New Kuiu Pro Suspension and Pro Bag Review

I've been playing with my new 3600 pack and pro suspension for the last week now. With 40#'s of wood pellets....what a great medium for practice...no salt, no dirty sand...anyways

I need some help. I've tried everything I can think of to get this thing fitted right. I'm just chasing my tail ending up in the same exact spot...and that's with ALL of the weight directly in the lumbar pad digging directly into my lower back. It's as though no matter what I try, I can't distribute the weight to the hips. I've tried lengthening the torso, I've tried going shorter, nothing changes. The best results I got, and it felt good, was where the top of the waist belt was actually just below the top of the ciliac crest. That was the only place I could actually get the waist belt to take the weight of the back evenly with the lumbar pad.

What it comes down to, is I have a fairly curved back...and it's like my lower back/pelvis creates a shelf for the frame to ride on and I think that's what is causing the lumbar pad pain. If I pull my hips forward and straighten out my back, it feels perfect. But other than that, it's like the pack is simply pivoting back and forth on a small 7x7" area.

Is this a me problem? Is this just one of those things where this system, sadly, just won't work with my body type?

LaHunter

WKR
I've been playing with my new 3600 pack and pro suspension for the last week now. With 40#'s of wood pellets....what a great medium for practice...no salt, no dirty sand...anyways

I need some help. I've tried everything I can think of to get this thing fitted right. I'm just chasing my tail ending up in the same exact spot...and that's with ALL of the weight directly in the lumbar pad digging directly into my lower back. It's as though no matter what I try, I can't distribute the weight to the hips. I've tried lengthening the torso, I've tried going shorter, nothing changes. The best results I got, and it felt good, was where the top of the waist belt was actually just below the top of the ciliac crest. That was the only place I could actually get the waist belt to take the weight of the back evenly with the lumbar pad.

What it comes down to, is I have a fairly curved back...and it's like my lower back/pelvis creates a shelf for the frame to ride on and I think that's what is causing the lumbar pad pain. If I pull my hips forward and straighten out my back, it feels perfect. But other than that, it's like the pack is simply pivoting back and forth on a small 7x7" area.

Is this a me problem? Is this just one of those things where this system, sadly, just won't work with my body type?
I’ve been trying out my new Pro belt during my 40# pack training sessions for the past few weeks. What seems to be the best fit for me is to position the lumbar pad at its lowest adjustment position. Also, I place the belt a little lower on my waist than I did with my Icon Pro belt. Also, I don’t need to tighten the belt as much to keep the belt in place. For me, this belt is more comfortable than the Icon Pro belt so far. The lumbar pad offers more cushion. Do you have the Delta straps too tight possibly? Sure you have the shoulder straps positioned correctly? What pack were you using prior to the Pro? Did you insert the additional pad into the lumbar pad sleeve, which would increase the thickness a pretty good bit?

Last edited:

ChrisAU

WKR

Are there any problems caused by letting it ride a little lower?

LaHunter

WKR
Not for me. It is just a fit and comfort thing. The way the new belt is made and shaped, it just seems a little more comfortable for me to position the belt a little lower than I did with my Icon Pro belt. I just had to adjust my shoulder straps a bit to get them to fit correctly.

Negative. Actually I made that post, then went for a quick 3.5mile jont. Felt pretty good riding lower, but I was also being very cognisant of my posture.

Half way around the block I loosened up my delta straps significantly and really let it ride on the hips and lumbar while putting a bit more tension on the load lifters to pick up the slack.

To be honest right now I feel great.

To answer another post, I'm not sure if extra padding on the lumbar is what I'm needing...It almost feels like I need a little less?
8cb6e3ea7e348bb0395de1a931d4043b.jpg

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would think you need less as well. Call kuiu and get another lumbar pad. Take the one you have and trim a half inch off, try it and see how it feels. Then trim another half inch off, do this until you get the feel you are looking for. The extra lumbar pad they send you just keep whole in the event you sell the pack. You could also take out the pad and put just the smaller secondary pad in to try.

Changing the thickness of the lumbar pad is the poor mans way of changing the profile of the stays/frame sheet if that makes sense.

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Little background, this is the Xtra Tall Frame with L/XL Suspension.
I'm 6'1, 210# with a 34" pant size waist.

You may also try a small/medium belt. At 34”, which I am, the s/m is a much better fit. The belt doesn’t bottom out at the buckle, but you get more waist belt contact as it contours more of your waist.

tdot

WKR

You wont get as much lift from the load lifters as you'll have effectively be dropping the top of the pack as well. This isnt necessarily a negative, just something to be aware of.

tdot

WKR
Negative. Actually I made that post, then went for a quick 3.5mile jont. Felt pretty good riding lower, but I was also being very cognisant of my posture.

Half way around the block I loosened up my delta straps significantly and really let it ride on the hips and lumbar while putting a bit more tension on the load lifters to pick up the slack.

To be honest right now I feel great.

To answer another post, I'm not sure if extra padding on the lumbar is what I'm needing...It almost feels like I need a little less?
8cb6e3ea7e348bb0395de1a931d4043b.jpg

Just a couple notes.

I agree that it sounds like you need to decrease the lumbar pad.

Delta straps are not meant to be super tight. Just snug and certainly shouldnt be distorting your waist belt. They are primarily there to help stabilize the pack from rocking side to side.

I'm not sure if it's the angle of the picture, or the way you're holding your arm. But a general rule is that the entire shoulder strap should still be in contact with your shoulder and even down your back. The load lifters just take the bulk of the force off the top of your shoulders, they shouldn't displace the strap so that there is visible space under it.

Personally I'd think that you are approaching the lowest that the pack can sit on you and still provide lift with anything more then 30+ pounds. Ideally an inch or so more height would likely be beneficial to you.

TravisIN

WKR
This may not be anything but just wondering. Think a tall frame instead of the extra tall would make a difference. We are a basically the same size 6’1 200 and a 34” waist. I also went the extra tall but I was right on the edge and wonder how a tall would perform in comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
This may not be anything but just wondering. Think a tall frame instead of the extra tall would make a difference. We are a basically the same size 6’1 200 and a 34” waist. I also went the extra tall but I was right on the edge and wonder how a tall would perform in comparison.

I'm 6'0", with a 19" torso, and I felt I should have gone with the XL for load carrying but the L was awesome with more moderate weights and the shorter height was great in the brush.

You're Torso is the more important dimension. Tall guys can be all leg and need a shorter pack.

Definitely agree with some of the points above. I switched from a L/XL to a S/M waist belt when I upgraded to the pro suspension. I wear 34 in Kuiu pants and they are a pretty good fit. The S/M waist belt fit much better and felt better to me.
Also agree to try less pad in the lumbar. Did you check to see if both inserts might have been in the lumbar pad when shipped? If so remove the extra pad and see how that feels.

The extra pad was shipped separately in the pack.
Fortunately I have a S/M to test out as my wife got a full kit as well. But I don't think that'll change anything. I have a good 4" on each side of the buckle when tight.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The extra pad was shipped separately in the pack.
Fortunately I have a S/M to test out as my wife got a full kit as well. But I don't think that'll change anything. I have a good 4" on each side of the buckle when tight.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

That 4” on each side of the buckle is what you don’t want. You want the buckles as close to waist belt padding as possible without bottoming out.

TravisIN

WKR
I'm 6'0", with a 19" torso, and I felt I should have gone with the XL for load carrying but the L was awesome with more moderate weights and the shorter height was great in the brush.

You're Torso is the more important dimension. Tall guys can be all leg and need a shorter pack.

Yea my torso was a very small fuzz over 19” which is why I went xl on the frame. I have done several 75lb hikes with it just to test and I feel it handles it great compared to the mr metcalf I had.