are outside the scope of the law. Hence why we have courts to correct them. Otherwise why would the patent have been struck down in the European court he linked?

Some companies do that. I believe a few Vortex/NF scopes are above the 22 degree threshold but they have enough money to go toe-to-toe with Swarovski and beat their ass in US courts so Swarovski doesn't bother them. I think an example of this is the Vortex Razor G3 6-36x56.

I think ZCO got around the patent by using a 36mm tube.
Correct, but they still did the field stop. Probably so they don't run into trouble with swaro as some of the key people at ZCO used to work for Kahles.
The FOV on ZCO is slightly worse than their spec sheet numbers.

Thank god you have a brain lol. There is a reason why you can appeal anything in court even if you were convicted in a trial by jury.

JakeM51

FNG
Maybe the fact the patent is running out or isn’t valid in some brands is why they’re getting a leg up on the competition with the new wide angle Kahles. I would think swaro will incorporate the same eyepiece in their z8’s. I believe they’re already doing an lpvo in a swaro and a Kahles to go along with the new 328.

And yeah the field stop ring just ruins what should otherwise be a great optic imo, personally would not pay big coin for a straw like fov no matter how good the glass is.

Imo it’s always been one of their, the Europeans, big advantages as scopes go optically, that they’ve always had over the Japan and America scopes.

Steiner and Burris 30 and 34mm tubes both along with the vortex razer gen ii/iii’s mostly have the big 24 degree fov’s, even the pst gen 2 if I’m not mistaken. So looks like it’s all over the place as to who is doing what in regards to the patent.
The Japanese OEM scopes just ignore it, while Euro scopes that are sent to the US have the field stops.
They don't have the patent in Japan, but I think their patent might still mess with Leupold because other than the glass Leupold is made in the USA. Yes the patent is all over the place because it's not well defined and it's stupid.

@Article 4 Rifleworks Thinks he is helping Kahles with the patent but it is the opposite.
For whatever reason Swaro won't let Kahles actually have their true FOV in the k525i and 318i.
If Swaro would let them take out the field stops in the US models they would sell a ton more scopes.
The FOV being so bad is why they have to come out with the DLR 525i, and it's why people pass up on the 318i and get other scopes.

And before you jump in to say look at the new 328i for FOV, it's a 36mm tube to get around the patent.

Last edited:

Xycod

Lil-Rokslider
It’s the very reason I wouldn’t own the 3-18 or 525i, especially at the price they’re asking.
Yeah I’m done with the light at the end of a tunnel view.

Attachments

• IMG_9367.jpeg
    IMG_9367.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9369.jpeg
    IMG_9369.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 8
OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
Follow up. Pricing update:

This might be a bridge too far for a while, prices do come down but when I have excellent K624s already in service on multiple rifles, hesitate to spend 5k + just to "see how it makes much difference it makes" on rifles that already shoot well at any distance I might want.

Said I wanted to do a side by side....sure at this point if Kahles is willing to send me one to test. If not, perhaps the local bank will allow me an involuntary withdrawal to move forward (kidding of course)

Continue to love the brand, performance etc...but until that bigfoot, riding a unicorn, shows up and drops the pot of gold that the leprechaun gave him on my front porch....may have to postpone for a bit.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 7.07.37 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 7.07.37 AM.png
    479.7 KB · Views: 21

28bang

WKR
Follow up. Pricing update:

This might be a bridge too far for a while, prices do come down but when I have excellent K624s already in service on multiple rifles, hesitate to spend 5k + just to "see how it makes much difference it makes" on rifles that already shoot well at any distance I might want.

Said I wanted to do a side by side....sure at this point if Kahles is willing to send me one to test. If not, perhaps the local bank will allow me an involuntary withdrawal to move forward (kidding of course)

Continue to love the brand, performance etc...but until that bigfoot, riding a unicorn, shows up and drops the pot of gold that the leprechaun gave him on my front porch....may have to postpone for a bit.

Eurooptic has it listed at $4,299

28bang

WKR
IMG_3037.jpeg

Off hand with an iPhone. Images looks much better obviously. So far, it’s very nice. This is at 28x. The dead tree is 100yds

Last edited: