New Kifaru wood stove????

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Guys,

I'll talk with Patrick first thing in the morning and see if he'll get on Rokslide and post up the data.

Patrick needed to get the patent going on this before we let the cat out of the bag, so that was some of the reason for the delay.

Shrek

WKR
Aron , do you have the prices set yet ? I'm pretty much guzzling the Kifaru coolaid these days and wondering how much I need to stash back.

OP
F
Watch out Dave. I bought my first Kifaru pack in 2008, and now have 4 counting the 1 I just ordered. I'm pretty sure gear addiction is a legit medical condition and everyone on Rokslide is inflicted with it.

Haha I got on the kifaru cool aid train along time ago. And not looking like I will ever make it off. Haha very addicting gear. Awesome stuff!
Love the old stoves! Can't imagine what these will be like!!

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
From Patrick Smith (owner of Kifaru International)

I’ve been striving to create lighter, better stoves for at least three years. I co-designed the Ed T stove, getting my feet wet on what is now the commonplace “cylinder” stove approach. I held out for a truly flat cooking surface; Ed was ready to go to market with the design we had at that time, and so that’s what he did. I kept working on cylinder versions that were true “flat tops”. Meanwhile I developed extremely lightweight box stoves as well. All these prototypes were crafted of Titanium. I concluded that the box stoves just had too many parts—complicated to build and risky as regards lost parts. And I concluded that even though I could make horizontal cylinder stoves with admirable cooking surfaces it was often possible to “sag” the top with enough pot weight and a very hot fire. Still not good enough. I insist on BOTH warming heat and real cooking ability with my stoves. So I went an entirely new direction. You’ll see the images as soon as I can build the final versions…in a few days. (I think at some point I’ll also attempt to show images of the extensive assortment of “in between” stoves I’ve built the last few years. There is quite a pile of them.) Like all things Kifaru the final versions are released only after immense testing and rejection.

So. I finally hit on a “cylinder” design that does what I want. The cylinder is vertical, not horizontal. It is not round, it is elongated…for perfect feeding and cooking. The sidewall rolls up with the stovepipe. There are very, very, few loose “parts”. The stovepipe and stove assemble in a breakthrough way that we are patenting. The stoves are the lightest ever, especially for their combustion chamber cubic inches—you can justify carrying a very large stove for dramatically less weight than anything existing. The smallest versions are true featherweights. Cooking surfaces are excellent. They are modular…use a “short” sidewall height for summer and early fall and switch to an optional “tall” sidewall height for late season and winter, from the same stove top/bottom and pipe. They also just look good! The appearance is brand new to the stove scene.

There will be more specifics when we can get final images taken. Thank you for your interest! I hope you all like these new stoves as much as I do. I think all this effort has been worth it.

Last edited:

Rizzy

WKR
Sounds fabulous, this is the stove I've been holding out for.
Anyone want to but a used parastove....lol

Hardstalk

WKR
I’ve been striving to create lighter, better stoves for at least three years. I co-designed the Ed T stove, getting my feet wet on what is now the commonplace “cylinder” stove approach. I held out for a truly flat cooking surface; Ed was ready to go to market with the design we had at that time, and so that’s what he did. I kept working on cylinder versions that were true “flat tops”. Meanwhile I developed extremely lightweight box stoves as well. All these prototypes were crafted of Titanium. I concluded that the box stoves just had too many parts—complicated to build and risky as regards lost parts. And I concluded that even though I could make horizontal cylinder stoves with admirable cooking surfaces it was often possible to “sag” the top with enough pot weight and a very hot fire. Still not good enough. I insist on BOTH warming heat and real cooking ability with my stoves. So I went an entirely new direction. You’ll see the images as soon as I can build the final versions…in a few days. (I think at some point I’ll also attempt to show images of the extensive assortment of “in between” stoves I’ve built the last few years. There is quite a pile of them.) Like all things Kifaru the final versions are released only after immense testing and rejection.

So. I finally hit on a “cylinder” design that does what I want. The cylinder is vertical, not horizontal. It is not round, it is elongated…for perfect feeding and cooking. The sidewall rolls up with the stovepipe. There are very, very, few loose “parts”. The stovepipe and stove assemble in a breakthrough way that we are patenting. The stoves are the lightest ever, especially for their combustion chamber cubic inches—you can justify carrying a very large stove for dramatically less weight than anything existing. The smallest versions are true featherweights. Cooking surfaces are excellent. They are modular…use a “short” sidewall height for summer and early fall and switch to an optional “tall” sidewall height for late season and winter, from the same stove top/bottom and pipe. They also just look good! The appearance is brand new to the stove scene.

There will be more specifics when we can get final images taken. Thank you for your interest! I hope you all like these new stoves as much as I do. I think all this effort has been worth it.

A couple things I would like to say. In regards to kifaru..and Aron.. First off I noticed on the kifaru blog Patrick posted in regards to this stove design, within minutes someone already started hating. Hating on the design as "dangerous and a cut waiting to happen" also stating " I hope the older design does not disappear. Its way better" I feel for a guy who gives traditionalism the middle finger. Who is always open to change and never in doubt about the endless possibilities of technology. Aron and kifaru know they wont please everyone. But monthly/semi-monthly you guys are introducing new products that are todays latest and greatest technology. Trying to reinvent the wheel to (in my mind) push the comfort and enjoyment of domesticated humans in the rmountains to a entirely new threshold. Im proud to be able to communicate with fellow "roksliders" in this day and age. With the pace that this market is evolving and changing its cool to be able to witness the forefront. Imagine 100+ years from now what designs will be utilized from the "bikini" frame or the new stove concept. Secondly I would like to dish out a sincere thank you. I may not be a customer that can buy every piece of kifaru gear introduced to the market. (As nice as that might be) but I appreciate the effort that goes into the equipment. And the fact that its made here in america. Keep on doing what your doing its inspiring in a sense. And fun as hell to watch from my perspective!

groc426

FNG
These look great! Can't wait to hear more about the specs and hopefully a video of the assembly :) Hope to hear more about burn times and how well it generates heat, compared to the cylinder and box designs. Thanks for sharing photos.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Damn. I thought my gear list was complete. Now I need a new wood stove for the 12 man tipi.

Now I'm really torn. I just bought a used 8 man tipi for an Alaskan moose hunt. Now I need a stove.

I was about to pull the trigger...

Now, I'm torn. I like the look of the new stove. But so does everyone else. So that means a lot of folks will be selling their old-style kifaru stoves.

- a super cool brand new stove...
- a cheap used, pretty cool old style stove...

Decisions, decisions...